Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of wierd things happened/almost happened yesterday and today. Besides the Illinois game, UConn only beat LSU by one, UCLA only beat ASU by one, Oklahoma lost to Nebraska, Maryland lost to Miami, Nova loses to WV, and MSU is getting smoked by Wisconsin (okay, maybe it isn't that weird since WIS is a decent team, but I didn't expect MSU to lay another egg). I guess that is conference play. Pretty much every team in the country is going to end up with a weird loss or two at this rate.

As for my Wildcats, for some reason they've been playing better of late. Ever since that horrendous game against UIC their offensive efficiency has gone up and people besides Vukusic are scoring. Some of their 3-pointers have actually started dropping, and Moore is becoming a decent shooter. They have a good chance to start 3-0 in the Big Ten with Penn State up next before they play some real teams (Wisconsin, Michigan, and Illinois are the next three). Who knows, if they knock off one or two of those teams (which is highly possible if they shoot well), they might be able to steal a tourney berth. I know it's a longshot, but here's hoping. :pray

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 05:19 PM)
IU just won on an off the ball foul with 5.7 to go. What a joke, that team is trash. Chuck up some more 3s and lose to Indiana St. again you clowns. This IU team is going to have some horrid losses this year the way they refuse to run an offense.

#1 shooting team in the country. Two of the best big men in the big ten. I think someones jealous.

QUOTE(HoosierSox @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 08:12 PM)
#1 shooting team in the country. Two of the best big men in the big ten. I think someones jealous.

Actually, Florida owns that title by .3 now. :crying

Field-Goal Shooting

1. Florida 53.3

2. Indiana 53.0

However, we still have the best 3-point shooting percentage. :)

3-Point Shooting

1. Indiana 47.7

2. UC Irvine 43.4

So what have we learned today class? The ACC is Duke and the midgets again this year, you have Duke at the top, and Virginia at the bottom, and everyone else trying to screw up the least to take home 2nd place. Damn you Sean Dockery, I'll never get over that shot. I know, it's sad.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 09:15 PM)
So what have we learned today class? The ACC is Duke and the midgets again this year, you have Duke at the top, and Virginia at the bottom, and everyone else trying to screw up the least to take home 2nd place. Damn you Sean Dockery, I'll never get over that shot. I know, it's sad.

:)

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 10:01 PM)
I have officially concluded that there is not a single really good team in college hoops.  Duke is above average, UConn might be, and after that is a pile of good teams fighting for position.

College Basketball is WAY down from last year, it's pretty incredible.

You were the one who said UCONN was by far the best team in college basketball, right? :P

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 05:04 PM)
that really sucks, maybe they rushed him back too quickly.

yeah. it's too bad. you hate to see that happen to a player. i'm not sure, but hopefully there will be some chance for a medical redshirt for him.

OW...Not what I wanted to hear at the beginning of the spring semester. I haven't heard this yet, but I wouldn't be surprised. That's a huge blow for IU, but I guess a positive is that we've really done everything so far without DJ. IU can certainly over come this, but it doesn't make things easier.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 11:11 AM)
yeah. it's too bad. you hate to see that happen to a player. i'm not sure, but hopefully there will be some chance for a medical redshirt for him.

I'm pretty sure they should be able to medical redshirt him. I remember Andy Krupalia for Illinois about 4 years ago played like 5 or 6 games and then medically redshirted. I think the max games might be 8 to 10.

Or im talking out my ass... who knows, it's Monday. :drink

QUOTE(Elcaballo45 @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 12:10 PM)
I'm pretty sure they should be able to medical redshirt him.  I remember Andy Krupalia for Illinois about 4 years ago played like 5 or 6 games and then medically redshirted.  I think the max games might be 8 to 10.

Or im talking out my ass... who knows, it's Monday. :drink

He won't stay all 4 or 5 years, so who cares??

f***...It's on IU's site now. Apparently it's a totally different injury; hopefully it's one that can heal quicker.

http://iuhoosiers.collegesports.com/sports.../010906aaa.html

D.J. White Injures Left Foot

Jan. 9, 2006

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - Indiana sophomore forward D.J. White injured his left foot against Ohio State and is out indefinitely, Indiana head coach Mike Davis announced on Jan. 9. While the injury is on the same foot he broke earlier this season, it is at a different location. The injury occurred during the second half of the Jan. 7 Ohio State game, when White was knocked to the floor and another player accidentally stepped on his foot while he was down.

White suffered a broken foot in the Hoosiers' Nov. 4 exhibition opener against St. Joseph's. He was sidelined until IU's Dec. 19 contest at Charlotte. In the five games he played this season, White averaged 9.2 points, 6.0 rebounds and 1.4 blocks per contest. While White's absence hampers Indiana's depth, Davis feels this year's team has the talent to overcome such injuries.

"It is really disappointing, because D.J.'s previous injury had healed, and he was really coming on strong," Davis said. "This is a totally different situation than his previous injury, and it is unfortunate for any player to have to suffer two separate yet significant injuries through the course of the season.

"At the same time, our team has got to fill in for his absence," Davis continued. "We have the depth and talent inside to help fill his void. Sean Kline and Ben Allen have both played well throughout the early part of the season, and they are going to have to step up their game in his absence. Marco Killingsworth will also have a larger load to carry, but he has the talent to do so."

White also feels confident when it comes to filling the void inside.

"I am disappointed about the injury, but I think we have the type of team that rallies around these kind of things," White said. "We have several players who can step up inside with Marco, Ben, Sean and even Robert (Vaden). It will be hard watching from the bench again, but I am going to support my teammates and help in any way I am able to help."

White was the Hoosiers' top returning scorer and rebounder from a season ago. The 6-9, 242-pound forward averaged 13.3 points and 4.9 rebounds per contest in his rookie campaign. He was named the Big Ten Freshman of the Year in 2004-05, leading conference freshmen in scoring, field goal percentage and blocked shots.

Week 10 ESPN/USA Today Poll

1. Duke (31) 14-0 775

2. Florida 14-0 739

3. Villanova 10-1 672

4. Connecticut 12-1 662

5. Memphis 13-2 653

6. Illinois 15-1 604

7. Gonzaga 11-3 556

8. Indiana 10-2 499

9. Texas 12-2 490

10. Louisville 12-2 463

11. Pittsburgh 12-0 404

12. UCLA 13-2 396

13. Washington 12-2 356

14. Boston College 11-3 309

15. Michigan State 12-4 287

16. Ohio State 11-1 275

17. Wisconsin 12-2 256

18. N.C. State 12-2 251

19. George Washington 10-1 218

20. North Carolina 9-2 192

21. Maryland 11-3 174

22. Oklahoma 9-3 173

23. West Virginia 10-3 131

24. Syracuse 13-2 96

25. Arizona 10-4 77

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES

Cincinnati 58, Air Force 46, Tennessee 46, Iowa 36, Wake Forest 34,

Colorado 27, Michigan 23, Kentucky 20, Northern Iowa 18, Texas A&M 9,

Bucknell 8, Nevada 7, Xavier 7, Vanderbilt 6, Notre Dame 5, Kansas 4,

Washington State 4, Buffalo 3, Arkansas 2, Florida State 2, Iowa State 2.