Colon Gone

Harry Chappas

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 09:58 PM)
I’ve got to disagree with the folks who say that the players will be unaffected by jet lag.  You don’t go back and forth across time zones as frequently as these guys have in the past few days without it affecting your body to some extent.  That is undisputed biologically.

They'll be tired, but when they cross the lines, adrenaline will be enough for them to get by. I think they are more concerned with Byrd having to pitch when he's not 100% (he was up in the pen today, so he won't be quite 100%).

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 06:07 AM)
They'll be tired, but when they cross the lines, adrenaline will be enough for them to get by.  I think they are more concerned with Byrd having to pitch when he's not 100% (he was up in the pen today, so he won't be quite 100%).

Idonno adrenaline isnt the same in baseball as it is an any other sport where you are a lot more active... in baseball they will be sitting down in the dugout a lot or standing around on the field....

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 01:11 AM)
Idonno adrenaline isnt the same in baseball as it is an any other sport where you are a lot more active... in baseball they will be sitting down in the dugout a lot or standing around on the field....

all of our players said that the tiredness wont get to them until game 2.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 12:58 AM)
I’ve got to disagree with the folks who say that the players will be unaffected by jet lag.  You don’t go back and forth across time zones as frequently as these guys have in the past few days without it affecting your body to some extent.  That is undisputed biologically.

Agree 100%. Adrenaline might get them through Game 1, but as the series drags on the Angels are much more likely to fatigue than the Sox.

The most important question is, can the Sox finally manage to extend a winning streak to 9 games tonight?!? Didn't we hit the wall at 8 on three different occasions during the regular season?

Go Go White Sox! :gosox2:

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 03:31 PM)
Agree 100%.  Adrenaline might get them through Game 1, but as the series drags on the Angels are much more likely to fatigue than the Sox.

The most important question is, can the Sox finally manage to extend a winning streak to 9 games tonight?!?  Didn't we hit the wall at 8 on three different occasions during the regular season?

Go Go White Sox!  :gosox2:

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :angry:

It's two different seasons, dude. Win streaks don't count like this. ;)

We're probably going to end up getting Byrd and Washburn twice. Neither has exactly been stellar against us and only got wins because of good run support. Plus they're both probably going to be off their game the first time, with Byrd on short rest and Washburn fighting an infection. Santana's start was one of those fluke outings when we were seeing a guy for the first time. If they were really that confident in him being a factor, he would have been in their rotation. He won't do as well as he did last time. The only way we should lose this series is if our rotation absolutely falls apart, which I doubt.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 11:47 AM)
OK, this has been pissing me off for a bit.  What about 5 1/3 IP 3 ER is an incredible outing?  It's definitely not even a quality start.

Not sure if that was directed at me, but I was referring to his monstrous start against us earlier in the year, when he threw a complete game shutout. His ERA on the year is 4.65, so I'm personally not too worried about that happening again.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 11:47 AM)
OK, this has been pissing me off for a bit.  What about 5 1/3 IP 3 ER is an incredible outing?  It's definitely not even a quality start.

If you are talking about what the media is saying, I think it is deserved. A young rookie pitches 5 1/2 innings in relief in an elimination game. It is pretty incredible, how excited would you be if that happened to Chicago and Buehrle went out in the 1st and McCarthy came in and sacked up like that.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 10:47 AM)

Basically he got off to a very rocky start, walking the world and then he just settled down and really did dominate until jeters homer.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 12:47 PM)

Agreed. Wouldn't even meet the low threshhold of a quality start, and his season ERA was better than that performance. He gave up 8 baserunners in those 5 1/3 innings - he's lucky the Yankees didn't toast him and that Matsui is a huge choker.

If the Angels as a team have a 5.03 ERA and 1.5 WHIP like Santana did in his "Great" performance last night against the Sox, they are screwed.

If Crosby and Sheffield don't collide, or if Sheffield holds on, everyone would be talking about Jeter's home run in the 7th (assuming the Yankees went on to win) off of Santana and how great Jeter is, and how great Randy Johnson is.

Thank goodness for Bubba Crosby!

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
Agreed.  Wouldn't even meet the low threshhold of a quality start, and his season ERA was better than that performance.  He gave up 8 baserunners in those 5 1/3 innings - he's lucky the Yankees didn't toast him and that Matsui is a huge choker.

If the Angels as a team have a 5.03 ERA and 1.5 WHIP like Santana did in his "Great" performance last night against the Sox, they are screwed.

If Crosby and Sheffield don't collide, or if Sheffield holds on, everyone would be talking about Jeter's home run in the 7th (assuming the Yankees went on to win) off of Santana and how great Jeter is, and how great Randy Johnson is.

i dont really put the blame on crosby is that situation cuz sheffield was leaping for the ball while crosby was about to catch it on the ground... plus hes the CF and has the right of way...

but either way the result was a good one!

QUOTE(Reddy @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 02:03 PM)
i dont really put the blame on crosby is that situation cuz sheffield was leaping for the ball while crosby was about to catch it on the ground... plus hes the CF and has the right of way...

Have to blame Crosby...Bernie Williams woudn't have gotten within 30 yards of that ball. :D

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 11:57 AM)
Agreed.  Wouldn't even meet the low threshhold of a quality start, and his season ERA was better than that performance.  He gave up 8 baserunners in those 5 1/3 innings - he's lucky the Yankees didn't toast him and that Matsui is a huge choker.

Yeah. I, too, thought they were going a little overboard.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
Have to blame Crosby...Bernie Williams woudn't have gotten within 30 yards of that ball. :D

Yeah. The Yankees defense really cost them last night. -- On that play Rowand and Dye would have been to the spot and been able to play a best of 3 set of Rock/Paper/Scissors to decide who would catch it, but the Yankees look Wile E Coyote running into a cliff wall.

11sheff583.jpg

Sheff also let Vlad go from first to third on a "single" that's safely in the web of Dye's glove 95% of the time.

I would blame Crosby because he is the centerfielder, and he is supposed to take charge in that situation and let Sheffield know it was his ball if he was going for it. The CF is supposed to be the vocal leader in the OF. Tough play thouugh, boths guys were going full steam ahead.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 01:11 PM)
I would blame Crosby because he is the centerfielder, and he is supposed to take charge in that situation and let Sheffield know it was his ball if he was going for it.  The CF is supposed to be the vocal leader in the OF.  Tough play thouugh, boths guys were going full steam ahead.

I read that the Anaheim crowd was so loud that Sheff and Crosby couldn't hear eachother.

QUOTE(SHAFTR @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 12:10 PM)
If you are talking about what the media is saying, I think it is deserved.  A young rookie pitches 5 1/2 innings in relief in an elimination game.  It is pretty incredible, how excited would you be if that happened to Chicago and Buehrle went out in the 1st and McCarthy came in and sacked up like that.

What pisses me off is what I heard. I was told (I didnt watch most of the game) that Santana put two people on during one of the innings, and then proceded to get out of it unscatched, and the announcers said something like "Thats just like what El Duque did for the White Sox the other night!". Again, I didnt see it myself, but if its true, its bulls***.