Giambi - Comeback player of the year..

Steff

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 04:18 PM)
Yeah,let's all feel sorry for that poor steroid abuser who used them to get an edge above the competition.

Why don't you ask Frank what he thinks of Giambi?  Frank losts million due to that cheater who f***ing lied to the entire fanbase of the MLB. 

Remember the ESPN interview?  "Did you ever use steroids?"  (Paraphrasing) "No, and that's what upsets me because I worked my butt off and people make these kinds of accusations."

:headshake

Dont you know, santo=dorf? Giambis brother said they regret it, so we should all forget about it and move on.

Even if Jason himself apologized to the media truthfully, and not in that bulls*** roundabout way he did before the season started, he would never earn another individual award in my eyes again. He shamed himself, embarrassed the game, and still is in line to collect more than 80 million dollars.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)
Rock,

who would you have winning the award in the American League?

Bry Nelson

Honestly though, a player on Roids, coming back from getting off his cheater juice? Come on. Might as well call it the, we are happy you could actually hit the ball while not cheating award.

BTW Wickman

2004-30G 30IP 14ER 26k's 0-2 13sv's 4.25

2005 64G 62IP 17ER 41k's 0-4 45sv's 2.47

2002 20 sv's 4.46

Pretty good comeback.

Edited by RockRaines

i'm not sure if he's eligible, but how about a member of our own team?

Scott Podsednik? I know it isn't huge, but people wrote him off last year as a one year wonder. Yes, he hit more homers and had more RBI's, but his average is higher, OBP is higher and his SB are on par with what he did last year. He played more games last year and had 70 SB...played around 125 this year and had 59 SBs? Just a thought.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
I'm pretty sure had Frank won that MVP in 2000, the Sox would've been unable to exercise the "Diminished Skills" clause costing Frank MILLIONS.

But it's all fair because Giambi said he's sorry.

Frank used to live near Giambi and he said that he is pretty good friends with Giambi.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 10:55 PM)
Frank used to live near Giambi and he said that he is pretty good friends with Giambi.

Link? Giambi has lived in California his whole life, Thomas grew up down South and lived in Chicago ever since.

And friends or not, Giambi still cheated Thomas out of the MVP in 2000.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 05:55 PM)

Im sorry Josh, I had no idea that you, Frank and Jason were boys. When Jason came clean to you, and only to you, It must have been an emotional time.

Me? I think that Jeremy is a swell guy, when we hung out he explained to me how Jason never really meant any harm when he consistently pumped himself up with roids and cheated the game.

And since they are friends, its ok that he cheated.

Get a grip Josh. The guy is a cheater. I wouldnt be surprised if he found something else to satisfy his roid jones when he was hitting .200 and all of the sudden found his power and hitting stroke.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 07:01 PM)
Im sorry Josh, I had no idea that you, Frank and Jason were boys. When Jason came clean to you, and only to you, It must have been an emotional time.

Me?  I think that Jeremy is a swell guy, when we hung out he explained to me how Jason never really meant any harm when he consistently pumped himself up with roids and cheated the game.

And since they are friends, its ok that he cheated.

Get a grip Josh.  The guy is a cheater.  I wouldnt be surprised if he found something else to satisfy his roid jones when he was hitting .200 and all of the sudden found his power and hitting stroke.

LOOK THE GUY DESERVES TO BE PUNISHED! He was wrong and he cheated but move on. With what he went through during last year i think he learned his lesson. He is just a good hitter. Hate him or not you have to give him credit for not backing down when he could've just as easily quit.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 07:08 PM)
LOOK THE GUY DESERVES TO BE PUNISHED!  He was wrong and he cheated but move on.  With what he went through during last year i think he learned his lesson.  He is just a good hitter.  Hate him or not you have to give him credit for not backing down when he could've just as easily quit.

No, you seem to be trying to tell everyone that he is a nice guy, so we should just forget about it. I dont want to forget about it, its f***ing bulls***. I give him credit for NOTHING. He didnt learn any lesson. He didnt get punished. He got PAID. And now, he is getting rewarded.

Ignore the facts all you want Josh. This comeback player of the year award is a travesty.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 07:12 PM)
No, you seem to be trying to tell everyone that he is a nice guy, so we should just forget about it. I dont want to forget about it, its f***ing bulls***.  I give him credit for NOTHING. He didnt learn any lesson. He didnt get punished. He got PAID. And now, he is getting rewarded.

Ignore the facts all you want Josh. This comeback player of the year award is a travesty.

the facts are he had a great season and is a good hitter. THOSE ARE FACTS! You know what im sick of people attacking me for having an opinion. I don't attack you for having an opinion. What makes a message board fun is having an opinion and being able to express it without being attacked.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 10:15 PM)
Bry Nelson

Honestly though, a player on Roids, coming back from getting off his cheater juice?  Come on.  Might as well call it the, we are happy you could actually hit the ball while not cheating award.

BTW Wickman

2004-30G 30IP 14ER 26k's 0-2 13sv's 4.25

2005 64G 62IP 17ER 41k's 0-4 45sv's 2.47

2002 20 sv's 4.46

Pretty good comeback.

Whats the Bry Nelson reference, ha, I don't understand the joke.

As for Giambi, there were rumors this year that he was on Growth Hormone which aided his comeback. Regardless, I am just not of the belief that steroids and steroids alone turn you from a nuisance to one of the most productive hitters in the game.

As for Wickman, he had an excellent season. You might be right about this one. About time.. :P :)

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 08:44 PM)
Regardless, I am just not of the belief that steroids and steroids alone turn you from a nuisance to one of the most productive hitters in the game.

No, but I do believe it could elevate mediocre to good, and good to great.

The MLB might be testing for steroids right now (however mediocre the testing process may be) but they still aren't testing for HGH and a couple othere perfomance enhancing substances. I can't stand the bulls*** people spew, I have no idea how many times I've heard "See he's putting up great numbers without the aid of performance enhancing drugs, he's a great pure talent and needs no foreign substance to help him succeed." when in fact there is absolutely no f***ing gaurantee at all that anyone in baseball is "clean". They still don't test for everything and the current testing process is flawed beyond belief. Once they put a test for HGH and everything else in place then maybe I'll believe that some of these guys are doing what they're doing on their own and without the help of a performance enhancing substance, until then I refuse to just say that a guy is clean because of the current testing.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 09:19 PM)
The MLB might be testing for steroids right now (however mediocre the testing process may be) but they still aren't testing for HGH and a couple othere perfomance enhancing substances. I can't stand the bulls*** people spew, I have no idea how many times I've heard "See he's putting up great numbers without the aid of performance enhancing drugs, he's a great pure talent and needs no foreign substance to help him succeed." when in fact there is absolutely no f***ing gaurantee at all that anyone in baseball is "clean". They still don't test for everything and the current testing process is flawed beyond belief. Once they put a test for HGH and everything else in place then maybe I'll believe that some of these guys are doing what they're doing on their own and without the help of a performance enhancing substance, until then I refuse to just say that a guy is clean because of the current testing.

Exactly, and you can be certain that a guy who cheated once wouldn't be afraid to cheat again. They know exactly what MLB is testing for, and the drug makers are always one step ahead of the tests.

If you are taking any form of Test, it cannot be traced. Unless of course Major League Baseball is going to suspend you for having inflated testosterone levels which obviously won't happen.

The point is, steroids will never be completely ridden from sports. There are always new kinds, new blockers, etc. being created and that process won't stop, ever.

In my opinion, Giambi shouldn't be eligible to win any award from here on out. It's not like all the muscle he gained from overdosing on steroids just melted away since he got off of them. He's still pounding out those homers because of how steroids changed his body. Giambi winning any award is a joke, whether it's the 2000 MVP or the 2005 Comeback award.

On the other hand, Griffey deserved it. Another guy who really should have been up there with Griffey is Tony Clark. Check out the ridiculous numbers that Tony Clark put up in only 349 at bats.

http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/NASApp...layer_id=112316

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 09:54 PM)
No, but I do believe it could elevate mediocre to good, and good to great.

Giambi was a great contact hitter while in the minors. He got on base at a good clip and hit the ball with frequency. Steroids turned him into a homerun god and an AL MVP.

The fact is he cheated, and his old stature shouldnt count for anything. As far as I am concerned, this may be the REAL Giambi for the first time, and he is not deserving of a comeback award. IMO I dont think he should ever be eligable for any award, and I still think the AL MVP should be stripped.