Marriotti

Jim Fainter

Mariotti's written some good articles this year...I hope JR is reading the papers!

I hate to say it Heather, but I agree. Jay has had a couple of dandy's lately. This one and the last one about getting rid of JM were really good.

Overall I can't stand the guy! :finger

The only thing I disagree with is Moronotti's take on MB's contract offer being "fair."

:fyou Moronotti! He's still an ass  :headbang

2-6... Perhaps it was "fair".

One thing I've learned over the years with pitchers.. you don't bite the hand that feeds you. Your next toss could be your last. I'm not saying anything negative, per se... but for Mark's sake I sure hope the decision not to sign doesn't come back to haunt him.

F Kotex Boy :fyou

All he writes is negative BS.  Or better put a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

All he is doing is kicking this Sox while they are down, what is so impressive about that?

True. He did the same thing with the Bulls in all 6 championship seasons, then he turned around and never said he was wrong, but praised the Bulls AFTER they wrapped up each championship.

F Kotex Boy :fyou

All he writes is negative BS.  Or better put a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

All he is doing is kicking this Sox while they are down, what is so impressive about that?

The way that I see it SS is that the guy is a prick. Remember that article "Sox vs Cubs, No Contest"? You know the one he wrote about the Yankees? That was horrible and when i emailed him on it he sent me back a b**** ass response.

The thing I liked about the last 2 Sox related columns was that he said some things that I was thinking. Like dumping Manuel and JR getting more involved with the current situation.

Either way, you are right :fyou Kotex Boy!

I don't know how much I agree with this article...i basically get the sense he wants Manuel gone, that's pretty obvious. But he fails to address how much KW is meddling with this damn team and affecting the way Manuel manages. That's a huge issue he didn't talk about.

Another thing that struck me was when he talked about Ward and Manuel said "The players at some point have to take on responsibility. They can't keep looking for a [new] coach here, a [new] manager there. They have to own up to their careers and what they're about. It's that simple.''

In other words, "own up to their careers and what they are about" should equal "don't listen to what Ward says because he has a wrong approach so go out and hit for yourself without any coaching, or rather, BAD coaching." That doesn't make any sense to me. Coaching is a HUGE part in sports...why in the hell would you have a damn hitting coach if you didn't think his job was to help the team? I would put a ton of the blame on this team on Ward and Mariotti puts none on Ward and all on Manuel. I don't think that's the fair way to spread the blame at this point.

What part of Buerhle's contract wasn't fair? Wasn't it $25 million for five years? That has to be close to the top salary for a third-year player.

Anyone who turns down a huge contract should look at Kenny Rogers (offered a two-year, 10 mil deal with Texas, turned it down and got $2 mil for one year in Minnesota).

What part of Buerhle's contract wasn't fair?  Wasn't it $25 million for five years?  That has to be close to the top salary for a third-year player.

Anyone who turns down a huge contract should look at Kenny Rogers (offered a two-year, 10 mil deal with Texas, turned it down and got $2 mil for one year in Minnesota).

Only about 9-12 million was guaranteed. More than half of the money was tied to performance and incentives. Real fair contract to a guy who won 34 games for your Organization in one and one-half seasons. :rolleyes:

Mariotti is a f***tard.

Any one of us on this board could have ( and some HAVE ) written that same exact column, only without the inane blabber and stupid nicknames. Mariotti is a simpleton who writes the easiest thing to say about any situation, and rarely offers up a working solution. He's all stupid nicknames and comparing irrelevant situations - in my mind, what the Cubs are or aren't doing holds no bearing in what Reinsdorf should do to salvage a sinking season.

On those RARE occasions when Mariotti does say "this or that should be done", he will ONLY refer back to his past suggestions when they work here or somewhere else. That's what Hysteriotti does - he ignores his own stupid comments and hangs on like a pitbull on the isolated occasions when his babbling accidentally makes sense. He's got 20/20 hindsight and zero insight.

Once again, in closing, Jay Mariotti is a f***TARD.

What part of Buerhle's contract wasn't fair?  Wasn't it $25 million for five years?  That has to be close to the top salary for a third-year player.

Only about 9-12 million was guaranteed. More than half of the money was tied to performance and incentives. Real fair contract to a guy who won 34 games for your Organization in one and one-half seasons. :rolleyes:

Thanks CK -

some people forget that KW, MB, and Hahn had all agreed on a deal and then JR re-did it on his own at the last second and MB was justified in turning not something that was not what he had agreed to with the GM and ass't GM.