Quick thought on Ozzie

fathom

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 12:58 AM)
Ozzie is all about defining roles and giving his players confidence to finish and support & divert attention away from players that struggle.  HE MUST GET MAJOR KUDOS for developing this managerial pyschology.  remember Jerry Manuel?  taking pitchers out to protect em?  kicking dirt on the umpire when we were either 9 runs ahead or behind?  sitting in the dugout when he needed to charge out?  he had no clue on the pysch part of managing.  KW & OZZIE have proven themselves to me to be TRUE whitesox!

I'm glad there is someone besides me that realizes what a masterful job Ozzie did this year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 08:56 PM)
I've been bashing him all season, but I LOVED that he kept Jenks in for the 8th and 9th.  Jenks didn't even have close to his best stuff, yet he still was able to make tough pitches.  A lot of us got annoyed with how Ozzie would use 4 pitchers in an inning during the season.  However, Ozzie didn't do that tonight, and made the Red Sox beat our best closer (with Hermanson's bad back).  Good job Ozzie :cheers

Yeah, he does know what he's doing now

Anyone else think we didn't see the best of Bobby last night at all? I know he's been struggling as of late, and he was throwing a lot of those fastballs high and away last night. Not having a go at him, because he still got the job done, and for a rookie in his 1st season in a high pressure situation, that's fantastic, but Bobby can be better, he can get that curve over in the strike zone more, and he can get that fastball in on the hitters more.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 09:13 AM)
Anyone else think we didn't see the best of Bobby last night at all? I know he's been struggling as of late, and he was throwing a lot of those fastballs high and away last night. Not having a go at him, because he still got the job done, and for a rookie in his 1st season in a high pressure situation, that's fantastic, but Bobby can be better, he can get that curve over in the strike zone more, and he can get that fastball in on the hitters more.

We didn't see his best by a longshot. He didn't get one curve over for a strike, and he missed his spots a LOT with the fastball. Thankfully, Johnny Damon wasn't going to take a walk, and Edgar apparently just wanted to get the game over with.

QUOTE(rcpweiner @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 09:33 PM)
Wow. For a guy that has been ripping him all season, I'm glad to see you make this post. Well done.

Although I, for one, was completely against the move when he was brought back out in the 9th. But now. Wow. Jenks really proved to me he could be a stud closer all next year. K-Rod-esque.

All season? Where have YOU been all season?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 02:13 PM)

I was thinking about this today driving to work. It's amazing how far Jenks has come this year. He was able to get 6 outs against a great hitting/patient teams without anywhere near his best stuff. He was overthrowing his fastball, which made it lose velocity and either cut too much or stay high and up. His curve, besides for one or two, was just rolling to the plate. It's fantastic he was still able to get guys out for 2 innings with just his talent, and nothing else. It's a lot better than seeing a less talented player get burned just cause he doesn't have the stuff to get MLB hitters out. If I was a Red Sox fan, I'd be furious at the terrible Damon AB in the 9th.

A 96 plus MPH fastball is the best pitch in baseball especially after seeing Mark Buerhle 3 times prior to this. You can't hang a heater. Heat in the playoffs is a good thing, a very good thing.

As for Damon he could not change up on the approach that worked against Buerhle. He let the ball come to him all night. You have to attack it against Jenks if you let it come to you......well see the Damon and Olerud at-bats. Not sure if this was the White Sox mindset on leaving him out there but it worked.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 09:43 AM)
Maybe he was just experimenting during the regular season. I ripped him for managerial decisions alot during the season. It's nice to see he's making me eat crow and showing that he's not only a master motivator, but a competent manager.

9 more wins and he'll be a f***ing genius!

And I don't know about you ( well, I know about at least ONE of you :D ), but IF the Sox win the.....you know....( I can't bring myself to type that yet ), and Oz really did leave afterwards, I sure as hell wouldn't be happy to see him go.

I'd want AT LEAST one more season to thank him over and over and over. s***, he could turn Marte into a starter and I'd STILL give him a standing ovation!!!

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 04:00 PM)
9 more wins and he'll be a f***ing genius!

And I don't know about you ( well, I know about at least ONE of you   :D  ), but IF the Sox win the.....you know....( I can't bring myself to type that yet ), and Oz really did leave afterwards, I sure as hell wouldn't be happy to see him go.

I'd want AT LEAST one more season to thank him over and over and over. s***, he could turn Marte into a starter and I'd STILL give him a standing ovation!!!

LMAO

True Dat.

I can't type it either, and until we're there, NO ONE should.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 08:56 PM)
I've been bashing him all season, but I LOVED that he kept Jenks in for the 8th and 9th.  Jenks didn't even have close to his best stuff, yet he still was able to make tough pitches.  A lot of us got annoyed with how Ozzie would use 4 pitchers in an inning during the season.  However, Ozzie didn't do that tonight, and made the Red Sox beat our best closer (with Hermanson's bad back).  Good job Ozzie :cheers

hey, ive said it before and i'll say it again: it takes some cahones to admit you are wrong. i agree with you, leaving jenks in was the right move (very wasy to say in hidsight, but at the time i was for the move as well).

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 09:26 PM)
I'm still too scared to give credit to anyone because I am absolutely TERRIFIED because anything can happen and we haven't been here before.  I'm very hesitant to open my mouth at all, but I'll admit that OG has done a good job SO FAR.

I understand how you feel as you don't want to put the horse before the cart, what I'm learning is to let all those anxious and superstitious feelings go. I'm enjoying this immensely!

Of course if they lose 3 straight it would be tough as hell to swallow, but that shouldn't stop us from enjoying this 2 game lead. We know it's not over and we know the Red Sox are explosive and very dangerous, but I think we should enjoy this and believe in the team.

Normally, I would be saying let's not get too excited it's not over yet etc etc, but why not just enjoy the last two games for what they were... damn good White Sox winners!

I would suggest you not bite your tongue, just use common sense and don't talk out your ass just 'cuz the Sox are up 2-0.

Besides, if the Sox lose this series it won't be because of anything you did or said.....it would probably me MY fault. lol

:gosoxretro:

Props to Oz as well. and props to fathom, too. :cheers

Now maybe the jitters are out of Jenks and he can get his hanger over the rest of the playoffs.

I was terrified when I saw Marte warming up last night. That was the last thing we needed.

I was wondering if he was going to come in if Renteria got on, and have Ortiz launch one.

But we don't have to worry anymore.