Ticket Master and the ALCS

ChiSox9

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 09:36 AM)
Forget the payday I would have just liked to see Game 1 of the ALCS.  I have used brokers before and ended up paying $800.00 total for 2 Paul McCartney tickets about 3 years ago.  The broker had told me there were 4 available so I talked to the people sitting next to me (the other 2 tickets) and they had said they had gotten theirs from a friend for face value (obviously the ticket broker).

One of my best friends was a part-time ticket broker. He gave me no inside info, as far as how they beat the system or get all their good seats, but always had a couple of freebies for the big events for me. Unfortunately he moved to California a few years ago.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 11:00 AM)
what did you decide to do on that?

After much deliberation.... and Jim's begging for a new driver :rolly , they are still in my possession and promised to a friend and my dad. My dad said "sell the damn thing..." but he missed the '00 playoff games so I want to be sure I get him to these.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 07:28 AM)
I know a lot, and a lot more ST holders that did it.

We've sold our tix for the Yankees series and I think a lot of ticket holders with multiple tickets sell there seats to recoup some of the costs of both the season and playoffs. If you have 4 seats, you could just go 2 to every game and sell the other two and end up paying off all your playoff tickets (which are pretty expensive and I think every stadium has the same price because MLB governs it) and than even recoup some of the season fees, all while you get to watch every playoff game you want.

Trust me, its not all brokers. I think the big problem was there was a server issue at Ticketmaster and for once it wasn't a server issue caused by me.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 12:24 AM)
Bulls***, We would not get screwed as much as we did today. If we could wait in line we can "control our own destiny"  and not depend on the flaws of the ticket master system.

there is no flaw in the ticketmaster system. like i said, the only flaw is that dumbasses are willing to pay the ticket brokers and scalpers for the tickets. the brokers would go away if people would just stop paying ridiculous prices for their service.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 10:09 AM)
Approx 5 to 7K to MLB and 3K to the Sox (office folks and players - who by they way had to PAY for their tickets... )

My heart goes out to those poor guys for having to pay for their own tickets. I just hope they were able to gather up enough pennies to afford them... :P

Edited by SleepyWhiteSox

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 11:23 AM)
My heart goes out to those poor guys for having to pay for their own tickets.  I just hope they were able to gather up enough pennies to afford them...

I was cutting off the "why didn't they sell the fans the free tickets the players get" complaint.

I should have known better... :rolly

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 11:31 AM)
I was joking...even though I killed it by messing up the green...

It's nice to see that smiley isn't being overused, though...

You know what they say about some and a one car funeral.. ;)

No disappointment on that response. <_>

Welcome to the reality of a ticket monopoly and the unholy marriage from hell of two things: Ticketmaster and the Internet.

I went through this whole drama last spring when U2 tickets went on sale. As a fan club member, we were given a "pre-sale" before tix were released to the general public. In years past, they'd have mail order forms and you always got tickets. This year, though, for the first time, we were to go to a Ticketmaster sub-site.

That day came, and after hours of trying to get in, you could not get floor seats and the only thing available were a few seats in the rafters for $180. Yes, that's face value.

Not a few hours into it, all of a sudden, all over Ebay and Craig's List there are hundreds upon hundreds of people selling... U2 tickets. Remember, this was supposed to be a closed sale to fan club members. Brokers had them, scalpers had them, regular people had them--and the only people who DIDN'T were us actual fan club members. How in the hell did that happen?

The resulting uproar made it into all the major media--I was interviewed by the NYT, the L.A. Times, the Sun-Times and Trib. We made such a stink that U2 personally got involved. Ticketmaster offered the usual "demand exceeded supply" bulls***, but that's exactly what it was: bulls***. We were promised by U2 that for the fall leg, we'd be taken care of. True to their word, we were. I got tix this time. Saw 'em two weeks ago.

But the reality is this:

-Their are ticket brokers who have "insiders" at Ticketmaster who funnel to them huge chunks of tickets for a payoff, which the brokers then sell at scalped rates

-I personally know a TM agent who will pull tix and get paid something like $50 per ticket from the scalpers. For something like this he probably gets $100.

-When NY Attorney General Spitzer investigated the U2 fiasco in NY, they found that certain business would set up TM terminals not because they wanted to sell tickets, but because they wanted to pull hot tix and then scalp them

-Brokers themselves have people who man the phones and Internet and flood TM with orders--even automated systems

And let's not forget one of the most deadly threats to ticket availability introduced to man: the Internet and Ebay. With Ebay (or Craig's List or whatever) and the Internet, now any person in the United States is a virtual ticket scalper. You've got thousands upon thousands of people who don't even know the White Sox and don't care snatching up tickets to scalp them. A co-worker's friend got tickets yesterday for the ALCS and has already sold them--three of them--for $1,800.

The reality is, today, that your chances of getting tickets legitimately are slim to none. You're lucky to get crumbs. There are so many already-tipped-off people in front of you, it's a miracle that anybody here got anything. And with the thousands fighting for those crumbs, this is what you get. What is so appalling about this is the example of the co-worker's friend: some asshole who took tickets out of our hands with no intention of ever going.

And just like we all guessed: here we are, now all of a sudden the Sox are in demand. Could barely sell out most games this season, but now every bandwagon jumper in the city is either going to the games, or every Cub fan (think about that) is buying tickets and scalping them.

Nothing will change until the gov't starts looking into the practice. They did in NY (Google Spitzer+u2+ticketmaster) and it was jaw-dropping.

Until then, my advice to anybody who wants to be guaranteed postseason tickets is to get some sort of season ticket package, where you're guaranteed them.

But understand that it's not set up to be fair.

Edited by LVSoxFan

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 12:33 PM)
-Their are ticket brokers who have "insiders" at Ticketmaster who funnel to them huge chunks of tickets for a payoff, which the brokers then sell at scalped rates

-I personally know a TM agent who will pull tix and get paid something like $50 per ticket from the scalpers. For something like this he probably gets $100.

That is exactly right. And those guys are getting good money at $50 a ticket. The shyster record store manager who did this stuff when I worked there got maybe $200 total for an hour's worth of pulls from the guys he passed tthe tickets on to.

If the Sox do move to Tickets.com will that be any better for you guys without season tickets? I don't know anything about them... are they better to get tickets from?

Steff... Isnt this what the cubs, twins and cardinals use? If that is the case I have heard that it is better then ticketmaster, but I dont know if that would make anything better in regaurds to keeping scaplers from getting tickets. Anyway we look at it, the scalpers are going to find a way to get tickets, which sucks big time for people like myself

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 01:12 PM)
Steff... Isnt this what the cubs, twins and cardinals use?  If that is the case I have heard that it is better then ticketmaster, but I dont know if that would make anything better in regaurds to keeping scaplers from getting tickets.  Anyway we look at it, the scalpers are going to find a way to get tickets, which sucks big time for people like myself

Ok now that we know that we think there is a concpiracy with the ticket. How many scalpers with tickets will be at the game selling them off. Would there be a chance or would those who think they can get a ticket be clogging up the area? I won't go without a ticket but what be the word to those wannabbees at the balpark :huh

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 01:12 PM)
Steff... Isnt this what the cubs, twins and cardinals use?  If that is the case I have heard that it is better then ticketmaster, but I dont know if that would make anything better in regaurds to keeping scaplers from getting tickets.  Anyway we look at it, the scalpers are going to find a way to get tickets, which sucks big time for people like myself

i now for a fact the cubs use tickets.com

Another possible reason brokers have so many tickets could be the fact that they just cough up the cash for numerous season tickets. Think about it. Even assuming they didn't make the playoffs, you can still make a killing on Cubs/Yankees/Red Sox and a couple of other games, plus no matter how low the attendance is for a given game someone is going to be willing to pay a ton for good seats. Then, if they make the playoffs you can make a serious killing. Is it so unbelieveable that a major broker bought something like 25 season tickets? I don't think so.

Frankly, I don't like this whole E-ticket thing. first off, unless they have some kind of safe-guard that I don't know about, you could print copies and sell each ticket multiple times. The unsuspecting fan wouldn't find out until they get to the gate and the ticket has already been scanned. Then if you don't know the person, you're screwed.