El Duque as set up man...

bighurt2719

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 12:44 AM)
If you're strickly talking about the post season, I'd rather leave Bobby in the closers role and keep Duke as a middle reliever.

either way just keep on putting up W's. In fact have El Duque set up Jenks. The batters would have no chance. Especially with the speed change between the two pitchers. Edited by White Sox Josh

I disagree with making Hernandez the set-up man, and not really for the reasons given, but for other reasons.

Diagnose the bases loaded, no out situation for a second. He couldn't find the strike zone with his breaking ball, and his fastball was topping out at 91 and basically staying at 90 consistently. Varitek just simply helped him in the first at-bat. The second out was made by a determined Graffanino who fouled off three breaking balls in a row that didn't touch the plate before popping up on the infield, and Damon did nothing either.

After that inning of course he seemed to settle down, but I would much rather see him in the long relief role, because I tend to think it takes him a little while to get that arm loose, and while he succeeded greatly today, odds are, in my opinion of course, that the situation could be different in the ALCS.

I disagree with making Hernandez the set-up man, and not really for the reasons given, but for other reasons.

Diagnose the bases loaded, no out situation for a second.  He couldn't find the strike zone with his breaking ball, and his fastball was topping out at 91 and basically staying at 90 consistently.  Varitek just simply helped him in the first at-bat.  The second out was made by a determined Graffanino who fouled off three breaking balls in a row that didn't touch the plate before popping up on the infield, and Damon did nothing either.

After that inning of course he seemed to settle down, but I would much rather see him in the long relief role, because I tend to think it takes him a little while to get that arm loose, and while he succeeded greatly today, odds are, in my opinion of course, that the situation could be different in the ALCS.

Agreed. I like El Duque to be available for long relief. Today was the perfect situation to use El Duque. Freddy threw 96 pitches in 5 innings and El Duque was able to go 3 innings. Save Cotts for lefties with Hermanson and Politte setting up for Jenks.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 12:52 AM)
Keep Duque and Marte; drop Viz. After what Duque did today is there any reason to use Viz? No. but we may need marte to face a lefty.

What's the point of having Marte face a lefty if he can't get him out?

I really don't get this logic.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 7, 2005 -> 11:53 PM)
What's the point of having Marte face a lefty if he can't get him out?

I really don't get this logic.

It makes 0 sense, absolutely 0. Lefties have an obp of nearly .400 against him, that's just ridiculous, he should never face lefties, let alone pitch anymore. He's just not the Marte we all loved two years ago, I miss that guy. :(

Keep Duque and Marte; drop Viz. After what Duque did today is there any reason to use Viz? No. but we may need marte to face a lefty.

Are you absolutely nuts? What in the hell has Marte done thus far to make you want to keep him on the playoff roster? The guy has choked all season long in key situations and now he's choking in the postseason. The guy just CANNOT get a lefty out right now. He failed to retire 3 lefties in a row tonight (Nixon, Mueller, Olerud). What is the point of keeping him on the roster? Vizcaino isn't great but he's still pitching better than Marte. You have to get over the notion that you always need a lefty pitcher to face a lefty batter. Marte's suckiness defeats the purpose of the strategy.

1. Send Marte packing.

2. Add McCarthy to the roster.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 05:55 AM)
It makes 0 sense, absolutely 0.  Lefties have an obp of nearly .400 against him, that's just ridiculous, he should never face lefties, let alone pitch anymore.  He's just not the Marte we all loved two years ago, I miss that guy. :(

The one thing that does kind of make sense about it. While Marte has struggled and in my mind doesnt deserve a spot. And while we have righty pitchers who get lefties out better than marte. Look at it from a hitters perspective. Nixon for example can hit righties very well but for the most part is clueless against lefties.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 01:22 AM)
I don't know if Duque should be the set-up guy or not,  but good god,  it's beautiful to have the pitching depth we have.  So many options.  I fricken love it!

Our pen is ridiculously deep right now: duke, hermy, cliff, neal, bobby and then hopefully Brandon for the alcs and wow.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 12:41 AM)
The one thing that does kind of make sense about it.  While Marte has struggled and in my mind doesnt deserve a spot.  And while we have righty pitchers who get lefties out better than marte.  Look at it from a hitters perspective.  Nixon for example can hit righties very well but for the most part is clueless against lefties.

While that's true 101, for the most part damaso doesnt even let lefties get themselves out as he's always walking them.

QUOTE(bighurt2719 @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 12:19 AM)
its written in stone in my mind. el duce has to be our set up man. what a clutch performance. im supposed to be doing property homework for law school and im drinking wine and celebrating. I LOVE THE WHITE SOX!!!!

seriously though, we should have el duce as our set up man for the rest of the season.

El Duque will be a bridge from the starters to the late inning guys like Cotts, Politte, hermanson and Jenks. Keep him out there until he gets in trouble, and it saves the rest of the bullpen. Bmac should also be put in the same role.

This pulled from ESPN.com's Page 2 playoff theory tidbits. Just reiterates the fact that our strong bullpen will really be key. The whole series is very interesting if you have time to read it.

6. YOU NEED A STRONG BULLPEN

Theory popularized by: Mariano Rivera; the 2002 Angels; and, well, starters never go nine anymore, do they?

The numbers (Examining all playoff teams since 1995)

We broke down all playoff teams into the following categories: those with the best bullpen ERA in their league in the regular season and those with the worst.

The teams with the best bullpen ERA won 19 series and lost 17 and captured three World Series (the '98 and '99 Yankees and the '02 Angels).

The teams with the worst bullpen ERA went 14-18 and won two World Series (the '00 Yankees and '03 Marlins). While the Yankees had a 4.52 bullpen ERA, they did have Rivera (and the hot hand of Mike Stanton in the playoffs). The Marlins overcome their shaky pen by using late-season acquisition Ugueth Urbina as closer and starters Josh Beckett, Carl Pavano and Dontrelle Willis at various times in relief.

How important is a good closer? Of the 20 World Series teams since '95, only two had a closer with an ERA above 3.00 -- the '96 Braves (Mark Wohlers, 3.03) and '97 Marlins (Robb Nen, 3.89). Only nine of the 80 playoff teams had a closer with an ERA above 3.50.

Ten of the 80 teams had bullpens with losing records on the season. Only one of those 10 teams -- the 2003 Yankees, with a bullpen mark of 18-19 -- reached the World Series.

Theory applied to 2005 playoff teams

Mike Timlin has a 2.25 ERA, but the rest of the Boston bullpen has been a disaster. The team has a collective 5.19 bullpen ERA, easily worst among the playoff teams. The Braves are worst in the NL at 4.66. The White Sox have the best AL mark at 3.26, and the Cardinals have a 3.22 ERA.

The only closer with an ERA above 3.00 is San Diego's Trevor Hoffman, at 3.02 (and 1-6 W-L record). Rookie Bobby Jenks will be closing for the White Sox now, and his ERA is 2.75.

And though the Yankees' 4.28 ERA is second-worst in the AL, they do have the great Mariano.

Two teams had losing bullpen records -- Atlanta at 25-28 and Houston at 16-20.

Overall, the evidence is strong that you need a good bullpen, and this raises big question marks for Boston and Atlanta.

Verdict: TRUE

I know it was only three games, but does it bother anyone that Hermanson didn't pitch at all in the series? In fact, I can't recall him even warming up. If he did, I don't believe it was for long.

Ozzie made a point to get Cotts and Politte into the first game. Going with Jenks for two innings in Game 2, rather than Hermy or Politte (who pitched the day before) makes me wonder if Hermanson really wasn't available.

This all may be nothing, but it is at least food for thought.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 03:25 AM)
I know it was only three games, but does it bother anyone that Hermanson didn't pitch at all in the series?  In fact, I can't recall him even warming up.  If he did, I don't believe it was for long.

Ozzie made a point to get Cotts and Politte into the first game.  Going with Jenks for two innings in Game 2, rather than Hermy or Politte (who pitched the day before) makes me wonder if Hermanson really wasn't available. 

Hey Rex,

Did you get a chance to read this article on whitesox.com?

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 03:25 AM)
I know it was only three games, but does it bother anyone that Hermanson didn't pitch at all in the series?  In fact, I can't recall him even warming up.  If he did, I don't believe it was for long.

Ozzie made a point to get Cotts and Politte into the first game.  Going with Jenks for two innings in Game 2, rather than Hermy or Politte (who pitched the day before) makes me wonder if Hermanson really wasn't available. 

Wait, who's Rex Kickass?

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 07:25 AM)

He was warming up that last game. I think it was for a couple innings 2 they flashed over to the bullpen and showed Hermy.

Bullpen pitching is purely situational and there really wasn't much of an opportunity to pitch Hermanson unless Ozzie pulls Contreras earlier in Game 1 or uses him for the 8th inning of Game 2. Once Duque was in Game 3, he wasn't coming out until the 9th. There just wasn't a chance to work in Hermanson, so I have no problem that he didn't get in.