Early heart troubles for Curry?

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 16, 2005 -> 12:45 AM)
I love tobacco...but once it becomes a threat to any part of my life, I'm giving it up in a second.  If I can't get a girlfriend or a job because of tobacco use, I'm going to stop using tobacco...plain and simple.  If I were ever near getting cancer because of it, I'd drop it in a second.

Does the same principle not hold true here?

No.

Tobacco is a drug that causes addiction.

Some people don't stop even after cancer of the mouth and other areas, several operations, etc. They continue to smoke.

I honestly don't think it's a fair comparison because of how different the two situations are, in my opinion.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 16, 2005 -> 01:49 PM)
If you could know now what will kill you, would you take the test? Many people would not. I can understand him not taking the test. Plus at that point, if he takes the test he loses a freedom and liberty we take for granted, a choice in careers.

I wouldnt want to know everything on the Test and Id give the bulls only permision to look at the heart problem they are looking for.... and when your getting paid that much money maybe you do deserve to lose some of that freedom.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Oct 16, 2005 -> 09:29 AM)
No. 

Tobacco is a drug that causes addiction.

Some people don't stop even after cancer of the mouth and other areas, several operations, etc.  They continue to smoke.

I honestly don't think it's a fair comparison because of how different the two situations are, in my opinion.

Basketball is a sport that is loved so much by some, that is is an addiction.

Some people don't stop playing basketball, full-well knowing it could actually be doing their body harm and could lead to death. Yet they continue to play.

The situations seem very similar to me. There are more people on earth that enjoy tobacco over basketball, tobacco kills exponentially more people than basketball does, basketball is a physical activity while tobacco requires absolutely no physical activity whatsoever...but I see a correlation, atleast between this situation. Eddy Curry can continue to do something he loves, something he is "addicted" to, while risking his life doing it. I can continue to use tobacco, something I love and am addicted to, while risking my life doing it.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 05:01 AM)
Basketball is a sport that is loved so much by some, that is is an addiction.

Some people don't stop playing basketball, full-well knowing it could actually be doing their body harm and could lead to death.  Yet they continue to play.

The situations seem very similar to me.  There are more people on earth that enjoy tobacco over basketball, tobacco kills exponentially more people than basketball does, basketball is a physical activity while tobacco requires absolutely no physical activity whatsoever...but I see a correlation, atleast between this situation.  Eddy Curry can continue to do something he loves, something he is "addicted" to, while risking his life doing it.  I can continue to use tobacco, something I love and am addicted to, while risking my life doing it.

Except if you stop Tobacco all you get is the money you save not wasted on Tobacco... if Curry stops he gets paid 20 million.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 12:04 AM)
Except if you stop Tobacco all you get is the money you save not wasted on Tobacco... if Curry stops he gets paid 20 million.

Which should make it more attractive for Curry.

I will agree that is another difference though. If he then does quit basketball, he can sit on his ass and enjoy the rest of life because he's getting $400,000 for the rest of his life basically...he can do anything he wants for the most part, other than basketball, for the rest of his life. He loses the privelege to pursue what type of career he wants to pursue...but he also gains the right to not have to do anything at all.

Playing professional basketball is considered a good thing that people strive for because of the money and prestige that comes with it.

Smoking is considered a negative activity that is bad for your health and is essentially looked down upon.

The health risk of prolonged smoking is probably higher than the risk that Eddy is taking as long as he is medically cleared and fit to play.

Again, I don't think it's a valid comparison.