Yahoo article bashing WSox

NYSox35

Here is the link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=ArDN...ov=ap&type=lgns

This article really annoyed me. It's one thing when Mariotti and the Cubune bash us (people in Chicago generally know what is/isn't true with our city's teams), but it's another when a national writer focuses only on our negatives and bashes us in this way. Here is my response to the author. (I'm working on a project now but will be back later...go White Sox!)

Hello Jim,

Thanks for the great portrayal of the White Sox. It's nice to see yet another writer focus on all the negative attributes of the team's history. Couldn't you have worked in how nice a stadium Wrigley is and how many fans the Cubs draw while you were at it?

No, we don't have a cute stadium, celebrity fans, a curse, or our own "nation." Guess what though, we like it that way. Our focus has always been on our team and not the peripheral things you mention. While we aren't tops in attendnence, there are factors other than what you mention that play into that (No train to the stadium from the Suburbs, working class fan base, fans don't show up if we're fielding a bad team in a given year).

Beating Boston in the first round was particularly sweet. No one wanted us in the playoffs or expected us to do anything. We not only beat the defending champs, we swept them and ended their season in their own park. Personally, I am rooting for the Yankees, because it would be particularly sweet to beat the most storied franchise in baseball history and head to the world series, creating some history for ourselves that you say we lack in the process. That being said, seeing Anaheim in the ALCS wouldn't kill me. However, it might kill you and the rest of the media. I mean, what would you write about with no Boston, New York, or even the Cubs being involved.

To borrow Al Davis' line, White Sox fans (remember, we don't have a "nation" like you said) have always had the mentality of "Just Win Baby." When we do win, don't jump on our bandwagon. There won't be any room for you on the South Side express.

the further the sox go, expect more of this, not less.

frankly, i generally like litke's writing. he lives in chicago, so i'm surprised this story didn't do anything more than rehash a bunch of crap you'd find on a google search.

Who exactly does he think his audience is for this? If what he asserts is true, then he has no audience because nobody would be concerned enough with the Sox to read the article. Ergo...he must be writing to us, and ironically that's a failure too, because we don't care about all that trendy stuff anyway.

As far as a rebuttle to any of this "Sox aren't popular" crap, I offer a paraphrase of a letter I had published in our local paper a few years back in response to a similar article:

We can always argue that Sox fans aren't the most numerous, but are the best and most loyal. Why? Consider why people choose to follow teams: one, it is their local team, and two, they like to root for a winner. Well, in the case of the Sox fan, the explanation cannot just be that they are the local team, because certainly the Cubs would be the more attractive option. And, with an 87 year championship drought, it obviously is that we are just attracted to a winner. The makeup of a Sox fan apparently goes a lot deeper then any of that. We all have our stories and reasons, but together they make us the best fans in the world.

SFF

This isn't anything new.. Seems like many sportswriters in Chicago write s*** like this to get attention and obviously they are doing a good job of it. You don't have to believe it to write it.. Anyway, f*** them and let's move on and keep winning.... :gosox2:

If the Indians were advancing to the ALCS they'd be praising these feisty, upstart underdogs and characterizing them as working class players with a team first mentality and no superstars.

If the Tigers were advancing to the ALCS they'd be writing that a franchise with a great history is re-emerging from the ashes thanks to the brilliance of the front office and a coaching staff full of ex-Tigers who bring pride, tradition and a team-first mentality to the clubhouse.

If the Royals were advancing to the ALCS they'd be saying it's the underdog story of the decade - Sweeney would be an all-American hero carrying the hopes and dreams of this small-market franchise on his Herculian shoulders.

If the Twins were advancing to the ALCS they'd be saying it's their turn - they've waited soooo long for their return to the World Series (14 years), this team which rose through the minors together playing baseball the old-fashioned way (albeit in a dome). Gardenhire and Ryan would be the geniuses behind this small-market fable.

I don't want the praise or respect of these types of journalists who can't simply write about quality baseball unless they have some sort of cliche to exploit for story purposes.

QUOTE(NYSox35 @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 01:37 PM)
Here is the link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=ArDN...ov=ap&type=lgns

This article really annoyed me.  It's one thing when Mariotti and the Cubune bash us (people in Chicago generally know what is/isn't true with our city's teams), but it's another when a national writer focuses only on our negatives and bashes us in this way.  Here is my response to the author.  (I'm working on a project now but will be back later...go White Sox!)

Hello Jim,

Thanks for the great portrayal of the White Sox.  It's nice to see yet another writer focus on all the negative attributes of the team's history.  Couldn't you have worked in how nice a stadium Wrigley is and how many fans the Cubs draw while you were at it?

No, we don't have a cute stadium, celebrity fans, a curse, or our own "nation."  Guess what though, we like it that way.  Our focus has always been on our team and not the peripheral things you mention.  While we aren't tops in attendnence, there are factors other than what you mention that play into that (No train to the stadium from the Suburbs, working class fan base, fans don't show up if we're fielding a bad team in a given year). 

Beating Boston in the first round was particularly sweet.  No one wanted us in the playoffs or expected us to do anything.  We not only beat the defending champs, we swept them and ended their season in their own park.  Personally, I am rooting for the Yankees, because it would be particularly sweet to beat the most storied franchise in baseball history and head to the world series, creating some history for ourselves that you say we lack in the process. That being said, seeing Anaheim in the ALCS wouldn't kill me.  However, it might kill you and the rest of the media.  I mean, what would you write about with no Boston, New York, or even the Cubs being involved.

To borrow Al Davis' line, White Sox fans (remember, we don't have a "nation" like you said) have always had the mentality of "Just Win Baby."  When we do win, don't jump on our bandwagon.  There won't be any room for you on the South Side express.

Whatever

Edited by SoxRock192

Ignorance is bliss to these no local sportwriters. They are all the most ignorant people in the entire media. Just becuase they dont know or aren't aware they assume the rest of the world does too. I gurantee he has no idea there are die hard white sox fan clubs and sites; WSI, Soxtalk, WindyCity Sox Fans, etc. They are 100% morons who make no effort to do research if its something that they assume is not common knowledge. The national sports media is like a child, if you dont throw the material in their face and remind them over and over to look at it they wont at all. :chair

actually my bet is Litke will write you back; i've met the guy and he is OK, though I agree that article was horses***.

So what if there's no white sox nation.

There are plenty of cool stories on the south side, diehard fans

living in Mt. Greenwood, Beverly in the old mansions, etc., who live

and die with their Sox.

Screw you mr. Litke. Enjoy the same ol stories; the country is

getting Sox vs. Angels; nice little series between the also rans (Dodgers dominate media and fandom there; Cubs here).

QUOTE(greg775 @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 10:20 PM)
actually my bet is Litke will write you back; i've met the guy and he is OK, though I agree that article was horses***.

So what if there's no white sox nation.

There are plenty of cool stories on the south side, diehard fans

living in Mt. Greenwood, Beverly in the old mansions, etc., who live

and die with their Sox.

Screw you mr. Litke. Enjoy the same ol stories; the country is

getting Sox vs. Angels; nice little series between the also rans (Dodgers dominate media and fandom there; Cubs here).

true about the angels. they get no love and have been very good, if not great for the last 3 years. better than the yankmees at least. hopefully the sox turn into the angels and win the series and have a couple of great years themselves. go sox!!!