Location, location, location

southsider2k5

I know a while back (last year sometime I believe) I started a thread to see where people were from on Soxtalk. It was interesting to see from how far around the country and world that had people become Sox fans.

I think last time we asked this, we covered about 30 states and about half a dozen countries around the world. But I think we have added about 1000 new members since then, and I am curious how much more coverage we have now.

If you would like, please share where you live, and if it is a long way away from Chicago, what made you a Sox fan, and what brought you to Soxtalk.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As it says to the left. Pasadena. Currently 3 blocks from the Rose Parade.

I'm actually a transplant out here...grew up in Portage, IN (cough cough gasp wheeze cough cough cough cough cough cough wheeze). Out here for Grad school @ Caltech. Geology.

Frighteningly, I'm pretty sure my first baseball game ever was a Cubs game. Somehow in 1985 my dad got front row tickets at Wrigley along the 1st base side. While I was there, I reached over the wall to try to get a foul ball but missed the thing, and one of the Cubs players gave me the ball (I was happy.) I'm pretty sure it was Sandberg too.

So I basically started off as a Cubs fan, but after say 1989, my dad started taking me to a bunch of Sox games, because they were closer, cheaper, and a better team at the time. That's right about the time I actually started paying attention to baseball anyway...before that I never really did, except for wasting a few afternoons in 89. By the time the new park opened I believe I was a Sox fan. Something tells me Frank Thomas also helped along the way.

Right now: Rogers Park, Chicago @ Loyola University Chicago

Normally: Iowa City, Iowa

Where I originally became a sox fan: Hillsborough, New Jersey (amidst all the yankees fans)

became a sox fan cuz... well... no f***ing clue. actually i think it's cuz my little league team 'the white sox' won our "world series" in the league.

Irvine, California

Lived in Southern California my whole life. Can't really say why I became a Sox fan. I originally started as both a Sox and Cub fan. I was able to get the games on WGN and just started watching. Slowly over time I started following the Sox more and more. I remember Black Jack and Robin being my 2 favorite players during the early 90's (along with the big hurt). Now I am only a Sox fan, don't care about the cubs (don't hate em either) and than the Angels come 2nd.

Why the Sox and Chicago teams..I've always loved the city and my mom grew up there so when I was really young I would hear stories of the place. Than we visited it and I got to go to a Sox game (my 1st one in chicago) when I was 10 or 11 and I totally fell in love with the city.

Been a fan since I was about 6, but I obviously wouldn't have known much about the game at that point.

I'm trying to figure out how to move my martian ass.

Edit: bwahahaha, I have admin powers - so if someone messes up their mark, let me now and I'll erase it.

BTW - this program kicks ass. It goes all the way to street level. :)

Edited by kapkomet

placed mine.

I'm from NJ, even though my family is all born in the Mid-West. My dad is from Chicago, and was raised as a Sox and Cubs fan, so he raised me as one as well :) He moved out to Jersey with my mom and two brothers for a job, and hasnt left it.

When I go to college (next year), it'll be in the mid-west. I'm hopefully going to Minnesota, but if I dont get in, I'm applying to the University of Illinois: Chicago.

I dont hate the Cubs, and if its a national league game, I'll root for them. Head to head between the Sox and Cubs though, I'm all for the Sox :)

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 03:11 PM)
placed mine.

I'm from NJ, even though my family is all born in the Mid-West.  My dad is from Chicago, and was raised as a Sox and Cubs fan, so he raised me as one as well :)  He moved out to Jersey with my mom and two brothers for a job, and hasnt left it.

When I go to college (next year), it'll be in the mid-west.  I'm hopefully going to Minnesota, but if I dont get in, I'm applying to the University of Illinois: Chicago. 

I dont hate the Cubs, and if its a national league game, I'll root for them.  Head to head between the Sox and Cubs though, I'm all for the Sox :)

dude we're like twins!

i'm originally from jersey too then moved to the midwest... freaky

I live in South Minneapolis and I have lived here ever since I went to the U of MN many years ago.

My family moved to Chicago (Hinsdale, actually) when I was 9. I had already been to baseball games in 3 parks (Fenway, Yankee, Memorial in Baltimore), but I was too young to attach myself to any team. My first game in Comiskey was in 1973 and I went as often as possible over the years.

I've been to the Cell a few times, but get to as many Sox games as possible under the Teflon Bubble.

Upstate New York represent!

I also lived in Northfield, MN for 4 years as an undergraduate. And I consider MN to be my spiritual home. :D

However, I grew up in the Western (possibly southwestern) suburbs.

Bridgeport for the first couple of years of my life.

Brighton Park 'til I was about 10.

Now Gage Park with a couple of years of Tallahassee in between while I attended FSU. I transferred back home and go to DePaul.

So, basically my entire life up until now on the South Side. :gosox3:

I wouldn't be against moving once I get into my career, though.

Born and raised in the southside of Chicago. Lived on 32nd on Western. I used to go to almost every Saturday night game at the Cell, but since I've been here in Gary it hasn't been the same. I've been living here for almost 4 years.

Added mine, right down to street level. But damn I miss spelt both the message and my name! Can it be fixed? Started following the White Sox because my inlaws live near Bristol VA and everytime we go to visit (20 years now) I always take in some Bristol Sox games.

Edited by DePloderer

I've got South Side roots dating back to my grandparents.

My entire has been fans since we were all born. We we all get together, its dinner conversation fodder.

As for myself, I was raised in Western Springs, Illinois. Now, the wife and I reside in comfy Rolling Meadows in our comfy condo. Don't know where it is? Look at my alien looking friend on the map. I got as close as I could.

:gosox1:

Edited by robinventura23

Michigan City, IN 1977-1994

Berlin, Germany 1994-1995

Michigan City, IN 1995

Westerville, OH 1995-1999

Michigan City, IN 1999

Lawrence, KS 1999

Michigan City, IN 1999-2000

East Lansing, MI 2000-2003

A Blue Backpack in Europe 2003

Big Rapids, MI 2003-2004