Dropped 3rd rule.

Kid Gleason

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 12:48 PM)
Can somebody explain the purpose of the rule? Somebody was just asking me and all I could really say was "it just is...". It's not like the Infield Fly where there is a logical reason for it, from what I can tell. What exactly is the purpose?

Great question.

Just like the first baseman has to catch the ball on a force and touch the base, the play is completed when the ball is secured by the other team. The "out play" is a thrown between the pitcher and catcher.

I forget about what happens when a runner is at first. Doesn't 1st have to be open?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
Great question.

Just like the first baseman has to catch the ball on a force and touch the base, the play is completed when the ball is secured by the other team. The "out play" is a thrown between the pitcher and catcher.

I forget about what happens when a runner is at first. Doesn't 1st have to be open?

First base has to be open unless there is two outs. If there is two outs, the batter-runner gets the opportunity to advance to first regardless.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 12:55 PM)
First base has to be open unless there is two outs.  If there is two outs, the batter-runner gets the opportunity to advance to first regardless.

And the defense would have the opportunity to throw out any runner? Is it a force at second?

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)
But why does the batter get to run on the drop?

The put out is recorded by the catcher who completes the play. The swing and a miss is only part of the play, just like grounding to the second baseman is only part of a routine out at first. The offensive team has to complete the play, which is either the catcher catching the ball, or the batter/runner being tagged out. Continuing the analogy, the first baseman could drop the throw from second but could still pick up the ball and tag the runner or base on the force.

Clearer?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 06:18 PM)
The put out is recorded by the catcher who completes the play. The swing and a miss is only part of the play, just like grounding to the second baseman is only part of a routine out at first. The offensive team has to complete the play, which is either the catcher catching the ball, or the batter/runner being tagged out. Continuing the analogy, the first baseman could drop the throw from second but could still pick up the ball and tag the runner or base on the force.

Clearer?

thank you this solved it for me

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 11:08 AM)
But why does the batter get to run on the drop?

I've always thought of it as basically a wild pitch. If the ball hits the dirt...it is considered a wild pitch, and the runner has an opportunity to move up. In this case, he's moving up from home to first, instead of moving from another base as would be the case given a "normal" wild pitch.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 12:18 PM)

Clearer?

Yup, that about does it. I knew I could count on you. :D

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 12:21 PM)
I've always thought of it as basically a wild pitch.  If the ball hits the dirt...it is considered a wild pitch, and the runner has an opportunity to move up.  In this case, he's moving up from home to first, instead of moving from another base as would be the case given a "normal" wild pitch.

I always saw it like that also, but then I was asked "then why can't you run on any wild pitch" so I knew there had to be more to it. I explained it as 'when the ball hits the dirt, that ends that play, and the new one is now in effect and has to be ended with the tag', so i think I was close.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 12:27 PM)
Yup, that about does it. I knew I could count on you.  :D

I always saw it like that also, but then I was asked "then why can't you run on any wild pitch" so I knew there had to be more to it. I explained it as 'when the ball hits the dirt, that ends that play, and the new one is now in effect and has to be ended with the tag', so i think I was close.

If a batter swing and a miss but the ball was not caught by the catcher, that is still a strike out but he has to be tagged out or thrown out at 1st.

QUOTE(bulokis @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 12:33 PM)
If a batter swing and a miss but the ball was not caught by the catcher, that is still a strike out but he has to be tagged out or thrown out at 1st.

Well I know that, but the question was "Why". I was looking for a reason, such as with the infield fly being like it is to prevent the set-up for the double play and tricking the batter and runners. That's all.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 01:40 PM)
Well I know that, but the question was "Why". I was looking for a reason, such as with the infield fly being like it is to prevent the set-up for the double play and tricking the batter and runners. That's all.

If you look at the fielding stats, the catcher is credited with the PO on strike outs. Konerko leads the team, but AJ is tied with Gooch for second. Sometimes, when explaining the rule, that helps.