Official ruling

IlliniKrush

Just to shed some light on this from an experienced plate umpire.

Regardless of whether or not the ball hit the ground, the umpire ruled 'out.' An arm extended means strike 3, the fist means 'batter is out'. Once he does this, he CANNOT ask for help at all. He's out, regardless of whether the ball hit the dirt or whatever any other umpire says.

I'll take it. Sox win. But this is the most ridiculous thing i've ever seen.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 10:11 PM)

Regardless of whether or not the ball hit the ground, the umpire ruled 'out.' An arm extended means strike 3, the fist means 'batter is out'.  Once he does this, he CANNOT ask for help at all. He's out, regardless of whether the ball hit the dirt or whatever any other umpire says.

I was wondering about this but does anyone know if that can be protested by the Angels. I absolutely hate winning like this.

But on the other hand hats off to Mark Buehrle, he was phenomenal tonight.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 10:11 PM)

Regardless of whether or not the ball hit the ground, the umpire ruled 'out.' An arm extended means strike 3, the fist means 'batter is out'.  Once he does this, he CANNOT ask for help at all. He's out, regardless of whether the ball hit the dirt or whatever any other umpire says.

If you are correct, tune in to the Baseball Tonight crew. You will get a good laugh at how bad they're butchering this rule right now.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 09:11 PM)

Can't that be a strike call though?

QUOTE(3E8 @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 10:17 PM)
If you are correct, tune in to the Baseball Tonight crew.  You will get a good laugh at how bad they're butchering this rule right now.

I'm definitely correct. The fist doesn't mean he swung. The fist means two things at the same time: Caught (no dirt) and batter is out. It's not arm for swing and fist for he swung again. Also, when it's done so lacksadaisacal like that, it is signifying that the ump knows he caught it for sure. Once he ruled out instead of asking for help (and there are subtle ways to do this with the other umpires), he's out. The umpire then backtracked, for whatever reason. I don't know what's going to come out of his mouth, but he won't be able to sleep tonight.

I still can't believe it. And i'm not b****ing. I'm just trying to help some people understand this. And i'm watching BBTN, they butched it badly.

"Rule 6.09

When a batter becomes a base runner on a third strike not caught by the catcher and starts for the dugout, or his position, and then realizes his situation and attempts then to reach first base, he is not out unless he or first base is tagged before he reaches first base. If, however, he actually reaches the dugout or dugout steps, he may not then attempt to go to first base and shall be out."

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 10:20 PM)
I'm definitely correct. The fist doesn't mean he swung. The fist means two things at the same time: Caught (no dirt) and batter is out. It's not arm for swing and fist for he swung again. Also, when it's done so lacksadaisacal like that, it is signifying that the ump knows he caught it for sure. Once he ruled out instead of asking for help (and there are subtle ways to do this with the other umpires), he's out. The umpire then backtracked, for whatever reason. I don't know what's going to come out of his mouth, but he won't be able to sleep tonight.

I still can't believe it. And i'm not b****ing. I'm just trying to help some people understand this.  And i'm watching BBTN, they butched it badly.

It's Sports Center...not BBTN :P

Blackjack McDowell just made a great f***ing point, one that I meant to make this afternoon. Everyone will b**** about the call tonight, but Cabrera got away with an illegal slide to break up that DP last night that gave the Angels the 3rd run. Cabrera came out of his slide and rolled into Iguchi. That's an illegal slide, and theoretically, it should have been a DP.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 10:24 PM)
Blackjack McDowell just made a great f***ing point, one that I meant to make this afternoon.  Everyone will b**** about the call tonight, but Cabrera got away with an illegal slide to break up that DP last night that gave the Angels the 3rd run.  Cabrera came out of his slide and rolled into Iguchi.  That's an illegal slide, and theoretically, it should have been a DP.

While I agree with you 100%, that situation didn't result in a run for the Angels. That would weaken our "they got some breaks with calls, too" argument on that particular instance.

Glad we won, just pointing that out.

:gosox4:

But ya know what....all these f***in umpires really have their own little set of "things" they do...so unless he actually said "out"....AJ did the smart thing. Paul shoulda been a little smarter and just tagged him anyway for safe measure.

On a different note....wasn't that a full count...and AJ swung at ball 4.

QUOTE(Balance @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 09:31 PM)
While I agree with you 100%, that situation didn't result in a run for the Angels.  That would weaken our "they got some breaks with calls, too" argument on that particular instance.

Glad we won, just pointing that out.

:gosox4:

Um...yes it did.