The Game 1 Starter is...

WSoxMatt

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greg775 @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 01:51 PM)
My gosh; that shocks me. I figured they'd go witih the same rotation and simply let Jon sit.

Hopefully the magic continues but did any of you also think he'd go Contreras, Mark and Fred again?

They want to give Jon some work, instead of having to wait another 5 or so days before he pitches next.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 01:02 AM)
Contreras.  He'll be rested, and he's our #1.  Jon can go in Game 2.

Contreras/Garland/Buehrle/Garcia, setting up Mark for Game 7 if need be.

Ozzie could change his mind. But I don't see a major difference in if it's Garland/Contreras or Contreras/Garland.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 02:04 AM)
Ozzie could change his mind.  But I don't see a major difference in if it's Garland/Contreras or Contreras/Garland.

I do.

Game 1 is a tone setter. We KNOW Contreras will be lights out and will put up a huge game, almost a guaranteed W. Garland is iffy at this point...he was very good in the 2-3 weeks of the season, but very mediocre prior to that. Add to that I'm not a fan of having a sinkerballer start on about 7 days rest, due to his sinker flattening out...kind of scares me.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 01:16 AM)
I do.

Game 1 is a tone setter.  We KNOW Contreras will be lights out and will put up a huge game, almost a guaranteed W.  Garland is iffy at this point...he was very good in the 2-3 weeks of the season, but very mediocre prior to that.  Add to that I'm not a fan of having a sinkerballer start on about 7 days rest, due to his sinker flattening out...kind of scares me.

I see your point. But I'm not sure I want to see Garland not pitch for almost 2 weeks. I guess this is a good problem to have.

Ozzie's got to get Garland into the mix, asap, or he'll be useless from here on out. They should work Garland hard tomorrow so he's not too rested on Tuesday.

I just had a thought. With Garland and Contreras starting games 1 and 2, that means Buehrle might finally get his Yankee Stadium start ... in the ALCS, yet.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 01:22 AM)
Ozzie's got to get Garland into the mix, asap, or he'll be useless from here on out.  They should work Garland hard tomorrow so he's not too rested on Tuesday. 

I just had a thought.  With Garland and Contreras starting games 1 and 2, that means Buehrle might finally get his Yankee Stadium start ... in the ALCS, yet.

That's what I was thinking, Yasny. Man, this is a really nice problem to have. Start the hottest pitcher in baseball in game 1? Or the guy that won you 18 games and appeared in the all-star game? Me love it.

I have an idea...albeit a very wild one.

Why not have Garland throw an inning out of the pen in game 1 at some point, no matter the situation? Get him into the game, get him some work, get him in the playoff mix. When he then starts game 4, his arm will not be at 100% in arm strength, but will be completely healthy, thus making his sinker quite heavy, inducing quite a few groundballs.

You want a time for a no-no in the playoffs...that's it. A sinkerballer who is focused as hell and will not make a mistake due to his team needing him to win the game who is also on short rest...there is potential for unhittableness.

I have an idea...albeit a very wild one.

Why not have Garland throw an inning out of the pen in game 1 at some point, no matter the situation?  Get him into the game, get him some work, get him in the playoff mix.  When he then starts game 4, his arm will not be at 100% in arm strength, but will be completely healthy, thus making his sinker quite heavy, inducing quite a few groundballs.

You want a time for a no-no in the playoffs...that's it.  A sinkerballer who is focused as hell and will not make a mistake due to his team needing him to win the game who is also on short rest...there is potential for unhittableness.

Sinkerballers lose their effectiveness out of the bullpen (see Sergio Mitre). They need to throw a few innings to get their good stuff.

Garland HAS to start game 1, due to the fact that he got 0 work in the ALDS, so I'd love to see the following rotation:

1) Garland

2) Buehrle

3) Contreras

4) Garcia

5*) Garland

6*) Buehrle

7*) Contreras

* if neccessary

This sets things up perfectly, as Buehrle is a better home pitcher, Contreras will dominate anywhere the way he's been pitching, and Garcia is a road ace. This also gives our hottest pitcher the ball in the case that Game 7 is needed to decide the series.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 02:40 AM)
Garland HAS to start game 1, due to the fact that he got 0 work in the ALDS, so I'd love to see the following rotation:

1) Garland

2) Buehrle

3) Contreras

4) Garcia

5*) Garland

6*) Buehrle

7*) Contreras

* if neccessary

This sets things up perfectly, as Buehrle is a better home pitcher, Contreras will dominate anywhere the way he's been pitching, and Garcia is a road ace. This also gives our hottest pitcher the ball in the case that Game 7 is needed to decide the series.

Actually, that's a pretty damn good set up there.

I'd like to see, Contreras, Jon, Mark then Freddy. Especially if we play the Yankees, you gotta get Contreras 2 starts. I'd even screw around and try to give Duque a start. The Cubans got dissed by NY, you better believe they have a hard on to beat King George.

If we play Anaheim, it's pot luck.

I'm with whoever said Garland/Contreras and Contreras/Garland makes no difference.

We have 4 aces on this team, and we have to keep that mentality. Garland is our fourth ace, and he gets the ball next. We have to keep his confidence sky-high. If we DON'T start him on game 1, that sends a no confidence message to him, something Garland has never responded to very well. In this case, Guillen knows he needs to ride the horse that got him there, and that's JG. 18 victories.

Yes, Game 1 is a tone-setter in 5 game series. A 1-0 lead in a seven gamer doesn't mean nearly as much in my opinion. Game 1 in a seven game series can ultimately make a difference, but I like our chances against anyone as long as Count and Mark are both starting two games each and Freddy is on the road.

I'd do what someone suggested earlier. I'd have him throw a simulated game today actually. Just so he isn't 100% for Tuesday. He's going to need that heavy sinker working.

You can't keep him out because the guy hasn't had any work for almost 2 weeks when the game is played. That's not good and would render him useless if you don't start him.

Also, I don't want Buehrle anywhere near Game 2. Let him get his Yankee Stadium/Angel Stadium(or w/e the ell they call it) start. It's harder to hit a ball out of Yankee Stadium/Angel Stadium than it is at the Cell. Contreras has to start Game 2 in my mind. At home, with everyone behind him and probably his family again. Let's give him the most comfortable atmosphere possible.

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 06:02 PM)
Reported by CHs 2 and 9 Guillen said Jon Garland

Why him? Why not go with Contreras the first game? He's been the team's hottest pitcher. After that I'm all for comparing stats b/w Buerhle andGarland for Game 2. Game 3 on the road should be Freddy since he pitches so well there.

There's no reason not to start your hottest pitcher on the first game of the playoffs if he has the rest. Contreras last pitched Tuesday. Let him pitch this Tuesday.

Bob

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 09:28 AM)
Why him?  Why not go with Contreras the first game?  He's been the team's hottest pitcher.  After that I'm all for comparing stats b/w Buerhle andGarland for Game 2.  Game 3 on the road should be Freddy since he pitches so well there.

There's no reason not to start your hottest pitcher on the first game of the playoffs if he has the rest.  Contreras last pitched Tuesday.  Let him pitch this Tuesday.

Bob

Reasons why Garland starts Game 1 is all over the thread.

:gosox1:

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 02:40 AM)

1) Garland

2) Buehrle

3) Contreras

4) Garcia

5*) Garland

6*) Buehrle

7*) Contreras

* if neccessary

I like Mark pitching Home and Home (if needed) in games 2 and 6. That makes total sense. That is the only set of games that has a pitcher pitching 2 home games. Garcia for Game 4 makes sense as it is away and would be the only one he starts.

The only decision I see is with Count and John. If you hold Count until Game 3, he would have 9 days off, and you are assuming the series goes to 7. If you had to make a choice right now on who you would want to pitch 2 games in a 7 game series, it would be Count hands down. So regardless of rest it has to be Count in game 1 and 5. There is a good chance that game 5 could be the clinching game - and I would hate to see it go the other way with a couple of losses and not getting him to pitch twice. I know John has not pitched since the regular season, but I am sure they can have him pitch a simulated game to keep him fresh.

I also think this rest will get some bodies healthy again. That stretch in Aug and Sep was killer. Pods, Crede, and maybe some arms will get more life.

Whoever we play will get very little rest and a lot of traveling (NY to Cali). I am really hoping the other series goes to 5 and they have to pitch Colon and Mussina again. That way we would not see them until at least Game 3.

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 10:28 AM)
Why him?  Why not go with Contreras the first game?  He's been the team's hottest pitcher.  After that I'm all for comparing stats b/w Buerhle andGarland for Game 2.  Game 3 on the road should be Freddy since he pitches so well there.

There's no reason not to start your hottest pitcher on the first game of the playoffs if he has the rest.  Contreras last pitched Tuesday.  Let him pitch this Tuesday.

Bob

Did I miss something? Is Garland a scrub? Was he not our best pitcher for the entire season with 18 wins and a 3.50 ERA?

We're not talking about starting Jim Parque.