Religiosity is bad for your (society’s) health

Mercy!

Two centuries ago there was relatively little dispute over the existence of God, or the societally beneficial effect of popular belief in a creator. In the twentieth century extensive secularization occurred in western nations, the United States being the only significant exception. If religion has receded in some western nations, what is the impact of this unprecedented transformation upon their populations? Theists often assert that popular belief in a creator is instrumental towards providing the moral, ethical and other foundations necessary for a healthy, cohesive society. Many also contend that widespread acceptance of evolution, and/or denial of a creator, is contrary to these goals.

Some conclusions:

In general, higher rates of belief in and worship of a creator correlate with higher rates of homicide, juvenile and early adult mortality, STD infection rates, teen pregnancy, and abortion in the prosperous democracies

No democracy is known to have combined strong religiosity and popular denial of evolution with high rates of societal health. Higher rates of non-theism and acceptance of human evolution usually correlate with lower rates of dysfunction, and the least theistic nations are usually the least dysfunctional.

Here’s the original article:

Cross-National Correlations of Quantifiable Societal Health with Popular Religiosity and Secularism in the Prosperous Democracies

Here’s one popular review of the study from the Times of London:

Societies worse off 'when they have God on their side'

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 03:50 AM)
Some conclusions:

One of the first concepts taught in research methods is correlation does not necessarily indication causation. There could be numerous variables in these studies, aside from the absence of religion, which led the researcher to conclude his findings. Just think of it logically--how does the degree of which a society believes in God relate to their homicide, STD, juvenile mortality?

Honestly, the world would likely be better off without "religiosity." I live my life under the assumption there is no higher being, and if I'm wrong, surely he'll understand my position. I suppose people relate their spirituality to gambling--ignore the odds and focus on an illusive payoff.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)
So, essentially, it's highly industrialized and developed nations against 3rd world countries (and the US)?

No, it's all industrialized (at least the scatters are mostly OECD countries). But who calls "hey, I correlated some s***" a study? This can't be taken seriously.

This is complete & utter crap propagated by atheist secularists who are grasping at straws now to stem the tide of what I will refer to as the merging of Occidental with Oriental religious beliefs.

This is what atheists have always feared because the merging of these two belief systems are greatly strengthened with the economic power they wield. Specifically America with Christ & Japan with Buddha.

More to the study it completely ignores a distinction between being devoutly religious & culturally religious. Every source of data I've read that does draw this distinction denotes the devoutly Christian or Buddhist

follower to be the highest standard of citizen with respect to crime & civility on the planet today.

There is no question that Arab terrorists & those that are militantly devout in following them give religion a bad name. But even when you consider the billion plus Muslims in the world a faction of say 10 million represents at best 1/10th of 1%. The other 99.9% are pretty kewl people.

The real enemy in the world today is NOT born of a faith or a philosophy. They are people who for whatever reason choose to live selfish lives indifferent to the people they impact. Those reasons could be born from life experience or from something they just take to that they've read.

It's pretty simple when you think about it.

A culture embedded in selfishness is simply going to breed more selfish people on the planet. A culture embedded in generosity & kindness is going to breed kind people on the planet. When you consider that secularist thinking since the industrial revolution has led to far greater acts of selfishness, greed, lust, genocide, & every other imaginable horror the world has seen religion looks like a MUCH better alternative.

I'd rather live in a world with a fighting chance to see peace emerge admist bloodshed in the Middle East & cities affected by terrorists who are fighting against that cause than to live in a world run under the emergence of the 4th secularist reich.