Thoughts on tonights game.

qwerty

To lead off the second inning anderson gets himself a 2-0 count. Contreras throws a fastball in the same spot he has hit all of his home runs this post season.

Top of third inning finley and kennedy single back to back. Figgins gets a perfect sacrafice bunt and moves both runners over. Crede has a chance to cut the runner off at home on cabrera's ground ball to him... insead he looks at home and decides to throw it to first. The only problem is he doubled pumped on the way to first and the runner is safe. So we are at first at third and with one out and vlad up. Vlad hits a one hopper ( i beleive that is what it was) right back to contreras. Kennedy was barely halfway and contreras was looking right at f***ing pierzynski and turns around and attempts to turn a double play. There is no possible way that cabrera and vlad will get doubled up while wasting as much time and contreras did.

Bottom of the sixth dye pops it right up to the pitcher while leading off. If you are feeling that bad at the plate or are that scared up there tell ozzie you are a pussy and you need someone to hit for you.

In the 8th inning podsednik tried to move him over with the bunt and failed ridiculously bad, he ended up stiking out looking. Later on dye singled and uribe rounded second... uribe's lackadasical ass walks right back into second base and was nearly out... i am talking a half of a second sooner they would have got him. Konerko also had two hangers from shields on back to back pitches from shields and could do nothing with it. He was clearly looking to go yard rather than double down the line which would have scored us two and put us in the lead.

Bottom of the ninth everett hits it to figgins and he boots the ball. We pinch hit everett with ozuna. Rather than attempting to hit out way on ( i admit rowand had no chance versus k-rod) we try and bunt ozuna over ( productive outs... YAYAYAYA). Well of course that failed and they ended up getting ozuna out at second and rowand was safe at first.

I blame this game 98.3% on the players and 1.7% on ozzie just because i can. :P

QUOTE(qwerty @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 10:14 PM)

Blaming Ozzie is just expected. I dont think some of those moronic calls were his doing though, and hey, at least he didnt put in Marte to end it out.

That's what I thought. I'd have rather shown bunt like they did and have the corners charging and take my chances with a hit and run or just swing away. There was NO WAY they could have moved the runners over with the corners charging like they were.

the key to this game was execution and we failed in most aspects tonight like qwert said

#1 failing to get bunts down on any occassion

#2 failing to realize when to run and when to not run

#3 failing to act well defensively

#4 failing to be patient at the plate

we did all 4 things right during the red sox series so hopefully tomorrow these guys wake up and decide to execute

I wish Paulie would have bashed a homer in the bottom of the eighth. Had that happened, the Cell woulda gone nutso, Bobby woulda come on in the 9th and we'd be the darlings of America again.

We wouldn't be talking about botched bunts.

Instead ... mark has to kick ass in Game Two. We need to win that game. You don't go to Anaheim down 0-2 and win this series IMO

QUOTE(AssHatSoxFan @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 09:45 PM)
the key to this game was execution and we failed in most aspects tonight like qwert said

#1 failing to get bunts down on any occassion

#2 failing to realize when to run and when to not run

#3 failing to act well defensively

#4 failing to be patient at the plate

we did all 4 things right during the red sox series so hopefully tomorrow these guys wake up and decide to execute

Agreed with all except the bunts. Just how are you supposed to get a bunt down with both corners in your jock?!? Personally....I'd have rather shown bunt and either hit and run or just swung away.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 07:25 PM)
I agree to a certain extent.  I disagreed with Scotty and Arow bunting in those situations.  We had enough trouble hitting, we didnt need to give up anymore outs.

I think thats when you have to bunt (when you have trouble hitting). I kind of disagreed doing it with Rowand, but i had no problem with Scotty doing it. I just don't get why Scotty wasn't gonna try a drag bunt down the 1st base line.

QUOTE(JoeBatterz @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 08:02 PM)
I love the comment about Dye.

It is like in little league when you could not hit a guy and you would try to lay down a bunt just to get some contact and maybe get lucky.

Say what you want about Dye...he gets that bunt down and its a hit. The Sox weren't getting the job done and Jermaine tried to do something. He gets that bunt remotedly down and they had a leadoff runner with Paulie up. It didn't happen, big deal.

The problem was obviously the amount of outs the club gave away, but at the same time, stuff happens and the Sox lost.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 10:04 PM)
Say what you want about Dye...he gets that bunt down and its a hit.  The Sox weren't getting the job done and Jermaine tried to do something.  He gets that bunt remotedly down and they had a leadoff runner with Paulie up.  It didn't happen, big deal.

The problem was obviously the amount of outs the club gave away, but at the same time, stuff happens and the Sox lost.

Today was just ugly and there is no way getting around it, our guys just have to forget about this one and go get them tomorrow.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 08:05 PM)
Today was just ugly and there is no way getting around it, our guys just have to forget about this one and go get them tomorrow.

Exactly. All I'm saying is that the club didn't execute. That happens every once in a while and its tough. I'm just ready for tomorrow. Its another day and the Sox have the pitching staff that can go on a serious run in the post-season.

Rowand bunting in the 9th was ridiculous. You're putting everything on

AJ. There is absolutely no way Crede can hit K-Rod.Absolutely no way. Rowand had to hit there and be short and quick.

Why was AJ stealing? I hope there was a missed sign.

What's with Dye bunting? If that's his only way to get on, the Sox better find someone else to bat 3rd.

A couple of tough plays that if they are made the game is still tied. The DP ball where Iguchi got nailed and threw it high, and the slow roller to Crede who had no play at home but hesitated toward home anyway and had no shot at Cabrera.

Pods unable to execute a bunt was painful especially after Dye's single.

We looked like a team that had not played in 3 or 4 days. Goofy plays, failed to put together any good rallies on a relatively mediocre playoff wise pitcher, and lack of fundamentals. Thankfully our pitching showed up, lets get em tommorow.

Edited by KipWellsFan

Someone might want to notify Podsednik and Rowand that, when sac bunting a man from first to second, you bunt down the first base line.  Little leaguers know this.

I think Podsednik was actually trying to bunt for a hit instead of just moving Uribe over. Rowand just isn't a very good bunter. That pissed me off as well.

Edited by SSH2005

We played like ass and lost 3-2 (thanks to Crede). With a team whose pitching is in such disarray as the Angels, I don't worry. Go out and get them tomorrow, then fight the good fight in LA, come back home and do what you gotta do.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 05:36 AM)
I think Podsednik was actually trying to bunt for a hit instead of just moving Uribe over.  Rowand just isn't a very good bunter.  That pissed me off as well.

With my seats high above home plate, I had a great view of Pods bunt attempts. They were absolutely awful, and he didn't give himself a chance in hell of putting the bunt into play. He's usually a very good bunter, but I don't know what the hell was going on with him that AB. We gave up 5 outs due to smallball tonight. That's way, way too many.

QUOTE(Spiff @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 12:50 AM)
We played like ass and lost 3-2 (thanks to Crede).  With a team whose pitching is in such disarray as the Angels, I don't worry. Go out and get them tomorrow, then fight the good fight in LA, come back home and do what you gotta do.

Thanks to Crede? No sir. This was a complete team loss.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 12:52 AM)
With my seats high above home plate, I had a great view of Pods bunt attempts.  They were absolutely awful, and he didn't give himself a chance in hell of putting the bunt into play.  He's usually a very good bunter, but I don't know what the hell was going on with him that AB.  We gave up 5 outs due to smallball tonight.  That's way, way too many.

That was a pathetic bunting display. In fact, that was the only time I really got pissed off the whole game.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 11:14 PM)
To lead off the second inning anderson gets himself a 2-0 count. Contreras throws a fastball in the same spot he has hit all of his home runs this post season.

Top of third inning finley and kennedy single back to back. Figgins gets a perfect sacrafice bunt and moves both runners over. Crede has a chance to cut the runner off at home on cabrera's ground ball to him... insead he looks at home and decides to throw it to first. The only problem is he doubled pumped on the way to first and the runner is safe. So we are at first at third and with one out and vlad up. Vlad hits a one hopper ( i beleive that is what it was) right back to contreras. Kennedy was barely halfway and contreras was looking right at f***ing pierzynski and turns around and attempts to turn a double play. There is no possible way that cabrera and vlad will get doubled up while wasting as much time and contreras did.

Bottom of the sixth dye pops it right up to the pitcher while leading off. If you are feeling that bad at the plate or are that scared up there tell ozzie you are a pussy and you need someone to hit for you.

In the 8th inning podsednik tried to move him over with the bunt and failed ridiculously bad, he ended up stiking out looking. Later on dye singled and uribe rounded second... uribe's lackadasical ass walks right back into second base and was nearly out... i am talking a half of a second sooner they would have got him. Konerko also had two hangers from shields on back to back pitches from shields and could do nothing with it. He was clearly looking to go yard rather than double down the line which would have scored us two and put us in the lead.

Bottom of the ninth everett hits it to figgins and he boots the ball. We pinch hit everett with ozuna. Rather than attempting to hit out way on ( i admit rowand had no chance versus k-rod) we try and bunt ozuna over ( productive outs... YAYAYAYA). Well of course that failed and they ended up getting ozuna out at second and rowand was safe at first.

They had a chance at 2 with the Vlad chopper iguchi didn't expect it, vlad didn't come out of the Batters box flying. If iguchi sees Contreras comming to second his pivot would have been different. they had a shot of ending the inning there.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 12:20 AM)
That was a pathetic bunting display.  In fact, that was the only time I really got pissed off the whole game.

I hear ya...but I can't say that was the only time I was pissed off. That defense in the 3rd had me pretty riled. After that...the most I was jacked was PK's AB in the 8th. In the 9th...I really would have rather had ARow hit and run after showing bunt. I like the chances of him hitting a bleeder (which is good odds) through the hole than moving the runners over with the corners charging.

I think the stats show that the team who won the first game in the LCS in the last 15 or so years has gone on to advance to the World Series 61% of the time. The Sox need a win today. Plain and simple. That is a fact. No doubt we suck on the west coast and lost the last 4 against the Halos, but if we go down 0-2 there, it will be hard to have a chance to win. :gosox3: