Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Pierzynski 12 @ Jan 14, 2006 -> 09:05 PM)
Wow 1 loss.So amazing.

So 1 win against a good team doesnt matter but one close call against a mediocre team means the world. I'm officially lost.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 14, 2006 -> 04:15 PM)
Watching Duke, they have a very very good team.  BUT....if they run into somebody like a UConn with big, athletic guards and a big front line, they will lose.  Duke is way too slow and small at the guard spot defensively, and somebody that can exploit that while getting McRoberts and Williams on their heels (and into foul trouble) due to front line depth will beat them IMO.  But another BUT......there aren't very many very good teams in college hoops this year (if any) so Duke might win it all anyways.

Another issue could be if they face a deep team, because Duke doesn't have a whole lot of major contributors. It's a little early to worry about stuff like that (who knows what will happen between now and then), but I can think of 5 teams that could make it interesting if they meet Duke late in the NCAA tournament (yes, I know two of these are re-matches).

Connecticut- Obvious reasons. Very atheltic, deep, big, probably the most talented team in the league. They could peak in early March like the 2004 team and just dominate.

Memphis- Gave Duke one of their toughest games. They need to mature a bit, which might reduce their silly turnovers and poor shot selection. They are obviously very deep and very athletic, although their big guys aren't all that special. Very tough team, but they are vulnerable because they play a little sloppy and rely on the 3 a lot.

Florida- Again, they're young, but they strike me as a very balanced team. Brewer and Horford are future lottery picks, Noah gives them another solid but not spectacular big man, and Green is a pretty solid PG.

Michigan State- Last team to beat Duke. They're not as deep, but some of the ingredients are still there. Ager and Brown are both supremely athletic, and Davis can dominate inside when he wants to. However, it might take a perfect game this year.

Texas- Yeah, I know, Duke blew them out. However, there are two major things to consider: Buckman played only 7 minutes. He's a very important player that suddenly has an injury bug that he needs to shake (his most recent one doesn't look that bad); and Redick had the game of his life. The game was also played in New Jersey and seemed to be a virtual home game for Duke. These factors may not all be the same if it happens again. Texas can certainly make life miserable for anyone in the paint with their potent trio, Gibson is always dangerous, and Paulino seems to be playing better as the year goes on. Texas isn't very deep, but their starting 5 is definitely championship quality.

If you add Villanova and Louisville to the list, those also happen to be the only teams that I think have a solid chance of winning it all (obviously a lot of things have to go right for Louisville, but I like Palacios, Padgett, Dean, and Jenkins). Before one of you says: "What about the Illini?", I don't see them being able to win 6 in a row against quality opponents on a neutral or near neutral floor unless their offense drastically improves.

QUOTE(Pierzynski 12 @ Jan 14, 2006 -> 07:03 PM)
If i find it funny that Iowa could only beat Penn St by 4 then so be it..........

Go pay attention to your Illini. Leave all Iowa bashing to Heads cause you don't deserve to bash Iowa, especially after a win.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jan 14, 2006 -> 11:29 PM)
Another issue could be if they face a deep team, because Duke doesn't have a whole lot of major contributors. It's a little early to worry about stuff like that (who knows what will happen between now and then), but I can think of 5 teams that could make it interesting if they meet Duke late in the NCAA tournament (yes, I know two of these are re-matches).

Connecticut- Obvious reasons. Very atheltic, deep, big, probably the most talented team in the league. They could peak in early March like the 2004 team and just dominate.

Memphis- Gave Duke one of their toughest games. They need to mature a bit, which might reduce their silly turnovers and poor shot selection. They are obviously very deep and very athletic, although their big guys aren't all that special. Very tough team, but they are vulnerable because they play a little sloppy and rely on the 3 a lot.

Florida- Again, they're young, but they strike me as a very balanced team. Brewer and Horford are future lottery picks, Noah gives them another solid but not spectacular big man, and Green is a pretty solid PG.

Michigan State- Last team to beat Duke. They're not as deep, but some of the ingredients are still there. Ager and Brown are both supremely athletic, and Davis can dominate inside when he wants to. However, it might take a perfect game this year.

Texas- Yeah, I know, Duke blew them out. However, there are two major things to consider: Buckman played only 7 minutes. He's a very important player that suddenly has an injury bug that he needs to shake (his most recent one doesn't look that bad); and Redick had the game of his life. The game was also played in New Jersey and seemed to be a virtual home game for Duke. These factors may not all be the same if it happens again. Texas can certainly make life miserable for anyone in the paint with their potent trio, Gibson is always dangerous, and Paulino seems to be playing better as the year goes on. Texas isn't very deep, but their starting 5 is definitely championship quality.

If you add Villanova and Louisville to the list, those also happen to be the only teams that I think have a solid chance of winning it all (obviously a lot of things have to go right for Louisville, but I like Palacios, Padgett, Dean, and Jenkins). Before one of you says: "What about the Illini?", I don't see them being able to win 6 in a row against quality opponents on a neutral or near neutral floor unless their offense drastically improves.

The thing about Texas is their guards are overrated ballhogs who never want to feed the rock to Lamarcus Aldridge who is their best player and scorer. He'll be open downlow, their guards will take a look at him(like Tucker and Gibson) and then they'll either pass away from him or jack up a 3. Their coach doesn't seem to mind either. For that reason alone, I don't think Texas could beat Duke.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 15, 2006 -> 02:15 PM)
Aaron Grey and Carl Krauser are right there with Williams/Redick and Augustine/Brown in the category of best "inside/outside" duo in the nation.

Agreed, Pitt is a team that's getting no respect it seems, even though it was very hard fought they impressed the hell out of me against Depaul, they know how to close out games.