Ultimate Rally Song

Texsox

With all do respect to Go Go White Sox, nothing compares to Steam's Na Na Na Na Hey Hey Hey Goodbye. I have so many great memories of the late 70s and singing with Nancy. Didn't even mind occassionaly spilling a beer (never my own) while screaming the lyrics.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 01:12 PM)
With all do respect to Go Go White Sox, nothing compares to Steam's Na Na Na Na Hey Hey Hey Goodbye. I have so many great memories of the late 70s and singing with Nancy. Didn't even mind occassionaly spilling a beer (never my own) while screaming the lyrics.

I got that in my jukebox bar too.

yeah... i guess... but my favorite as of two days ago is Holding Out for a Hero. it just gets everyone so pumped up.

plus a couple posters on soxtalk started doing that in game threads even before it was played at the park - freakin cool

but yes, the na na goodbye song f***ing rocks as well

QUOTE(Reddy @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)
yeah... i guess... but my favorite as of two days ago is Holding Out for a Hero.  it just gets everyone so pumped up.

plus a couple posters on soxtalk started doing that in game threads even before it was played at the park - freakin cool

Did you see the guy on the jumbo tron running in place super fast to that song. I loved it. He really got the crowd going.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)

Remember the way channel 44 used to let the crowd sing without interruption from Harry and Jimmy - so brilliant.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 01:20 PM)
Did you see the guy on the jumbo tron running in place super fast to that song.  I loved it.  He really got the crowd going.

i did it was f***in hilarious. i even started doing it in my seat alllll the way at the top of the upper deck!

Couch: Chicago's greatest anthem won't go away

Paul Leka was sitting at his piano, 3 in the morning, in a bit of a panic. A record company had taken interest in a few of his songs. Recording was the next day, and he still needed another song for the ''B'' side, the back side, of those little 45s that used to spin around. He had no idea what to do, so he started fishing through a cardboard box he kept of old songs and pieces of songs he had written and tossed aside through the years. He gave one a shot.

Anything. B-side doesn't matter anyway. But he had written a handful of words, and wanted to push this thing to five whole minutes. No time to come up with words.

''The song was a cha-cha,'' he said Monday, remembering. ''I changed the tempo. And when you're writing a song that doesn't have a lyric, you sing shooby-dooby do, or sha la la, or something.''

He tried na-na. But he needed a lot of that.

''Na, na, na, na. Na, na, na, na.'' And then two guys in the band will yell ''Hey, he-ey, goodbye.'' And they'll do it over and over. And over.

And over. That's how the na-na, hey-hey song was born in 1969. Eight years later, it would become Chicago's greatest sports anthem, ten steps ahead of ''Here Come the Hawks,'' and much less dated than ''Bear Down,'' about the T-formation.

They're still playing it now, and will do it tonight in Game 1 of the AL Championship Series at Sox Park. This is a little disturbing, as that song always has been moving to me, connected to the South Side Hitmen of 1977, and then to winning Chicago sports teams in general, which were a rarity.

They're playing our song

That na-na always seemed to mean something deep, something about Chicago. Instead, it was the 1960s version of yada, yada. Exactly how was I moved by a song whose most inspirational lyrics were there for the purpose of filling dead space?

It's like singing a Christmas carol and you can't remember the words.

Good King Wenceslas looked out on the na na hey hey.

Goodbye.

This song came to us by accident in every way. Apparently, it became a hit in England at soccer games. Leka said he went into the office one day and was told ''You have a hit.'' He said, ''I do? What?''

That na-na, hey, he-ey thing. ''You're kidding.''

The song would hit No. 1 on the charts in the U.S. in 1969 for Leka's band, Steam. Actually, Steam didn't exist, either. They just made that name up at the last minute to go with the song when they saw an open manhole with steam blowing out.

What if they had been in a lampshade store all day? Listen to the Lampshades singing ''Shooby-dooby-do?''

''We were supposed to replace those na-nas with a lyric,'' said Leka, who also wrote ''Green Tambourine.'' ''But it was 3 o'clock in the morning, so we said, 'Just leave it. It's B-side. Nobody cares.'

''Na, na, na, na. Na, na, na, na could have been ''Yes I love you. Hon-ey ba-bay.''

Just stop. The Sox knock some superstud pitcher out of the game, and the fans could not chant him down, heckle him and dance on his grave by singing that. Honey baby?

In 1977, that song came to the Sox, and owner Bill Veeck and his son, marketing guy Mike Veeck, recognized its potential.

''No, it came to us by accident,'' Mike Veeck said. ''It came from a pub on the Southwest Side. A group of guys were singing it at the pub, and they came out on a bus and requested it. They wanted us to play it. We asked [organist] Nancy Faust to play it.

''It caught on. I called Paul Leka and said, 'You've got to put the band Steam back together, and play that here.' He just laughed. Then, he put together a fake band, called it Steam and came out.''

Kiss them goodbye

The shelf life for Steam -- Leka, Gary DeCarlo and Dale Frashuer -- wasn't long. They didn't have any songs to play, which made it interesting when there was a call to put out an album with the Na-Na thing. Faust probably has played that song more than anyone, including, certainly, Steam.

Imagine this. At that time, we were filled with songs about love and peace, and then, also, na-na. At least with ''Hen-ry the eighth I am,'' the guy couldn't think of anything else to say and just said, "Second verse, same as the first,'' and repeated it.

There are two verses with actual lyrics, if you've never heard it outside a stadium.

''He'll never love you, the way that I love you, 'Cause if he did, no, no he wouldn't make you cry.''

The song tells the woman to dump the other guy, kiss him goodbye, and na-na.

If I counted right, there are 234 words in that song, and 79 of them are ''na,'' 22 are ''hey'' and 13 are ''goodbye.''

Every one of them straight from the heart.

NA NA HEY HEY (KISS HIM GOODBYE)

Lyrics written by Gary DeCarlo, Dale Frashuer and Paul Leka:

Na, na, na, na

Na, na, na, na, hey, hey-ey, goodbye

He'll never love you, the way that I love you

'Cause if he did, no, no he wouldn't make you cry

He might be thrillin' baby but a-my love

(My love, my love)

So dog-gone willin', so kiss him

(I wanna see you kiss him)

(Wanna see you kiss him)

Go on and kiss him goodbye, now

CHORUS

Na, na, na, na

Listen to me now

He's never near you to comfort and cheer you

When all those sad tears are fallin' baby, from your eyes

He might be thrillin' baby, but a-my love

(My love, my love)

So dog-gone willin', so kiss him

Go on and kiss him goodbye

Na, na, na, na, na, na, na

CHORUS

Na, na, na, na

Hey hey-ey, goodbye, hey hey-ey, goodbye

Instrumental Interlude

Na, na, na, na

Na, na, na, na

Na, na, na, na

Na, na, na, na

Na, na, na, na

Na, na, na, na

Na, na, na, na, hey, hey-ey, goodbye...

Awesome story, thanks for posting it. I grew up loving to hear the nancy start the organ and then the crowd start singing...it was my favorite experience at old Comiskey...mostlly 'cuz when the crowd sang it it meant something good was happening for the Sox.

However, imagine my surprise when I heard my dad sing it differently..."kiss him goodbye." HUH???

In my naive youth ( 6-7 years old) I thought that was the White Sox song because I never heard it anywhere else and I was puzzled by my pops singing different words to the "White Sox" song.

He had to school me and tell me it's not the White Sox song, it's an oldie but a goodie that they sing at Sox park. I don't care 'cuz to ME it will always be THE WHITE SOX SONG!

:gosoxretro:

QUOTE(Reddy @ Oct 14, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)
yeah... i guess... but my favorite as of two days ago is Holding Out for a Hero.  it just gets everyone so pumped up.

I loved that too, I was laughing hysterically at the guys on the jumbotron running in place to that.

Classic.