Yanks or Angels  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Yanks or Angels

• A. Angels
    • B. Yanks

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 05:30 PM)
Angels bullpen > Yankees bullpen

:P

Top 2 vs Top 2, I'd take the Yanks. Rivera + Gordon >> F-Rod + Shields. I'm not worried about bullpen guys overall, I'm worried about getting shut down by a great closer. Look what Lidge did in the playoffs last year as the only bullpen option.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(qwerty @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 01:46 PM)
This coming from a guy that thinks a .746 ops is worthy of batting third. :headshake

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 07:04 PM)
I'd take K-Rod and Shields.. I think K-Rods stuff blows Rivera's out of the water.

It is just so obvious, but Mo still pitches well enough for a 36/37 year old

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 8, 2005 -> 06:07 PM)
No doubt about that, problem is MO is still MUCH better then krod.

To add to this point MO has a .87 WHIP compared to Franky's 1.14, Mariano has a .177 baa, krod has a .184 and here's the big one, MO as a 1.38 era to krod's 2.67. As good as Krod is he's still not in Rivera's league.

They could have a similar advantage in the ALCS, but not as big as it could have been if Scioscia had opted to go for the jugular Sunday. The rainout gave him a chance to use Game 1 starter Bartolo Colon on regular rest in Game 4, but he stuck with lefty Jarrod Washburn, leaving Colon available to start Game 1 of the ALCS if the Angels win Sunday. Colon would start Game 5 on Monday, making John Lackey the starter in the ALCS opener.

If the Yankees advance, they will face the White Sox with their ALDS Game 1 winner, Mike Mussina, unavailable until Game 4. He is scheduled to start the possible first-round Game 5 on Monday. Manager Joe Torre would choose between rookie Chien-Ming Wang and Randy Johnson, who would be pitching on three days' rest after giving up five runs in three innings in Game 3, to start the opener against the White Sox.

I'd rather face the Yankees. First off, we shut down their offense when we played them this year. They only scored more than two runs in half of the games, scoring 3 twice. Plus, they haven't done that much thus far against the Angels outside of game 3. Cano seems to be their only guy hitting that well right now, and their entire offense seems to be hit or miss. The Angels, on the other hand, hit us fairly well, without Vlad IIRC. They seem to have the type of hitters that do damage against us: scrappy hitters who aren't afraid to take it the other way. Also, they seem to have more holes than the Angels. Johnson just doesn't look like the guy we think he is, and the rest of their starters have their ups and downs. Their bullpen is also a major issue outside of Gordon and Rivera, and their defense is less than stellar. Frankly, it's highly possible that the Angels' starters won't be much better though. Lackey has to pitch tonight, meaning he won't be available until probably game 3. The same goes for Colon if they go to game 5. Either way, Byrd and Washburn are going to have to pitch, who aren't intimidating matchups at all.

It just seems like we'll be in more close games if we play the Angels. With the Yankees it seems like they either get shut down or hit the cover off the ball. That's not conducive to winning a 7 game series.

Edited by ZoomSlowik