ALCS Roster announced

KevHead0881

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 04:23 PM)
I rememeber hearing someone on the radio a while who had done an interview with Ozzie. About halfway though the interview, someone came in and gave him stats or a scouting report or something liek that, he took it, the person walked out and he threw it in the TRASH!!!

than KW should talk to him about this. You can't go by your gut all the time.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 02:23 PM)
That's all YOUR opinion yet you think "we all can agree that Marte is better than Viz" despite the stats (i.e. FACTS) saying otherwise.

Why not McCarthy over Marte?

Is it Viz's fault that Hermanson, Politte, and Jenks have been this good this year?

Would you rather have Marte s*** his pants in a clutch situation or have Viz do a better job than Marte when he is called upon?

You haven't anwered any of my questions, so I'll just move along.

Viz's job is long relief correct? Well W/ McCarthy and El Duque on the roster that leaves him w/ no role other than BP thrower. Now Marte's role should be, if Cotts is unavailable, "Try to get a tough LH out, who can't hit Lh's well, but pound's Rh's". And that's it. If he can't get the guy out, Oz should take HIM out. Period Edited by CYGarland

QUOTE(YASNY @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 03:22 PM)
That's just it.  Everybody has an opinion, and none of them amount to a hill of beans unless your name is Ozzie Guillen, Kenny Williams or Don Cooper.

Dag nabit! Where were you and your voice of reason 20 minutes ago Yas? I really could have used that. :cheers :lol:

Interesting note: I took a look at marte's splits agains the Yanks and Angles.

Yanks: 1.64 ERA in 11.0 IP, 8 H, 10 BB, 4 SO

Angels: 1.93 ERA in 9.1 IP, 6 H, 3 BB, 11 SO

He must be hoping we play the Angels.

Side Note: Agains the Red Sox - 3.75 ERA in 12.0 IP, 11 H, 6 BB, 9K

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 04:30 PM)
Interesting note: I took a look at marte's splits agains the Yanks and Angles.

Yanks: 1.64 ERA in 11.0 IP, 8 H, 10 BB, 4 SO

Angels: 1.93 ERA in 9.1 IP, 6 H, 3 BB, 11 SO

He must be hoping we play the Angels.

Side Note: Agains the Red Sox - 3.75 ERA in 12.0 IP, 11 H, 6 BB, 9K

that walk to strike out ratio scares the s*** out of me.

I can see a situation where the Sox would bring Marte in (to face a guy he's owned in the past like G. Anderson). I see no reason to have Viz on the roster over McCarthy. The thing about lefty pitchers is that it's not always about how they are vs lefty batters. Sometimes, it's the opposite of that which is important. Some lefty hitters lose a lot of power when they have to face other lefties due to changes in their swings, as well as turning some switch hitters over. Isn't Chone a lot better against righties?

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 10:37 AM)
Not what I would have done at all. If we lose this series, then Ozzie will be criticized regardless of what happens in Game 4.

If Garland pitches great and we win the game, the question will then be why not pitch Garland earlier and give him two starts. If Jon pitches poorly and we lose the game, it's all on Ozzie for giving him such a long rest.

I'd much rather switch Buehrle and Garland, especially if we're playing the Yankees.

With all that said, I'm done being critical of Ozzie. He's gotten us this far and he knows the team far better than me, so it's probably a good move.

EDIT: I guess I'm more upset since I feel Jon's getting shafted after being our best starter during the season and I don't think that's fair.

If we lose the series, Ozzie will be criticized no matter what. All of us "experts" ripped him for sticking with Hernandez. Seemed like the right call.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 03:32 PM)
I can see a situation where the Sox would bring Marte in (to face a guy he's owned in the past like G. Anderson).  I see no reason to have Viz on the roster over McCarthy.  The thing about lefty pitchers is that it's not always about how they are vs lefty batters.  Sometimes, it's the opposite of that which is important.  Some lefty hitters lose a lot of power when they have to face other lefties due to changes in their swings, as well as turning some switch hitters over.  Isn't Chone a lot better against righties?

It doesn't matter at this point, they can go up there with the bat on their shoulders and be on first base.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)
I can see a situation where the Sox would bring Marte in (to face a guy he's owned in the past like G. Anderson).  I see no reason to have Viz on the roster over McCarthy.  The thing about lefty pitchers is that it's not always about how they are vs lefty batters.  Sometimes, it's the opposite of that which is important.  Some lefty hitters lose a lot of power when they have to face other lefties due to changes in their swings, as well as turning some switch hitters over.  Isn't Chone a lot better against righties?

Don't come in here and start making sense, it's a waste of time.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 04:26 PM)
I don't think anybody has thought about this either but when Vizcaino's slider is on lefties can't hit him.  Case in point 2003.  Lefties hit .190 against him.  I think i would rather risk Vizcaino's slider being on than Marte coming into a game.

Well, if we want to cite last years stats, Marte is a shoo-in.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 9, 2005 -> 09:33 PM)
It doesn't matter at this point, they can go up there with the bat on their shoulders and be on first base.

Hey, you know I've always said that the best strategy against Marte would be just to not swing, and make him throw 3 pitches over the plate. I'm a little concerned that Cotts might be rusty if he has to come in for a big situation. However, I don't give a s*** how concerned I am, this is f***ing awesome right now. This debate is a lot better than discussing who should be our 1b next season, etc.

Why oh why doesn’t a reporter have the gumption to ask Ozzie – and keep asking after every game in which Marte embarrasses himself – why he insists on using Marte instead of Cotts. Isn’t there room somewhere amidst the softball tosses (“Ozzie, could you speak a little bit about how happy you were about blah, blah, blah?”) for a legit question like that?

The Sox official site is reporting the Marte isn't going anywhere...and neither is McCarthy. While at first I thought that this was a s*** move, I don't know how I feel about BMac coming outta the bullpen in a close playoff game. It just doesn't feel like it would work. Of course, the same could be said of Marte.

I don't know why Ozzie has so much faith in Damaso, but I guess we should trust Ozzie's gut. Hopefully, Damaso got all of his bed-s***ting out of the way in Boston. Remember, this guy used to be our top bullpen dog. I hope he can refocus. I kinda have to agree with Guillen when he cites the need for two lefties in the bullpen. It's a huge advantage. I don't think anyone else in the league has two lefty relievers. Hopefully, Damaso gets used more in the 6th and 7th and Cotts gets more 8th and 9th inning opportunities.

As far as Contreras in Game 1, I was a little disappointed that Garland wasn't getting the start. However, I like our chances of winning that first game with the Count. Hopefully, Garland's simulated game will help him get back on track for a Game 3 start. And...if one of these first two games gets ridiculously close, maybe it wouldn't hurt to get Garland a couple dozen pitches. I wonder how'd he'd pitch outta the bullpen...

He's probably better off startin'...

What do you guys think of Garland's ridiculous amount of time off (10/1-10/14ish) and Marte's presence/BMac absence?

I think we should've dropped Viz and brought on BMac. For some reason, I still have faith in Marte.

The Sox official site is reporting the Marte isn't going anywhere...and neither is McCarthy.  While at first I thought that this was a s*** move, I don't know how I feel about BMac coming outta the bullpen in a close playoff game.  It just doesn't feel like it would work.  Of course, the same could be said of Marte.

I don't know why Ozzie has so much faith in Damaso, but I guess we should trust Ozzie's gut.  Hopefully, Damaso got all of his bed-s***ting out of the way in Boston.  Remember, this guy used to be our top bullpen dog.  I hope he can refocus.  I kinda have to agree with Guillen when he cites the need for two lefties in the bullpen.  It's a huge advantage.  I don't think anyone else in the league has two lefty relievers.  Hopefully, Damaso gets used more in the 6th and 7th and Cotts gets more 8th and 9th inning opportunities.

As far as Contreras in Game 1, I was a little disappointed that Garland wasn't getting the start.  However, I like our chances of winning that first game with the Count.  Hopefully, Garland's simulated game will help him get back on track for a Game 3 start.  And...if one of these first two games gets ridiculously close, maybe it wouldn't hurt to get Garland a couple dozen pitches.  I wonder how'd he'd pitch outta the bullpen...

He's probably better off startin'...

What do you guys think of Garland's ridiculous amount of time off (10/1-10/14ish) and Marte's presence/BMac absence? 

I think we should've dropped Viz and brought on BMac.  For some reason, I still have faith in Marte.

Already Posted