How the umps will call the rest of the games

Texsox

One make up call? No make up call? Angels get the benefit the rest of the series? It seems many times that officials in all sports "even things out". I just hope this doesn't stick around for the rest of the series.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 06:45 AM)
I think the umps believe it was the right call.  During their press conference last night, they were pretty adamant about that.  This was not an umpiring mistake.  It was a cathers mistake.

Actually, I don't think they believe that...just from their press conference words, I think they're as confused as anyone else.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 08:24 AM)
For all the talk about "BALLGATE", hehe, it doesn't matter a damn bit if Joe Crede makes an out, now does it?

Just a thought.

I agree with this.

Obviously, I'm not judging this play from an outside prospective, but it's difficult to place ALL the blame on the umpiring crew (which, apparently, nearly everyone outside Chicago believes). There was still a game left to be played after the call was ruled on the field. Make a good pitch to Crede and the inning is over. If the Angels are determined to win they will overcome this.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 03:48 PM)
I agree with this.

Obviously, I'm not judging this play from an outside prospective, but it's difficult to place ALL the blame on the umpiring crew (which, apparently, nearly everyone outside Chicago believes). There was still a game left to be played after the call was ruled on the field. Make a good pitch to Crede and the inning is over. If the Angels are determined to win they will overcome this.

Game three just became huge.

This will light a flaming freakin' inferno under the Angels, IMO. We need to be good enough to withstand this.

If we are, the AL pennant will fly in Chicago. We'll see soon enough, won't we?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 11:18 AM)

This will light a flaming freakin' inferno under the Angels, IMO.  We need to be good enough to withstand this.

If we are, the AL pennant will fly in Chicago.  We'll see soon enough, won't we?

I think it will be huge, but I consider what happened in game 2 to be a HUGE mometum swing in favor of the Sox. I think this is exactly what we needed to get going again.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)
I think it will be huge, but I consider what happened in game 2 to be a HUGE mometum swing in favor of the Sox.  I think this is exactly what we needed to get going again.

This is my favorite momentum theory :cheers

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 11:18 AM)

This will light a flaming freakin' inferno under the Angels, IMO.  We need to be good enough to withstand this.

If we are, the AL pennant will fly in Chicago.  We'll see soon enough, won't we?

I hate to agree with this, but for the 1st time in 3 weeks, I'm nervous about the next Sox game.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 10:18 AM)

This will light a flaming freakin' inferno under the Angels, IMO.

This is my fear as well. I hate sayin this...but I almost expect a blowout next game (using the pessimistic reverse psycology here).

My thinking is Scioscia will be pissed off and the rest of the Angels will be looking at Garland like a Tee Ball stand. I pray that doesn't happen.

That ump last night was so inconsistent with his strike zone, that it really didn't surprise me that the call happened. He didn't really seem to know what was going on.

I haven't been around much the past day or so, but, has any argued Scioscia's long, belabored objection to the umpire crew may have hurt his ballclub. Escobar, or whoever that was, was rolling at that point. I'm not faulting his questioning the call...you have to do that...but, I think he would have been much better off clapping his hands, giving his pitcher a pat on the ass and troting back to the dugout. By staying out there and making a federal case of it, he almost set his Angels up for failure in that inning.

Am I alone on this? I don't know. I don't get the opportunity to get much sports talk radio down here.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 12:27 PM)
I haven't been around much the past day or so, but, has any argued Scioscia's long, belabored objection to the umpire crew may have hurt his ballclub.  Escobar, or whoever that was, was rolling at that point.  I'm not faulting his questioning the call...you have to do that...but, I think he would have been much better off clapping his hands, giving his pitcher a pat on the ass and troting back to the dugout.  By staying out there and making a federal case of it, he almost set his Angels up for failure in that inning.

Am I alone on this?  I don't know.  I don't get the opportunity to get much sports talk radio down here.

I hadn't looked at it that way. Interesting perspective Addy.

I think the next four close calls will be going in their favor.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 12:27 PM)
I haven't been around much the past day or so, but, has any argued Scioscia's long, belabored objection to the umpire crew may have hurt his ballclub.  Escobar, or whoever that was, was rolling at that point.  I'm not faulting his questioning the call...you have to do that...but, I think he would have been much better off clapping his hands, giving his pitcher a pat on the ass and troting back to the dugout.  By staying out there and making a federal case of it, he almost set his Angels up for failure in that inning.

Am I alone on this?  I don't know.  I don't get the opportunity to get much sports talk radio down here.

Good analysis. Someone else mentioned he should have called the infield together and calmed them down.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 09:45 AM)
I think the umps believe it was the right call.  During their press conference last night, they were pretty adamant about that.  This was not an umpiring mistake.  It was a cathers mistake.

Yeah, but there's no way an ump on that crew second-guesses the home-plate ump. At least not five minutes after the game is over. The umps are going to stick together, right or wrong.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 11:32 AM)
I hadn't looked at it that way. Interesting perspective Addy.

I think the next four close calls will be going in their favor.

Not that that's any different from usual. Rowand at home and Crede getting doubled up were both definitely close enough to go either way. If the Rowand call goes our way, does that become the huge controversy of the game?