Go-Go White Sox

mreye

I didn't see this posted.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-nws-gogosox14.html

Sox fans go ga-ga for 'Go-Go' oldie

October 14, 2005

BY MARK J. KONKOL Staff Reporter 

This year's South Side ball club is not your father's Go-Go White Sox. But come rally time, fans all over town are singing the old man's tune -- that catchy "Let's Go, Go-Go White Sox" number from 1959.

Shelved for decades, the Sox fight song resurfaced in July when designated team pack rat Jeff Szynal dusted off an old Captain Stubby and Buccaneers 45 to spin at a turn-back-the-clock game against the Los Angeles Dodgers.

"It was one of my records. I just found it in my collection," said Szynal, the Sox' resident scoreboard maestro.

He put together a video montage and ran the words, karaoke-style, across the bottom of the big screen. When the tune hit stadium speakers, the crowd sang along, and the Sox won in dramatic fashion with a walk-off homer.

"The place went nuts . . . and we've used it in rally situations" ever since, Szynal said.

It played Wednesday night right before Joe Crede knocked in the game-winning run in the bottom of the ninth.

"We only use it when we need it," Szynal said. "And we've needed it a few times."

Tune helps bridge generations

Back in '59, the "Go-Go White Sox" song sold only a few records and became little more than a faded memory of the last White Sox World Series appearance.

Chicago natives Walter "Lil Wally" Jagiello and the late Al Trace -- once a White Sox minor-leaguer -- wrote the ditty honoring their favorite team.

"I always loved 'em," Jagiello, 75, said Thursday of the Sox. "Al Trace, it was his idea to come up with the song, and Captain Stubby, he sang it."

Captain Stubby was Tom Fouts, who died in 2004 at age 85. The Captain got his nickname because he was short and stout. He also was the voice of the Green Giant's Little Sprout, and his band performed the Roto-Rooter jingle, "Away Go Troubles Down the Drain."

Playing with the Lil Wally Orchestra, they released the Sox fight song single on Jagiello's Drumboy Records and "didn't sell many," Jagiello said.

Now, the tune is so hot, South Side bar owners want it on their jukeboxes, and some fans wish it was on their iPods.

A CD played on repeat at Cullinan's Stadium Club in Beverly on Wednesday night when neighborhood folks packed the bar for the game.

"All the Sox fans, everyone wants to play it," said Cullinan's Stadium Club bartender MaryEllen Shorewood. "The older guys like to hear it."

And the tune is so catchy, younger fans are already singing along.

"It's a piece of music that has a positive, nostalgic feeling," said sports marketing expert Marc Ganis, of Sportscorp Ltd. "Older fans and newer fans are cheering for the same piece of music, and that's quintessential baseball, bridging the generations."

In the mid-1970s, Jack Dreznes, owner of Beverly Records on South Western, bought all the "Go-Go White Sox" 45s he could as a novelty item. "It was a steady seller, but not out of this world," he said.

Once the Sox started playing it at games this year, the records sold out. Dreznes bought the song rights, pays Jagiello royalties and is burning CDs -- 100 at a time. Sox fans can get a copy for 10 bucks a disc.

"I've been a Sox fan all my life; I might have even heard it in 1959," Dreznes said. "There's a lot of interest now. Demand is sky-high."

CDs can be purchased online at www.beverlyrecords.com.

LET'S GO, GO-GO WHITE SOX

Let's go, Go-Go White Sox

We're with you all the way

You're always in there fighting and you do your best

We're glad to have you out here in the middle west

We're gonna root root root root White Sox

And cheer you on to victory

When we're in the stands we'll make those rafters ring

All through the season you will hear us sing

Chicago is proud of you

White Sox

White Sox

Go, go White Sox

Root root root for the White Sox

We'll cheer you on to victory

When we're in the stands we'll make those rafters ring

All through the season you will hear us sing

Chicago is proud of you

White Sox

White Sox

Go, go White Sox

Chicago is proud of you

My kids -7 and 6 - know every word, and we sing it in the car on the way to their school in the mornings. Twice as loud now that it's October. :headbang :gosox3:

Growing up in Beverly and being a vinyl junkie I was a big fan of Beverly Records (they also were a magic shop then). Glad to see Mr. Dreznes is getting legal copies of the song into the hands of fans, and I don't mind seeing him make a little money on it as well. Mom and Pop music stores are almost extinct these days.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 07:32 AM)
My kids -7 and 6 - know every word, and we sing it in the car on the way to their school in the mornings.  Twice as loud now that it's October.  :headbang  :gosox3:

Growing up in Beverly and being a vinyl junkie I was a big fan of Beverly Records (they also were a magic shop then).  Glad to see Mr. Dreznes is getting legal copies of the song into the hands of fans, and I don't mind seeing him make a little money on it as well.  Mom and Pop music stores are almost extinct these days.

My 3 year old daughter knows most of the words. She gets a big smile on her face when I play it.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 08:55 AM)
I have not been able to get that song out of my head for the past 2 weeks. I wake up and it's the 1st thought in my brain. I find myself whistling it at work. I'm obsessed with it.....and I LOVE it.

Amen, me too...I've had this song in one of my jukeboxes for about 3 months now...a fan favorite and always a good way to annoy any Cub fans who come in the bar. And a great way to celebrate a win...or play for a rally. Love that song.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 09:21 AM)
Even with its magic powers, I just don't like the song.

:ph34r:

Leave it to you..

I had hardly ever heard the song in my entire life, in all honesty.

Now I hear it every single day. I'm not sure where, but I am always running across it. Pretty cool. I love, and I mean LOVE this teams sense and pride of history. That is one of the added things I love about this club. Not too many really throw themselves into their history like the Sox do.

At this time, I'd like to thank you all for the kind, heartwarming responses to my opinion of this song.

And once again, MANY THANKS for making Soxtalk a place where we, as Sox fans, can discuss, debate, express our opinions and beliefs, and most importantly, AGREE TO DISAGREE on so many diverse and wide-ranging topics. It's this kind of warm friendly, FAMILY atmosphere that makes soxtalk.com my "go-to site" for all things White Sox AND BEYOND.......

....and in closing, I'd like to add......

:finger :finger :finger :finger :finger :finger :finger :finger :finger

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 08:36 AM)
That was one of the many deafening songs that was sung at the top of everybody's lungs after the game last night.  It is catching and an earworm to say the least.  I have had it in my head ever since.

yeah i had never heard it before this year and lemme tell ya - i love it. the game the other night was amazing when that song was played - everyone going nuts

The song's magical powers ALMOST rival that of the Rally Crede!

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 11:54 AM)
At this time, I'd like to thank you all for the kind, heartwarming responses to my opinion of this song.

And once again, MANY THANKS for making Soxtalk a place where we, as Sox fans, can discuss, debate, express our opinions and beliefs, and most importantly, AGREE TO DISAGREE on so many diverse and wide-ranging topics. It's this kind of warm friendly, FAMILY atmosphere that makes soxtalk.com my "go-to site" for all things White Sox AND BEYOND.......

:finger  :finger  :finger  :finger  :finger  :finger  :finger  :finger  :finger

We just don't want you to be a communist.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 07:55 AM)
I have not been able to get that song out of my head for the past 2 weeks.  I wake up and it's the 1st thought in my brain.  I find myself whistling it at work.  I'm obsessed with it.....and I LOVE it.

Same here...constantly annoying my wife. The kids are into it too and beg me to play it all the time. I am only happy to oblige. :P

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 11:59 AM)
I just don't like that style of music.

It's all pork-pie hats and canes and striped suits to me.

Have The Methadones or Rise Against or Alkaline Trio record Go-Go White Sox and we'll talk.

:)

You're talking to a guy who can listen to Marilyn Manson one minute and the Beatles the next....and this style is not in my repetoire either, but I love the Sox stuff....so its on my list.

So get on the bandwagon. There is no room for individualism in this thread.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 11:04 AM)
You're talking to a guy who can listen to Marilyn Manson one minute and the Beatles the next....and this style is not in my repetoire either, but I love the Sox stuff....so its on my list.

So get on the bandwagon.  There is no room for individualism in this thread.

So if Ashlee Simpson recorded "So Like Totally White Sox Awesome And Stuff" you'd be at the record store PRONTO????

:D

Sorry, maaaaaaan, my musical integrity is EVERYTHING to me, duuuuude. It's like, WHO I AM and whatever........

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 11:54 AM)

:finger  :finger  :finger  :finger  :finger  :finger  :finger  :finger  :finger

If Critic makes a post on Soxtalk, and no one cares, does he really make a post?

I'm with Critic, the song sucks so bad I can only listen to it 10-12 times a day. :ph34r: :gosox2:

Na Na Na Na, Hey, Hey, Hey

I can listen to that all the time. Someone at a local radio station must be a Sox fan or at least from CHicago, he mentioned playing it for all the Sox fans wishing they were at Sox Park.