Profession Guilty Pleasure

AddisonStSox

Alright, let me just preface this by saying I am of sound body and mind. No outside, smokey, collegiate factors led to the creation of this thread. :lol:

Does anyone else have some profession they would have loved to pursue as a guilty pleasure of sorts? For instance, instead of going off to college does anyone wish they just stayed home and opened a deli or something to that end?

I don't know.

For me, I would have loved to open a fish market. Yeah, a fish market. Maybe after I fail the bar repeatedly, I'll actually be able to do just that. :lol:

Ok, quickly, someone tell me I'm not the only one thinking of this crap.

I wanted to be a foreign correspondent and cover wars in far off lands. Then I was talking to a foreign correspondent, and he mentioned that the most disappointing thing he wasn't prepared for, was the lack of female companionship. He had gotten laid three times in 1980 and that was an average year. :o Now three times a year isn't bad for a Priest from a small parish, but . . .

Switched majors the next day.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 07:46 AM)
I always wanted to be a hair dresser/stylist.

Customer "Wow, that is a great cut, and thank you for the advice on my dissociative fugue. Are you like a Psychologist/Hairdresser?"

Soxy "Yes I am, I am America's new Super Hero"

There were a couple for me. I got offered a bunch of positions in broadcasting out of college, and I always wondered how those would have turned out. I didn't follow that route because it would have been minimum wage and way too many years of grief for me at that time.

I also got a call for an interview to an entry level position with the White Sox two weeks after I started working on the trading floor, and couldn't take anytime off yet to go to an interview.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 08:06 AM)
Customer "Wow, that is a great cut, and thank you for the advice on my dissociative fugue. Are you like a Psychologist/Hairdresser?"

Soxy "Yes I am, I am America's new Super Hero"

Reminds me of the Arrested Development episode where the one brother is a combination analyst/therapist or an analrapist :lolhitting

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 08:02 AM)
I have wanted to own a pet store for my whole life.   I probably will someday.   Stores like PetSmart and Petco make it pretty difficult for small petstores to compete though.

Mr. Peebles, How much is that gorilla in the window?

magilla2.jpg

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 07:14 AM)
There were a couple for me.  I got offered a bunch of positions in broadcasting out of college, and I always wondered how those would have turned out.  I didn't follow that route because it would have been minimum wage and way too many years of grief for me at that time.

I also got a call for an interview to an entry level position with the White Sox two weeks after I started working on the trading floor, and couldn't take anytime off yet to go to an interview.

Wow, you're not a real Sox fan after all, are you????

:P :bang

I always figured if I won the Lotto ( which would be a REAL longshot for me, since I never play it :D ) I would open up a nightclub to feature metal and punk shows.

Give that sonuvab**** Joe Shanahan a run for his money...

I figured that the "pay-to-play" money alone would help the club stay above water financially....

:D

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 07:39 AM)
And maybe you could talk R.E.M. into being the the first act booked in your club like he did. . .  :D

Only if I could get that roadie or whatever to move his anniversary party to my club.

and to be factual they weren't the R.E.M. they would go on to become. They were on the rise, but still basically not THAT well known. The first band booked could just as easily been someone similar at the time like Charlie Sexton or Flesh For Lulu, and then it wouldn't be as impressive.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 07:58 AM)
Point Taken. :bang

I guess the cbgb mystique would not be so huge either if you replaced The Ramones, Patti Smith, Blondie, and Talking Heads with the Starland Vocal Band and Shaun Cassidy either.  :D

...see, now that's just silly....

:P

The only point I was trying to make is that REM HAPPENED to be the first show, not so much that Shanahan had some crystal ball that made him CHOOSE them to be the first show. It could just as easily been someone like Flesh For Lulu or the Dickies or a local band at the time.

I wasn't talking about replacing the club's entire history of bands and replacing them with Shaun Cassidy, ya knucklehead!!!

That said, my first show at The Critic Lounge would be Pearl Jam, Megadeth, Green Day, Prince, and the Smashing Pumpkins reunion show......just so I could have a KILLER first show ever for people to talk about later!

:lolhitting

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 08:51 AM)
Ach, I have a love/hate relationship with Metro anyway.  I saw some good shows there, but also some clams - mostly to appease the Metro junkie girlfriend who was the high school love of my life.

Could have been worse, I guess.  She could have been a Cubs fan.  :D

I hear ya, man, I married one of those.... :huh: :lol:

Good thing she has so many great qualities, the Cub thing can get overlooked.... :D

and I do love the Metro - even a bad show is kinda OK there.