Chicago Marathon

Stocking

QUOTE(Stocking @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 03:28 PM)
Running my first marathon sunday, was wondering if anyone else is or has?  what should i expect in terms of transportation and meeting up with friends and family?

I've ran one but not the Chicago marathon.

QUOTE(Stocking @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 09:28 AM)
Running my first marathon sunday, was wondering if anyone else is or has?  what should i expect in terms of transportation and meeting up with friends and family?

I've never ran it, but have had quite a few friends run it. Have your friends / family meet you by Buckingham fountain. That's where everybody meets. The have signs out there with letters on them (A-C ; D-F) Go to whatever letter your last name starts with.

Another thing - at the start of the race - make sure your family is on the west side of Columbus, otherwise they won't be able to cross for a long time.

QUOTE(mreye @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 11:25 AM)
I've never ran it, but have had quite a few friends run it. Have your friends / family meet you by Buckingham fountain. That's where everybody meets. The have signs out there with letters on them (A-C ; D-F) Go to whatever letter your last name starts with.

Another thing - at the start of the race - make sure your family is on the west side of Columbus, otherwise they won't be able to cross for a long time.

Thanks for the info, appreciate the support guys.

QUOTE(Stocking @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 05:42 PM)
Thanks for the info, appreciate the support guys.

GOOD LUCK!

And when you get to 18, and the tough get going, kick that wall's ass.

And then, when you get to 23, yell SOXTALK as loud as you can, which will make that last 5k SMOKE by.

:lol:

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
GOOD LUCK!

And when you get to 18, and the tough get going, kick that wall's ass.

And then, when you get to 23, yell SOXTALK as loud as you can, which will make that last 5k SMOKE by.

:lol:

Mile 23 is right outside the Cell, will do

I've done a few marathons before although not this one. My advice re family and freinds is not to have them try to follow you on the course, it's never worked for me. Possibly get them to wait at the half way point, a big cheer can help, and meet you at the end.

Something I did in my last one was to write my first name in BOLD somewhere on the front, I lost count the number of times I was cheered on by name by complete strangers, it helped through a few rough patches ( and there will be some!)

Most of all, don't get cought up in worrying about pace/time, as it's your first just enjoy it. :britishflag:

BTW with the help of my club I've just been accepted into next years London.

I ran the Lakeshore Marathon last May, which was 27.2 miles. My advice to you is don't think of food. And just have fun, most likely you won't ever be in oxygen debt during the race, so your legs and just normal fatigue will be the hard part. When you get to a water station, you should walk while drinking the water. Overall, just enjoy the pretty good weather you'll be getting.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
I dont know how they do it.  Most I ever ran in 1 sitting was 8 miles and that totally wasted me.  All involved get some serious props for even participating.

You ran while sitting?!?! :lol:

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 12:24 PM)
I've done a few marathons before although not this one. My advice re family and freinds is not to have them try to follow you on the course, it's never worked for me. Possibly get them to wait at the half way point, a big cheer can help, and meet you at the end.

Something I did in my last one was to write my first name in BOLD somewhere on the front, I lost count the number of times I was cheered on by name by complete strangers, it helped through a few rough patches ( and there will be some!)

Most of all, don't get cought up in worrying about pace/time, as it's your first just enjoy it. :britishflag:

BTW with the help of my club I've just been accepted into next years London.

Thats awesome deploderer, congratulations on being accepted into londons marathon. keep us updated. unfortunately i wont be supporting any sox gear, been training without a cap. Im hoping to finish in 3:40, :bringit . thanks for all the kind words and advise everyone.

Hahaha......FINISHED!! And how f***ing amazing it was running through all of Chicago's neighborhoods. Chicagoans are truely f***ing amazing people. I killed my goal and ran a 3:34.50. Placed 4474 out of the 40k. Sure i can barely walk today, but its something that i think everone should experience. At mile 26 my legs are about to cramp or fall off and I turn a corner and there is Chicago version of "heartbreak" hill (I heard it was new to the course this year?) . the crowd is screaming and all the pain you felt just vanishes. simply amazing, thank you everyone for your support. :gosox1: :gosox1:

side note i must have been running next to someone with a Go Sox on their chest cause for a good 5miles I kept hearing "Go Sox". Brought me a big smile every time. :headbang

They said this morning only 36K ran.. why would people sign up then not do it.?

Stocking.. congrats big time!! That is a HUGE accomplishment. :cheers I die after 6 miles these days so I can't even imagine the pain you were feeling. Way to overcome it and finish so well. :headbang

QUOTE(Stocking @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 10:59 AM)
side note i must have been running next to someone with a Go Sox on their chest cause for a good 5miles I kept hearing  "Go Sox".  Brought me a big smile every time. :headbang

Great! You heard me!!!

Congrats! Next stop...The Ironman Triathlon!!!

:gosox1: :cheers