Chris Berman?

SS Gload

He called us the worst fans in baseball back in 2003 because we booed Jerry Manuel at the All-Star Game. What about back in 1999 when the Red Sox faithful booed Roger Clemens? I don't even think redandwhite will be able to spin that one. The Astros fans did the same thing when they booed Jimy Williams back in 2004.

Berman also made a comment during Tuesday's game about how USCF will never be a ballpark near the top, but then follow it up with "but they have made improvements." :angry:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jamslam @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 09:47 PM)
Berman is an east coast blowhard!!!!

I dont like him calling these games bcoz he definitely is showing is colors when he calls the game. After Bosox scored 2 runs in the 1st, he kept saying how great Boston is bcoz they came back and hit us right away.

I really love how the fans are at the ballpark, if I have money I would love to join all the sox fans there. But the way they are supporting our team is making me more proud of being a SOX fan.

I've been tolerating him this series so far and his Red Sox asslicking....but when the ball went between Graffs legs and he yells, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......." that's when I was pretty much at the end of my rope with him.

I've actually enjoyed Sutcliffe and Piazza...they've added some pretty good insight. Does anybody else think that Piazza looks like he's 15 when they put the camera on all three of them.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 11:42 PM)
I've been tolerating him this series so far and his Red Sox asslicking....but when the ball went between Graffs legs and he yells, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......."  that's when I was pretty much at the end of my rope with him.

I've actually enjoyed Sutcliffe and Piazza...they've added some pretty good insight.  Does anybody else think that Piazza looks like he's 15 when they put the camera on all three of them.

He kinda remind me of Ron Santo when he did that. Which says a lot about where his loyalties are.

First, I hate National coverage to begin with because all they ever do is compare a player to Bonds, or Clemens, or other guys that they've been told to promote by station execs who are looking for ratings. Nobody in the National audience knows who craig Grabek is, so there's no point in mentioning him. They're not exactly gonna look at a team's farm system and discuss because they don't have time. But that's a whole other topic.

My hate for Berman has nothing to do with this series. I mainly hate him because he tries to make any event he's assigned to do more about himself rather than the event itself. He doesn't make a pleasant edition to the event. The worst part is that he's been doing the same shtick for 25 years now - IT'S OLD! STOP IT!!

Watch him Sunday morning, I predict all of these -

Will quote a mid to late 70's song lyric.

"The RAAAAIDERS".

(bad John Facenda voice)"The frozen tundra of Lambeau Field" - which John Facenda never said by the way.

At some point he'll turn to Tommy and ask some dumb question as a spring board for a Tom Jackson's piece by saying something like "They where helmets, they breathe air, Tommy tell us more, who are these guys?"

Watch him Sunday night you'll see:

"WHOP!" when somebody fumbles or misses a tackle. :gosoxretro:

"Rumblin', bumblin', stumblin'"

Somebody at ESPN needs to tell him that he's becoming very Madden-like and to tone it down.

QUOTE(SS Gload @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 09:21 PM)
Now I hate bad announcers as much as anyone else (cleveland indians/cavaliers, cubs) but why does anyone hate berman? Sure, he isn't that good of a baseball announcer, mainly known for his back back back back....gone calls, but he isn't like all up on boston's nuts right now. Im sure Red Sox fans would be pissed if the Hawk called the game, even though he is the greatest announcer ever. GO SOX! :gosox3:  :cheers

Berman is my favorite announcer from ESPN though

:chair :chair

:gosox3: :gosox3: :gosox4: :gosox4: :gosox2: :gosox2: :chair :gosox3: :gosox4: :gosox2: :fight :fight :cheers :cheers :fight :canada

Edited by SoxRock192

My favorite thing that idiot said was after Game One.

He said "tomorrow's game is a must-win for Chicago. If they go into Boston tied at a game apiece, this series might not come back to Chicago".

Eck-squeeze me?? Baking powder??

WHICH team just lost 14-2?

Acting like the Sox wouldn't be able to win one in Boston, give me a f***ing break. Best road record in MLB? Means nothing to Football Boy.

I've never missed Hawk as much as I have the past two days.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 06:27 AM)
If I have to put up with Berman to see the Sox in the postseason, so be it.

I suppose, but it would also be nice to have the option of listening to the announcers you'd listened to during the 162-game season. Or even to have Gary Thorne ( one of ESPN's only listenable play-by-play guys, along with Dan Schulman [sp?] ) do the Sox/BoCubs series rather than a guy like Berman, who is terrible.

I understand why they have exclusivity, and YES it beats not having the Sox there, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

So...am I the only one who has noticed that in game 1 the announcers were talking mostly about the White Sox? Then in game 2, when it looked like the Red Sox were going to blow out the White Sox they were talking mostly about Boston. Then when the White took over, it kind of went to a neutral ground, with some East Coast bias? These guys swing from the sack of whoever is winning or playing the better ball at the time. When Boston is winning, thier true colors show a little more, but that's fine with me. I would almost rather know that these guys are fans of certain teams, then just being fans of whoever pays them. It kind of bothers me to know that some of the announcers out there are only fans of who pays. Has anybody heard Dave Wills with the Rays this year? Is he sucking them as he did us for years? That would be more annoying to me than the ESPN guys.

Berman also apologized on air to Hawk last night for ruining his call, and said he knew most of Chicago would much rather be hearing Hawk at that moment, and that Hawk was one of his favorite announcers. So let it go that he f***ed up Hawk's call.

Right now I would MUCH rather have Hawk in the booth, but it ain't going to happen. I may as well also start wishing for Joe Jackson himself to step into the box and Buck Weaver to take Crede's spot at third to stop those Crede goofs from the past few days.

Mike Greeneberg this morning said he was a diehard Yankees fan. That bothered me more than any of these nutswingers. Greenie spent years here, but obviously that effected him none.

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 07:51 AM)
I don't have to listen to any of these announcers...since I'll be at all the games. :P

:cheers

And now one of my partners just called to ask about road tripping the Series... :headbang

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 08:03 AM)
Mike Greeneberg this morning said he was a diehard Yankees fan. That bothered me more than any of these nutswingers. Greenie spent years here, but obviously that effected him none.

Why would this bother you? He may have interned in chicago, but he is from New York. If you moved to New York for an internship, would you expect to change allegiances?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 07:40 AM)
Why would this bother you?  He may have interned in chicago, but he is from New York. If you moved to New York for an internship, would you expect to change allegiances?

True. Same goes for Gammons being a Red Sox fan. As a broadcaster, he's supposed to be unbiased, but he is a Red Sox fan first and foremost. I thought he was pretty fair after the game.

I'm listening to the game on ESPN radio at work, and I had to listen to Buck Martinez go on an on about how smart David Wells is. He sets guys up, blah blah blah. Must have had a brain cramp when Iguchi took him deep.