IT WAS THE RIGHT CALL.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 10:24 PM)
They only ran it on ESPN about 20 times since the end of the game.

Well ya, I know that but he's saying that there has been some different replay that clearly shows it hit the ground, I still can see nothign conclusive. I just have the hint that it hit the ground because Paul keep his glove on the dirt for about a second like he's trying to scoop the ball up.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The best view of the "trap" is super slow mo frame by frame from the centerfield angle.

In one frame the ball will appear in the lower part of the glove almost touching the ground, and then in the next frame the ball is in a higher part of the glove.

To me that indicates that the ball hit the dirt and then bounced up.

It is the only angle that could possibly have the answer because the glove blocks all other angles.

SB

Watching Baseball Tonight, the issue appears to be concentrated more on the umpire signaling an "out" with his fist rather than the baseball scathing off the dirt. They must have conceeded the fact it hit the ground before deflecting into Paul's mit.

Apparently, the body language is the issue here with BBTN crew. I heard quotes the umpire left his fist upwards in anticipation of Paul applying to tag.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 10:27 PM)
It will be funny to see how the Cubune spins this, I'm sure they'll focus on the call about 98% and call it bad and wrong and largely ignore MB's awesome outing.

if it was the Cubs they would shrug it off and say it's part of the game and it shows how the team is magical.

Thats the entire media dude. MBs outing will get little or no mention whatsoever and thats sad.

It might have been the right call, its still hard to tell, but he signaled out. That's the problem. I am so happy he did call it a trap.I think Buerhle was going back out in the 10th and I had visions of Britt Burns and Tito Landrum back in 1983. That game featured a baserunning blunder just like this one. What did the replay show when Crede was doubled up? It really didn't matter, Pods would have had to drive him in, and I think we all know that wasn't happening.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 11:35 PM)
So...did I miss anything interesting?

We won the game. And now the rest of baseball is hating us! To which I say, "Who give a *^%#!" It is when we are cornered that we play our best game. So go ahead and hate us!

Man Balta, how did you get more than 5,500 posts when you just joined in April?

Man, you type fast, don't you?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 10:39 PM)
It might have been the right call, its still hard to tell, but he signaled out. That's the problem. I am so happy he did call it a trap.I think Buerhle was going back out in the 10th and I had visions of Britt Burns and Tito Landrum back in 1983. That game featured a baserunning blunder just like this one. What did the replay show when Crede was doubled up? It really didn't matter, Pods would have had to drive him in, and I think we all know that wasn't happening.

The replay on Crede getting doubled off showed he was clearly out.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 10:42 PM)
I had visions of a strikeout on a ball in the dirt just like how every one of our other hitters did against Escobar.  I'm glad I was wrong.  Escobar left his splitter up.

Our guys were swinging away at crap in the dirt all night long. I was talking to one of my friends and I called the AJ k on the pitch in the dirt. Fortunately it turned out ok.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 10:42 PM)
I had visions of a strikeout on a ball in the dirt just like what every one of our other hitters did against Escobar.  I'm glad I was wrong.  Escobar left his splitter up and the rest is history.

God damn their pen is filthy. I really hope these guys realize it's not gonna get easier as the game goes on. Lackey is going to give them fits but I hope they adjust. Then we got Santana who looked like Johan vs. us...oh s***. Tag their asses early and shut the door. :gosox1:

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 11:44 PM)
Our guys were swinging away at crap in the dirt all night long.  I was talking to one of my friends and I called the AJ k on the pitch in the dirt.  Fortunately it turned out ok.

You know if our guys didn't swing at all, we might have scored a walk-in run. Man, how could you swing at a whole bunch of in-the-dirt balls and stand still at the in-middle-of-the-plate ones???

QUOTE(black jack @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 10:47 PM)
Yeah they were swinging at s***, but I can't count the number of low and outside pitches that were called for strikes.

They were almost forced to swing at the garbage.

The zone Washburn got was HUGE. I was staring at disbelief at pitches chest high getting called for strikes and there were a couple that got called below the knees.

QUOTE(S720 @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 11:47 PM)
You know if our guys didn't swing at all, we might have scored a walk-in run.  Man, how could you swing at a whole bunch of in-the-dirt balls and stand still at the in-middle-of-the-plate ones???

Only times he threw a ball in the dirt was when he was up 0-2 or 1-2. He was never in jeopardy of walking anyone even if the sox didn't swing.

Only times he threw a ball in the dirt was when he was up 0-2 or 1-2. He was never in jeopardy of walking anyone even if the sox didn't swing.

Exactly. Our hitters were taking perfect strikes by Escobar early in the count and then swinging at his s*** in the dirt. Escobar pitched well but a lot of his good performance was horrible pitch selection by all of our hitters.

It might have been the right call, its still hard to tell, but he signaled out.

His signal was certainly questionable, but Josh Paul didn't see it, so that in itself did not affect how Paul reacted throwing the ball back to the mound. Paul was in front of the umpire running away out of his crouch. The fist pump was made almost simultaneously with Paul tossing the ball back to the catcher. So that cannot be used as an excuse for Josh Paul.

If the Angles want to claim that motion froze the other players such as the pitcher who may have reacted in time to throw him out, then we can argue that. But they aren't making that argument. It's clear no one really knew what was happening and Josh Paul, Chicago boy that he is, made an assumption he should not have. All he had to do is tag AJ as he was standing in front of him.

Catchers do it all the time, just to be sure. It's the same as if an infielder catches a low line drive in the infield, they are taught to go ahead and throw to 1B and not assume the umpire will rule it a catch.