Chris Berman?

SS Gload

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 08:40 AM)
Why would this bother you?  He may have interned in chicago, but he is from New York. If you moved to New York for an internship, would you expect to change allegiances?

Yeah, I kind of figured he was from New York because he never wants to give Chicago teams their dap. Like when he said he would drop the 96 Bulls down to the 3rd or 4th best team ever behind the 83 Sixers(which I agree was a good team, but they didn't win enough).

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smart money says that we will get Joe Buck (who is very good) and Tim McCarver who is , well Tim McCarver. Not sure if Bret Boone will join them this year or not. The NL will likely get Thom Brenneman and Steve Lyons. They won't have Al Leiter this year so I don't know who else they will get. This probably could get switched if the series didn't have Boston and NY but St. Louis advances. Buck is the A-team so it's hard to say although I think the AL will get him no matter what

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 09:25 AM)
Smart money says that we will get Joe Buck (who is very good) and Tim McCarver who is , well Tim McCarver.  Not sure if Bret Boone will join them this year or not. The NL will likely get Thom Brenneman and Steve Lyons. They won't have Al Leiter this year so I don't know who else they will get.  This probably could get switched if the series didn't have Boston and NY but St. Louis advances. Buck is the A-team so it's hard to say although I think the AL will get him no matter what

I've never really understood the McCarver bashing. He says some really obvious things, but not everyone who watches the playoffs is a die-hard baseball fan. So, it's kind of nice to have the announcer explain things.

Boone added nothing to the booth. Bret, when all else fails, cry.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 08:40 AM)
Why would this bother you?  He may have interned in chicago, but he is from New York. If you moved to New York for an internship, would you expect to change allegiances?

Eh, good point. I guess it is because he spent sooo much time covering the teams around here, and he usually brings that up. But yeah, then I guess it's pretty cool that he still has his team.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 10:35 AM)
I've never really understood the McCarver bashing.  He says some really obvious things, but not everyone who watches the playoffs is a die-hard baseball fan.  So, it's kind of nice to have the announcer explain things. 

Boone added nothing to the booth.  Bret, when all else fails, cry.

I agree. McCarver catches alot of s*** around here for doing his job properly which is basically play simpleton for the casual fans out there.

QUOTE(WinningUgly85 @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 07:08 PM)
I understand that ESPN is Broadcasting the playoffs but seriously Why can't they have Hawk and some Boston commentator in during these games.  One commentator from each team.  Its better than Berman.

1)A fight might break out.

2)One would have to be a play by play guy which really doesn't have a chance to be homeristic while the color guy could say whatever and promote his team most of the time.

3)They would clash and chances are they wouldn't sound professional in the least bit.

Picture yourself watching the game and listening to two commentators one from each team. It starts off with boasting stats, and it ever so gently escalades into heated arguments, that eventually ends up in the two focusing on each other and not the game. It would be havoc, imagine trying to pay attention to the game in front of you why’ll these two people keep stealing your attention. You could never have this, but I wouldn’t mind seeing this maybe once.

I think the poor national play-by-play is a disgrace. I'm no Bob Costas fan, but give me him and Jim Morgan for 9 innings and I might like it.

Joe Buck: pompous jerk, benefactor of nepetism

Gammons: east coast schmuch, has perfected the "nerdy baseball stat geek"

Kurkan: Gammons lite. This guy was obviously the scorekeeper for the varsity team.

Sutcliffe: not bad actually, not good, just not bad either.

Whoever-was-on AT/HOUSTON tonight: terrible, worst I've heard. The play-by play guy almost blew his load over Curt Schilling, who has exactly one clutch series in his career. The analyst didn't do anything good either.

I still long for the days of "Hawk, Wimpy and the crew"

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 08:17 PM)
Berman violates the number one part of his job:

He ain't the show. The game is.

Hit mute and listen to Rooney and Farmio

There's about a 10-12 second delay between ESPN's HD feed and the radio broadcast.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 10:51 PM)
The play-by play guy almost blew his load over Curt Schilling, who has exactly one clutch series in his career.  The analyst didn't do anything good either.

Steve Lyons? Schilling was good in Arizona and in Boston for the playoffs. He wasnt clutch only one time

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 10:51 PM)
I think the poor national play-by-play is a disgrace.  I'm no Bob Costas fan, but give me him and Jim Morgan  for 9 innings and I might like it.

Joe Buck: pompous jerk, benefactor of nepetism

Gammons: east coast schmuch, has perfected the "nerdy baseball stat geek"

Kurkan: Gammons lite.  This guy was obviously the scorekeeper for the varsity team.

Sutcliffe: not bad actually, not good, just not bad either.

Whoever-was-on AT/HOUSTON tonight: terrible, worst I've heard.  The play-by play guy almost blew his load over Curt Schilling, who has exactly one clutch series in his career.  The analyst didn't do anything good either.

Joe?

QUOTE(SS Gload @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 10:21 PM)
Now I hate bad announcers as much as anyone else (cleveland indians/cavaliers, cubs) but why does anyone hate berman? Sure, he isn't that good of a baseball announcer, mainly known for his back back back back....gone calls, but he isn't like all up on boston's nuts right now. Im sure Red Sox fans would be pissed if the Hawk called the game, even though he is the greatest announcer ever. GO SOX! :gosox3:  :cheers

1. Cause he sucks

2. He's annoying with his nicknames and everything else

3. He's badmouthed the Sox in the all star game

4. He works for ESPN

5. Did iu mention he's annoying and he sucks?

Joe Morgan sucks too. He's annoying. Thinks eveyone has to be as good as he was. Thinks he knows it all. Wants to explain everything. Give me Gary Thorne any day.

Tim McCarver sucks too.

A lot of these think cause thye were players they sound right and know it all but they're annoying. Most of the ESPN crew is brutal.

ESPN'S WORST:

1. Chris Berman

2. Harold Reynolds

3. Jeff brantley

4. Joe Morgan

ESPN'S NOT GOOD NOT BAD

1. Rick Sutcliffe

2. Tony Gwynn

3. Rob Dibble

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 11:06 PM)
1. Cause he sucks

2. He's annoying with his nicknames and everything else

3. He's badmouthed the Sox in the all star game

4. He works for ESPN

5. Did iu mention he's annoying and he sucks?

That pretty much sums it up. But after reading alot of these posts...it's kinda hard to bash somebody that has alliances. Just put yourself in that spot if you were announcing the game. I think in the 1st inning of the 2nd game...If I was announcing...you probably would have heard..."GODDAMMIT CREDE!!!...." and probably woulda pissed my pants on the air. So...I guess I can understand the alliances...as annoying as they may be. But that doesn't take away from the fact...I'm sick of listening to Berman. I have a hard time watching Prime Time because of him.

My Take:

Buck is very good if you watch him do Cardinal games. He does the National games more, well, corporate I guess. His personality is better suited for those St. Louis games, watch him do them sometime if you can

Brenneman: Maybe the best. Prone to hyperbole but he does get very interested in the games which is nice.

Brantley-I really like Jeff. That said, I think he's better in the studio where he doesn't harp as much. Workign with Steve Stone actually balanced him out pretty good.

Suttcliffe-I think he's extremely good. He will praise a guy and rip him too. He'll call it how he sees it in general. I think lately he's been a little too starstruck but if you watch him do a Padres-Braves game-you'll get good analysis

Berman-Phones it in completely. Comes off genrealyl underprepared because he feels as an old pro that he can wing it. They fly him all over to do many different sports but he is not that good as a pbp guy. He doesn't know the players that well so he does schtick.

A guy you should listen to if you get a chance is Bob Carpenter. He does weekend Cardinal games and then does some ESPN work usually on Monday Night Baseball. Pretty good announcer. I think Dave O'Brien is usually pretty decent too. I think Morgan knows a lot but he is stubborn with his views and a little high and mighty while Miller used to be rpetty good but now just tries to make Joe laugh by doing schtick. He has phoned it in a lot these last few years