Graffy, Man of the Year!

Texsox

I always liked Graffy, but today's game really moved him up a few more notches in my book. When the Red Sox cut him, and they will, I'd love to see him back in Chicago

on the Cubs :gosox3:

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 02:54 AM)
Just remember, if he were on the White Sox he'd be a starter. Ignore the defense, he'd be our best hitter. :rolly

He's made two errors, if im remembering correctly including tonight, since joining the Red Sox. This quote has been disected, explained, etc. in every which way.

Seriously, get some new material.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 09:56 PM)
He's made two errors, if im remembering correctly including tonight, since joining the Red Sox.  This quote has been disected, explained, etc. in every which way.

Seriously, get some new material.

Seriously, why not post there instead of trolling here? There are Red Sox message boards? :headshake

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 09:55 PM)
I hope you're not saying he won't be tendered a contract because the error tonight...

No, he won't be tendered a contract because the Red Sox have a gazillion dollars and will not have a mediocre 2Bman back next year.

The error won't help him though.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 03:05 AM)
No, he won't be tendered a contract because the Red Sox have a gazillion dollars and will not have a mediocre 2Bman back next year.

The error won't help him though.

money won't be a factor. Dustin Pedroia, making the league minimum, will be the starting second baseman next season. Of course Hanley Ramirez is another option.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 10:06 PM)
money won't be a factor.  Dustin Pedroia, making the league minimum, will be the starting second baseman next season.  Of course Hanley Ramirez is another option.

The point remains that Graffy won't be starting next year in Boston

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 03:06 AM)
money won't be a factor.  Dustin Pedroia, making the league minimum, will be the starting second baseman next season.  Of course Hanley Ramirez is another option.

Actually im pretty sure Renteria said he would move to 2B for Hanley didnt he. Anyways we arent saying Graffy is a bad defender because that 1 error... he did used to be on the white sox and we do know more about him than you would think.... because regardless of your name its clear you only follow one sox.

I hope you're not saying he won't be tendered a contract because the error tonight...

When he goes back to his career norms next season, you won't like him as much and neither will the Red Sox.

By the way, does anyone remember Graffanino's terrible error in a game against the Cubs when he was still playing for us? It ended up blowing the game for us. A guy on ESPN 1000 brought it up earlier.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 10:10 PM)
Actually im pretty sure Renteria said he would move to 2B for Hanley didnt he.  Anyways we arent saying Graffy is a bad defender because that 1 error... he did used to be on the white sox and we do know more about him than you would think.... because regardless of your name its clear you only follow one sox.

precisely

One night in 2003, a friend and I saw Graffy warming up in the bullpen. I swear it is true. Was anyone else there that night too? I'm fairly certain it was a joke, as it was a 2-run game.

I also remember the game where Graffy was a triple shy of the cycle. He hit a ball that I think we all thought would do it, but it went over the fence at the last minute.

He'd be a good backup IF and/or replacement for Crede.

He's been a class act and a contributor his entire career.  I'll like him equally as I do now.

He's always been a good contributor off the bench. He's never produced like this in his entire career and likely won't next season. That's my point.

He'd be a good backup IF and/or replacement for Crede.

Graffanino always sucked at 3rd base. 2nd base is his best position. He's definately not an everyday 3rd baseman. But you're right about him being a good backup infielder.

Edited by SSH2005

I can't figure all the man love for Graffy. He's on Bawlston because of an emergency. He's not the guy Bawlston will want long term. He'll pack up his 2 bedroom efficiency and head on down the road to another town, and Bawlston fans will have another man-love crush on whomever is playing second.

Graffy has been an outstanding utility man. He routinely plays every infield position. Problem is he isn't great at any one of those positions. After almost 10 mlb seasons, for 51 games or so, he batted .319 for Bawlston. And some people will ignore the hundreds of games before when he was a career .268 kind of guy and call him a great hitter.

9 years, 700 games as a .268 vs. 51 games at .319 :bang

Can I hear a big Duh! He's not that good.

I can't figure all the man love for Graffy. He's on Bawlston because of an emergency. He's not the guy Bawlston will want long term. He'll pack up his 2 bedroom efficiency and head on down the road to another town, and Bawlston fans will have another man-love crush on whomever is playing second.

Graffy has been an outstanding utility man. He routinely plays every infield position. Problem is he isn't great at any one of those positions. After almost 10 mlb seasons, for 51 games or so, he batted .319 for Bawlston. And some people will ignore the hundreds of games before when he was a career .268 kind of guy and call him a great hitter.

9 years, 700 games as a .268 vs. 51 games at .319   :bang

Can I hear a big Duh! He's not that good.

I've been trying to get this point across to redandwhite. He's not biting though. If Graffanino hits .300+ with a .360+ OBP next season, I will eat my shoe. I agree that Graffanino is a good player but he's not this good.

Edited by SSH2005

He's a man without a position. Perhaps the best utility man in the game today. I'm trying to think of a guy who you can pencil in anywhere on the infield and feel confident he'll cover his position. The offense he has produced all this season is a great bonus. He's also a nice man. But he's not the starter at any position on most mlb teams. The Sox have a rookie who is outplaying Graffy.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 03:32 AM)
I've been trying to get this point across to redandwhite.  He's not biting though.  If Graffanino hits .300+ with a .360+ OBP next season, I will eat my shoe.

Its not that I'm not biting, I am listening to everything youre saying with open ears and while he obviously won't repeat the season he had this year, and I'd be foolish to think that, I think he'll be a very solid second baseman for whoever signs him.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 03:12 AM)
When he goes back to his career norms next season, you won't like him as much and neither will the Red Sox.

By the way, does anyone remember Graffanino's terrible error in a game against the Cubs when he was still playing for us?  It ended up blowing the game for us.  A guy on ESPN 1000 brought it up earlier.

In extra innings, he forgot to tag Eric Young going into 3rd base on a bunt. Stairs hit a sac fly, and we lost because of it.