Is Marte assured off the ALCS Roster?

White Sox Josh

QUOTE(YASNY @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 03:13 AM)
Marte has been gradually getting worse for 2 years.  Personally, I think He Gone!

His era means nothing... opponents still only had an ops of .664 off him last year.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 03:14 AM)
It looks like all of those appearances he had during the manuel era got to him.

He actually had more appearances last season with ozzie than in the two with manuel. He was on pace to have his average if not for the dl stint.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(qwerty @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 02:18 AM)
His era means nothing... opponents still only had an ops of .664 off him last year.

He actually had more appearances last season with ozzie than in the two with manuel. He was on pace to have his average if not for the dl stint.

Ahh, interesting. I just remember him being used it seemed like every other day with Jerry, either way he's been terrible this year, I really do miss the Dam from the Manuel era. :crying

Marte's problem is that he is a coward. He can't throw a strike to save his life and hangs his breaking stuff. He is dead meat up there and I hope we can at least get a bag of balls for him in the offseason. If this guy actually pitches again in a key situation for the rest of the playoffs, he will kill us.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 02:22 AM)
Marte's problem is that he is a coward.  He can't throw a strike to save his life and hangs his breaking stuff.  He is dead meat up there and I hope we can at least get a bag of balls for him in the offseason.  If this guy actually pitches again in a key situation for the rest of the playoffs, he will kill us.

He's lost all control and to me it also looks like he's giving away his slider, he seems to slow up his whole body when he's throwing that pitch.

He's lost all control and to me it also looks like he's giving away his slider, he seems to slow up his whole body when he's throwing that pitch.

And when he's on the mound, look at his face. He looks like he is literally s***ting his pants. He's completely nervous and can't handle the pressure.

Certainly looks like the possibility is there;

Asked if the outing disappointed Guillen, he said, "It does. He put the team on the line. I don't mind if you get beat, but don't beat yourself.

"If you get beat, that's fine. Hey, everybody goes out there and gets beaten. But when you go down there and don't want to throw the ball and flat with pitches, that shows me you don't have confidence in yourself."

Guillen and the coaching staff will meet by Sunday and decide Marte's fate, as the roster can be reconfigured for the AL Championship Series.

"We talk about it," Guillen said. "I need Marte. If Marte continues to struggle, I don't have any other choice. ...

"I have to talk to him first. As soon as you put the roster in, you can't change the next day. It's a shame, because we need this kid bad. If he continues to do this, it will be tough."

el Duque's performance showed that long relievers [someone who can go 2,3 innings no problem] are very necessary in the playoffs. Esp in a 7 game series. Having both BMac and El Duque could keep the rest of the pen very fresh, while the yanks and Angels could have guys running on fumes come Tues.

That said, Marte should be left off and BMac added. Marte has been the most ineffective and inconsistent reliever. Bmac could very likely come in and shut down a team for 3 innings like Orlando did. Marte has trouble getting one guy out.

I don't mind keeping Marte on to face exactly ONE left hander with the bases empty. If he does the job, great, if he doesn't, yank him. The fatal flaw Ozzie has is leaving him in to face a "stretch" of lefties...even when it includes a righty.

To be totally fair, the ump WAS squeezing Marte a bit. Don't get me wrong...I'd love to see him out of here but I honestly think this is what will probably happen

I hate to say it, but the way Marte looked last night, I would have no problem leaving him off the ALCS roster and letting McCarthy on.

Otherwise, let's not fix what's not broken.

EDIT: How about that repost I just made? Sorry. [blush]

Edited by Balance

Has Luis Vizcaino done enough you think to be kept on the playoff roster? Rest assured though, in a pressure situation that calls for a lefty, Neal Cotts better be the guy coming to the mound, not Damaso Marte.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 03:14 PM)
Has Luis Vizcaino done enough you think to be kept on the playoff roster? Rest assured though, in a pressure situation that calls for a lefty, Neal Cotts better be the guy coming to the mound, not Damaso Marte.

Having Duque and his sliders in the bullpen basically eliminates any reason to keep Viz on the team. Struggles or not, I'd rather have Marte coming in to face someone like G. Anderson than I would Viz.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 05:54 PM)
Or is Ozzie in love with matchups to much to do this.  I think BMac deserves a roster spot and he could really help the team.  again they have to get to the ALCS for this to happen.

He better be gone of the roster

:gosox2: :gosox2: :gosox3: :gosox3: :gosox4: :gosox4: :gosox3: :gosox3: :gosox2: :gosox2: :gosox4: :gosox4: :fight :chair :lolhitting :bang :stick :canada :usa :lolhitting

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 01:39 AM)
Having Duque and his sliders in the bullpen basically eliminates any reason to keep Viz on the team.  Struggles or not, I'd rather have Marte coming in to face someone like G. Anderson than I would Viz.

It really highlights the need for a lefty LOOGY though especially if Marte is traded this off-season, which most of us expect to happen.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 09:14 AM)
All along, I wanted Viz to be the guy left off the roster.  I just don't see much of a point to keeping him on the team with the rest of the relievers we already have.  Marte used to match up very well against a lot of the Angels lefty batters.

Key words.

If we read between the lines the decision between El Duque & BMac came down to Ozzie getting Cooper behind him. It was Coop & Oz against Jr, Kenny, & most everyone else.

I can't imagine Cooper backing Ozzie with Marte. I think we'll see BMac & with it looking like the Angels in the ALCS I think the biggest debate will be Blum over Gload. Greater LHB strength should rule over addeding IF fielding depth against the Angels.

QUOTE(thatballhitdeep @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 06:33 PM)
i think ozzie dropped the soap and marte was the only guy left in the shower

LMAO.

I've been saying for a while that something has to give with this Guillen-Marte thing. It defies logic. Why not call on Cotts? Some argue that his delivery style wouldn't be effective against certain hitters.

Like Marte is effective against them? :huh

QUOTE(kevin57 @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 10:41 AM)
LMAO.

I've been saying for a while that something has to give with this Guillen-Marte thing.  It defies logic.  Why not call on Cotts?  Some argue that his delivery style wouldn't be effective against certain hitters.

Like Marte is effective against them? :huh

I think Ozzie saw the game going a bit differently than it did yesterday. He was counting on Marte to get the outs then would have probably gone to the "regulars" (Hermanson, Cotts, Politte) to bridge until Jenks in the 9th. He found lightning in a bottle when he had to put El Duque in there and wisely stuck with it.

If nothing, Ozzie shows he has that unconventional thinking that you have to have to succeed in the playoffs. How many times have we seen a Torres, a LaRussa, or a Bobby Cox go down in a series because he managed the same way he'd manage a regular season game?

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 09:53 PM)
He wont even be on the 2006 Roster.

Damaso is gone.

No way would I give up on Damaso for next year. I've learned my lesson after doubting Contreras.

Marte, much like Contreras, has great stuff (not to mention two dominating MLB seasons to his credit). Coop just needs to straighten him out, and because he's fairly cheap, there's no reason we can't hang onto him next year.