Is Marte assured off the ALCS Roster?

White Sox Josh

I'm not saying Marte will or should be kept on the roster, but here are a few points from the opposing viewpoint...

-- Two lefties give a manager more flexibility, especially when they need to get out just one hitter.

-- what happens if Neal Cotts gets hurt early in the series? Would you want to go through most of a 7-game series with NO lefties in the pen?

-- Ozzie is loyal if anything

-- Sometimes a manager showing faith in a player pulls them out of a funk. Remember how Francona stuck by Mark Bellhorn last year when Red Sox fans were chanting for Pokey Reese? Bellhorn was practically 0-for the playoffs and finally got hot when most needed.

-- I do believe that many Sox fans here and elsewhere were adamant about NOT putting El Duque on the playoff roster since he had been pitching poorly. Do those of you in that group still think that would have been the right move? This was just a couple of weeks ago boys and girls.

If I were Ozzie and forced to make the decision alone, the decision I made would have to do more with what transpired during the season. Deep down does Ozzie believe he can get what he needs out of Marte? Does he feel Marte has it in him to pull it out? If based on that, I think Marte could help, I'd keep him on the roster.

That's just me (if I were Ozzie)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't a lefty lose all effectiveness when can no longer get lefties out? Our righties are more than capable of getting left handed hitters out at a higher clip than Damaso currently can. I don't really give a s*** what arm he throws with, he can't get anyone out especially lefties, this team goes against all logic, our righties are better at getting left handed hitters out than our lefties are.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 11:45 PM)
-- Two lefties give a manager more flexibility, especially when they need to get out just one hitter.

-- what happens if Neal Cotts gets hurt early in the series?  Would you want to go through most of a 7-game series with NO lefties in the pen?

But if he can't get lefties out, it doesn't make a difference if he's in the pen or not. Having a lefty for the sake of having a lefty doesn't do much.

If Marte didn't earn his way of the roster today, i don't know what it takes.

Yeah I understand if possible you want 2 lefties.... But when 1 of those lefties constantly cant get the job done vs lefties or righties it doesnt really help the team. The angels won the WS with the only lefty in their bullpen being Shoenweis and I think Cotts is better than him so we should be fine.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 05:27 AM)
you know how they used to say just say no to drugs.  Ozzie needs to say "just say no to Marte."

It seems to me Ozzie's biggest flaws as a manager is the mis-use of Marte and his 2 much faith in Freddy. Im glad at least 1 of them will be gone and Freddy is still good I just think Ozzie has a little bit 2 much faith in him sometimes.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 12:44 AM)
At this point if it was possible id rather have Arnie Munoz as our 2nd lefty rather than Marte.

im actually a big fan of his. I thought he was solid in the bullpen during the last month of the season. I thought they abused him against montreal and i really felt bad for him. I think he has a future as a LHRP.

Hate to say it but we need 2 lefties.

He must stay.

We could use 2 lefties but when one of them is Damaso Marte, no thanks. I'd rather see a righty like McCarthy try to get a tough lefty out than watch Marte s*** the bed. At least McCarthy will throw strikes and won't load the bases with no outs.

Marte is just worthless right now and has been for almost the entire season. There's no need to dump Blum who can at least play 3 positions while Marte is more likely to hurt us than help us if he stays on the roster. Dump Marte and add McCarthy. Marte has no confidence and is pitching like a complete headcase coward.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 01:21 AM)
Marte is just worthless right now and has been for almost the entire season.  There's no need to dump Blum who can at least play 3 positions while Marte is more likely to hurt us than help us if he stays on the roster.  Dump Marte and add McCarthy.  Marte has no confidence and is pitching like a complete headcase coward.

the way i look at it Blum can only help. He can't hurt the Sox with his versatility assuming Ozzie uses him the right way. Marte can hurt the Sox.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 02:03 AM)
I still don't want to give up on Marte.  I guess I'm a stubborn mofo.  He's been so good most of his Sox career.  It really hurts to see him struggling like he is.

Marte has been gradually getting worse for 2 years. Personally, I think He Gone!