ALCS Roster announced

KevHead0881

They just broke in to Bears coverage to announce the ALCS rosters. I didn't catch all of it, but here's the important stuff.

Rotation:

Game 1: Contreras

Game 2: Buehrle

Game 3: Garcia

Game 4: Garland

Marte still in. McCarthy still off. :headshake

Edited by KevHead0881

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(mkalk @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 11:20 AM)
Seriously, how could we still have Marte, but leave McCarthy off?

The only logical reason that I've heard was given by Phil Rogers (yah, I know that sounds odd) this morning:

McCarthy will get some consideration for the 11-man pitching staff, possibly as a bullpen replacement for whipping-boy reliever Damaso Marte. This is a really tough call, and, if it's me, I stick with Marte, if only because he gives Guillen one less thing to think about.

Hernandez, the star of Game 3, is a starting pitcher moonlighting in the bullpen. He says he isn't worried about doing the job but qualified his answer, adding that "as long as I get enough time to warm up, I'll be fine." McCarthy would be in the same situation.

Although McCarthy might be a better matchup than Marte in a certain situation, even against left-handed hitters like Garret Anderson, Darin Erstad, Jason Giambi, Hideki Matsui and Robinson Cano, trouble comes fast in the sixth and seventh innings. Marte, who has done this at this level for four years, is a better option than worrying if McCarthy can get ready quickly.

Still don't agree with it. My philosophy is to go with your most effective players. And from what we've seen all year, there is no question as to who has been more effective. I'll trust Guillen and KW here, but if I see Marte out there walking guys in a big situation again, I might just go postal!

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 10:54 AM)
1b is the most important defensive position on the field.  I dont want someone who doesnt know what they are doing playing there..  but hey, thats just me.

We need Paulie back next year.. if he goes, our offense goes.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 11:13 AM)
They just broke in to Bears coverage to announce the ALCS rosters.  I didn't catch all of it, but here's the important stuff.

Rotation:

Marte still in.  McCarthy still off.  :headshake

Yes, Contreras ready to go

:gosox3: :gosox2: :gosox4:

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 11:13 AM)
Rotation:

Not what I would have done at all. If we lose this series, then Ozzie will be criticized regardless of what happens in Game 4.

If Garland pitches great and we win the game, the question will then be why not pitch Garland earlier and give him two starts. If Jon pitches poorly and we lose the game, it's all on Ozzie for giving him such a long rest.

I'd much rather switch Buehrle and Garland, especially if we're playing the Yankees.

With all that said, I'm done being critical of Ozzie. He's gotten us this far and he knows the team far better than me, so it's probably a good move.

EDIT: I guess I'm more upset since I feel Jon's getting shafted after being our best starter during the season and I don't think that's fair.

Edited by Frankensteiner

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 11:37 AM)
Not what I would have done at all. If we lose this series, then Ozzie will be criticized regardless of what happens in Game 4.

If Garland pitches great and we win the game, the question will then be why not pitch Garland earlier and give him two starts. If Jon pitches poorly and we lose the game, it's all on Ozzie for giving him such a long rest.

I'd much rather switch Buehrle and Garland, especially if we're playing the Yankees.

With all that said, I'm done being critical of Ozzie. He's gotten us this far and he knows the team far better than me, so it's probably a good move.

I understand your reasoning here. However, what if Garland pitched game 1 or 2 and lost, who's wrong then?

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 10:37 AM)

The way Count has pitched since the ASG, I have no problem with him getting the extra start. Who knows how it'll play out, but he's convinced me that he's the best choice for Game One.

I just wish The Walk Machine was removed from the roster. Mac did more in one month to deserve a role on the team than Marte's done in two years. So he sucks with his left arm - who cares?? It's not like Damaso Remlinger can get a lefty out anyway....

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 11:40 AM)
The way Count has pitched since the ASG, I have no problem with him getting the extra start. Who knows how it'll play out, but he's convinced me that he's the best choice for Game One.

I just wish The Walk Machine was removed from the roster. Mac did more in one month to deserve a role on the team than Marte's done in two years. So he sucks with his left arm - who cares?? It's not like Damaso Remlinger can get a lefty out anyway....

Contreras has just been :fight other teams

It's almost a miracle that Marte had an ERA under 4 for the season, but it all goes back to the other arms in the pen. They always saved his ass. He'd come in and allow however many runners were on base to score, he'd put his own runners on, and then another reliever would come in and save his ass and ERA. If you want a perfect example of this, look at what Duque did with the bases loaded. Marte's ERA should probably be like 6.

The rotation makes perfect sense. Garland in game 1 means two starts in the ALCS. No thank you. Contreras, Buerhle, Garcia are much better in that role.

Marte over BMac & Blum over Gload are both great examples of Ozzie believing in experience over performance. I don't agree with him on this but he's knocking on the door of the promised land so to speak so who am I to argue with him?

I can only hope & :pray Marte performs better.

First with the positive, I'm happy we're going with the same rotation as the alds, Jose should be starting game 1 and I like that ozzie is keeping the rotation the same. To the negative, Damaso sucks right now and he better not be used at all, another thing about this move, did anyone here yesterday how sutcliffe said that ozzie told him that he doesn't want to use Marte at home cause the crowd boo's him. So we bring a guy with who will only be used on the road who can't get anyone out?? Good call on that one. :headshake

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 10:41 AM)
If you are going to have Marte on the roster, why not bring Kevin Walker along just in case Marte does not suck enough.  The only logical reason to bring along Marte is for "mop up duty".  The guy can't get anybody out anymore.

Yet he'll still find a way to get into the game in a pressure situation. I REALLY hope Oz doesn't cost us a game by bringing this s***bird in.

DECISION TIME: Guillen will struggle with whether to leave Marte off the ALCS roster. The left-hander has struggled with his confidence, but if the Los Angeles Angels end up advancing to the next round, an experienced lefty would be crucial against left-handed hitters such as Garret Anderson, Darin Erstad, Steve Finley and Adam Kennedy.

That was taken from a Suntimes article today. Can you just imagine what Anderson, Erstad, Finley and Kennedy would do to Marte? HOLY s***.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 12:44 PM)
That was taken from a Suntimes article today.  Can you just imagine what Anderson, Erstad, Finley and Kennedy would do to Marte?  HOLY s***.

Exactly. Just because he is experienced doesn't mean he's good. I refer you to Sammy Sosa. Let's just hope and :pray Marte doesn't f*** up too badly.

Edited by mkalk

If this team loses because of Ozzie's unflappable faith in Marte over BMAC, Ozzie will NEVER hear the end of it from me.

Marte cannot get LEFTIES out, let alone righties.

Cmon Oz, what does that walk-fest in game 3 and the last month of the season watching Marte tell you?

The answer should be TOAST.

BMAC is one of the few pitchers that NY/ANA/BOS fear.