ESPN gives props to Sox

TheBigHurt

I enjoyed those 2 games so much. I've yelled so loud, my throat is raw and sore, and I've been poping in throat drops the last 2 days. Anyways, it was nice, now that we are in the playoffs, to hear more about or strengths than our weaknesses, to hear good things instead of negativity, to hear about how GOOD a team we are. The ESPN crew has been really gracious, and really have given the White Sox their due credit, actually, to me, making this series a lot more fun. I appreciate it greatly.

GO SOX!!!!!!!

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 09:38 AM)
I enjoyed those 2 games so much. I've yelled so loud, my throat is raw and sore, and I've been poping in throat drops the last 2 days. Anyways, it was nice, now that we are in the playoffs, to hear more about or strengths than our weaknesses, to hear good things instead of negativity, to hear about how GOOD a team we are. The ESPN crew has been really gracious, and really have given the White Sox their due credit, actually, to me, making this series a lot more fun. I appreciate it greatly.

GO SOX!!!!!!!

You must be talking about every BBT announcer who has had to change their pick, mid-series, so that they wont look wrong. Ravich sure didnt appreciate Gammons changing his mind, and let him know last night. I really dont think that ESPN has focused on the White Sox winning as much as they have focused on what the Red Sox have to do to come back and win the series.

And I am getting pretty annoyed at ESPN pimping Bill Simmons book about the Red Sox during every commercial break. It really shows their bias, if you ask me.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 09:44 AM)
You must be talking about every BBT announcer who has had to change their pick, mid-series, so that they wont look wrong. Ravich sure didnt appreciate Gammons changing his mind, and let him know last night. I really dont think that ESPN has focused on the White Sox winning as much as they have focused on what the Red Sox have to do to come back and win the series.

And I am getting pretty annoyed at ESPN pimping Bill Simmons book about the Red Sox during every commercial break. It really shows their bias, if you ask me.

I know, it is just arrogant, they also had that on Jim Rome Is Burning couple weeks back

QUOTE(SoxRock192 @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 09:46 AM)
I know, it is just arrogant, they also had that on Jim Rome Is Burning couple weeks back

Going on Rome is different. Rome has Simmons on his show more than a few times during the year. But this is a game between the team that the book is about and another team. They could run the commercial on ESPNews, the deuce, even the Ocho if they want. But not during the game.

did anyone catch BBT right before the series started??? The host asked Brantley why he thought the Red Sox would win....then he turned to Kruk and asked why the White Sox would win. The camera cut to Kruk and i swear he got a bad case of hemaroids as he made a painful face and started reading the script. i love the fact they made that tool say something good about the sox. Face it Kruk...someone had to tell you your career was over...just happened to be the Sox.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 10:44 AM)
Ravich sure didnt appreciate Gammons changing his mind, and let him know last night.

Didn't Gammons pick the White Sox in 5 games? That's what is on ESPN.com. Did Gammons decide he liked the Red Sox yesterday or something? What was the back and forth on that?

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 10:55 AM)
Didn't Gammons pick the White Sox in 5 games?  That's what is on ESPN.com. Did Gammons decide he liked the Red Sox yesterday or something?  What was the back and forth on that?

I never actually heard him flip flop, but I have it on good, accountable sources(ok, maybe the chat crew isnt either of those, but they....ah nevermind) that Gammons went on the air and picked the Red Sox after he picked the White Sox in 5 in his online picks.

Maybe he will just go on the air and say he was misquoted.

Gammons :chair Common Sense

espn doesn't affect my enjoyment of white sox baseball one way or another.

the only thing i can say has remotely spurred a reaction from me is when brantley looked at the camera and declared "the white sox are not going to the playoffs" earlier in the season. it's been somewhat enjoyable to see that mullet-wearing douche proved wrong.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 09:44 AM)

I'm really losing all respect for ESPN's baseball coverage. Listening to Berman, Piazza and Sutcliffe is PAINFUL. Everytime someone hits a line shot, Piazza keeps saying, "Wow. He hit that ball FIRMLY." Or, when Rowand makes a routine catch in the outfield, he "FIRMLY put the squeeze on that ball." Piazza sucks.

Berman sucks even more. All he talks about is how "people know little about this White Sox team" blah blah blah. Newsflash, Boomer. You're the f***ing play-by-play guy. Know something about each team before you sit you fat, overrated ass in the chair before gametime.

It just shocks me how these announcers stand for nothing. They announce these games so dispassionately. No matter how easy it is to criticize Hawk and no matter how bushleague DJ is, I would take those two guys in a second. And, I'm not just saying that because they're homers. I guarantee...GUARANTEE...that Hawk and DJ no more about the RED SOX than those f***ing assclown strokes in the booth for ESPN.

ESPN, you know nothing about baseball. I f***ing hate you.

I'm sorry, who are these hacks of which you are speaking? Until the White Sox win something, they can say anything they want. Of course, they are still no-talent ass clowns, but, the more games the White Sox win, the more Brantley's mullet mulletizes, Gammons waddle droops, Reynolds stutter increases and Morgan gets angrier.

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 11:24 AM)
I wish we could have Bob Costace (I know I spelled that wrong) doing the games.  He is the best TV play by play man I have ever heard.  He has such a way with words, he is perfect for baseball.

When they had the Angels-Yankees game on...and I saw Jon Miller...I pined for him (and his bald-llet). I could do without Morgan, though.

I think that at least one of the announcers of the home team should be present through the playoffs. One national guy, one home guy, one sutcliffe type-ex player commentator.

Its too bad ESPN didnt employ Steve Stone for the broadcasts, he is better than all of the guys they have doing the games now.

Stone would have been an excellent choice. Him and Steve Phillips work well together. Some here think he's an idiot for being a bad GM but he does his homework and balances knowledge of stats and tools well. He doesn't phone in his color commentary. Plus him and Stone have good chemistry. Unfortunately, Berman's ego means he is the guys who swoops in for big baseball games even though he doesn't know that much

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 11:38 AM)
Stone would have been an excellent choice.  Him and Steve Phillips work well together. Some here think he's an idiot for being a bad GM but he does his homework and balances knowledge of stats and tools well. He doesn't phone in his color commentary. Plus him and Stone have good chemistry. Unfortunately, Berman's ego means he is the guys who swoops in for big baseball games even though he doesn't know that much

Berman is the face of ESPN. As much as Dan Patrick and Stuart Scott work 3-4 different shows, Berman has been there since the beginning with Bob Ley. And Patrick and Stuart, that I know of, have never done play-by-play. At least Boomer isn't a one trick pony (except for his nicknames, of course).

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 09:48 AM)
Going on Rome is different. Rome has Simmons on his show more than a few times during the year.  But this is a game between the team that the book is about and another team.  They could run the commercial on ESPNews, the deuce, even the Ocho if they want.  But not during the game.

as someone who has worked in broadcasting for over 6 years now, i can assure you that espn doesnt care. if you pay to advertise on espn during the playoffs and pay for it, they are not going to run your commercials on another channel because of a percieved bias. the advertiser paid for baseball playoff placement on the channel the game is on, not baseball playoff placement on another channel that no one who cares about baseball would be watching. just like any other station, they would run an add for the KKK if the KKK paid enough for it. Obviously they are collecting top dollar for the placement of the ad, which whoever is paying for the commercial probably had to bid to get. This is how broadcasters make money- people pay for commercials. Do you expect them to turn down an offer to pay for a ton of advertising? ESPN or no ESPN, no station is stupid enough to turn down a s***load of money, which ESPN is getting from that author or whoever is paying for the commercials.

QUOTE(bighurt2719 @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 04:45 PM)
as someone who has worked in broadcasting for over 6 years now, i can assure you that espn doesnt care. if you pay to advertise on espn during the playoffs and pay for it, they are not going to run your commercials on another channel because of a percieved bias. the advertiser paid for baseball playoff placement on the channel the game is on, not baseball playoff placement on another channel that no one who cares about baseball would be watching. just like any other station, they would run an add for the KKK if the KKK paid enough for it. Obviously they are collecting top dollar for the placement of the ad, which whoever is paying for the commercial probably had to bid to get. This is how broadcasters make money- people pay for commercials. Do you expect them to turn down an offer to pay for a ton of advertising? ESPN or no ESPN, no station is stupid enough to turn down a s***load of money, which ESPN is getting from that author or whoever is paying for the commercials.

yep.

QUOTE(bighurt2719 @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 11:45 AM)

As someone who worked in radio for over 5 years, I agree with you completely.(except for the KKK. Good analogy, but we both know there is no amount of money that the KKK could offer to get an ad on ESPN).

And it is an ESPN promotion, so it really isnt an ad. It doesnt change the fact in my mind that it shows an obvious bias in what is supposed to be a national broadcast. I know how the system works, Im just b****ing. ;)

I was also getting annoyed at the constant showing of the comeback stat. ESPN was trying to will the Red Sox into a win.

I'm really losing all respect for ESPN's baseball coverage. Listening to Berman, Piazza and Sutcliffe is PAINFUL. Everytime someone hits a line shot, Piazza keeps saying, "Wow. He hit that ball FIRMLY." Or, when Rowand makes a routine catch in the outfield, he "FIRMLY put the squeeze on that ball." Piazza sucks.

I just think that Piazza likes to use the words "ball" and "firmly" in the same sentence.