Hold on a Sec, this aint done yet

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
If Eddy does come back, this is going to be a very awkward season.

If he comes back, then he failed his physical, and we are basically back to square one, an impasse between Leon Rose and Paxson. Its going to be awkward and quite confusing.

No it wont be an impasse.

It will be Curry has to accept whatever he is offered.

The Knicks were Curry's shot at a big contract with out a DNA test. If he fails the NY physical, who is going to pay him big money?

The answer is only a team that is in desperate need of making a splash.

If the deal is rescinded the Bulls have all the negotiating power, because if he failed the NY physical, he probably will not pass any other teams physical. Meaning that he needs to get a DNA test so that the Bulls will pay him.

SB

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)
Harry Teinowitz just said that Curry failed his physical, according to Bulls inside sources

wow. This is big news. He will have to suck it up and earn his big contract this year. I have defended Curry in the past. After all this contract non-sense (and the great offer he received from pax.) I have to admit, I dont want Eddy on the bulls this up coming year.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 11:45 AM)
wow.  This is big news.  He will have to suck it up and earn his big contract this year.  I have defended Curry in the past. After all this contract non-sense (and the great offer he received from pax.) I have to admit, I dont want Eddy on the bulls this up coming year.

If he failed the Knicks physical you can take it to the bank he isn't going to be playing for the Bulls this season without the DNA test. He could be done.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 12:49 PM)
Pardon my lack of knowledge about the situation, but why does he need a DNA test?

They want to know if he has the same heart problem that Hank Gathers and Reggie Lewis had. A hardening of the heart walls.

this is in the article I posted above

Curry, who has been diagnosed with a benign heart arrhythmia, could suffer from hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, a condition linked to the deaths of basketball players Reggie Lewis and Hank Gathers. The DNA test could determine whether Curry is genetically predisposed to the condition.
Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 05:49 PM)
If he failed the Knicks physical you can take it to the bank he isn't going to be playing for the Bulls this season without the DNA test. He could be done.

I thought there was the possibility that he could just sign the qualifying offer for one year, and the DNA test was a prereq for a long-term deal only. No?

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 11:49 AM)
Pardon my lack of knowledge about the situation, but why does he need a DNA test?

I'm not a doctor but if my take on it is correct, it would show if he has a genetic disposition to a fatal heart condition. If the test showed he did, he wouldn't be able to play anymore. I think Paxson said the Bulls offered Curry $400,000 a year for 50 years if he took the test and failed. I would suppose if he comes back to the Bulls that offer would have to come off the table.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 11:52 AM)
I thought there was the possibility that he could just sign the qualifying offer for one year, and the DNA test was a prereq for a long-term deal only.  No?

The Bulls aren't going to let him get on the court without the test. I really doubt they will give him $5 million just to hang out at home, especially after the bad feelings Paxson had about the whole situation. f*** Curry, let him sue his agent, yet another scumbag more concerned about cash than the person.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
The Bulls aren't going to let him get on the court without the test. I really doubt they will give him $5 million just to hang out at home, especially after the bad feelings Paxson had about the whole situation. f*** Curry, let him sue his agent, yet another scumbag more concerned about cash than the person.

^^^^^ Well put

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 05:57 PM)

Well, to take that position they have to rescind the qualifying offer, right? And wouldn't Curry then become an UFA? I can't see them doing that, either.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 11:59 AM)
Well, to take that position they have to rescind the qualifying offer, right?  And wouldn't Curry then become an UFA?  I can't see them doing that, either.

Why not? Who is going to sign him if he has a major heart issue and can't pass a physical? What would the Bulls gain by paying him $5.4 million to not play and then having him become an UFA after the season? I'm not arguing with you BTW, maybe you have some more insight on the subject. I personally think if he can't pass the Knicks' physical, if its because of his heart, there is a very good chance he is done playing.

Honestly people. If you were a sports agent, wouldnt you take a hardline to make sure he got the DNA test, at least to make sure that he was going to be ok in life? Its like being in sales and making sure your product is functional. I dont get his stance on doing whatever Eddy wants him to do, have some damn principle in life, s***

I don't have more insight, I'm just spitballing. $5.4 mil is great value if Curry's on the roster. Unless you're very sure that Curry won't play most of the year, it seems like a good value. Even though it's possible he won't play, it seems up in the air now. And since the contract expires at the end of the year, it's not much of a risk.

Anyway, you'll be able to do your own physical before the contract is finalized, I believe, so you can check for yourself whatever you want to know about his heart.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 12:11 PM)
Honestly people.  If you were a sports agent, wouldnt you take a hardline to make sure he got the DNA test, at least to make sure that he was going to be ok in life?  Its like being in sales and making sure your product is functional.  I dont get his stance on doing whatever Eddy wants him to do, have some damn principle in life, s***

Especially when it is a potential life or death situation. If he didn't want to share the results with the teams that's one thing, but to support his decision not take the test is irresponsible. And Curry's parents leave me scratching my head also. Looks like they just want money also. If it were me, my parents wouldn't let me play without the test, and I'm older than Curry.

The DNA test is part of the qualifying offer the Bulls made. If it were to be rescinded (the Knicks deal) than Curry would sign the qualifying offer and than take the Bulls to an arbitrator saying that that clause in the contract is a violation of his rights.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 06:27 PM)
The DNA test is part of the qualifying offer the Bulls made.  If it were to be rescinded (the Knicks deal) than Curry would sign the qualifying offer and than take the Bulls to an arbitrator saying that that clause in the contract is a violation of his rights.

Ah, so. Thanks for the clarification.