Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 10:29 PM)
Definitely a game of runs.  We always start slow, but that was just ugly.  It looked like you guys were just going to rout us in our own building.  Then, we started to hit the trey ball.

Wilmont was definitely huge, and he was able to get us up to that 15 point lead.  And Killingsworth finally got things working in the 2nd half.  Yes, he's had some cheap shots the past couple games.  I acknowledge that, but they haven't affected the outcome of the game.

The best thing IU did tonight was rebound though.  If they can do that against a bigger Illinois, there's no reason we shouldn't be doing that every night.  We've been getting out rebounded badly all season.  It was nice to see us finally limit second chance points, and have some second chance opportunities of our own.

We needed this though, if we're going to do anything in the Big Ten.  You have to protect home court, and we survived. 

And for the record, I did NOT rush the court, though I had a great seat and could have.  :P

Had you rushed the court, you would have been subject to prolonged ridicule from me. :P

Good post though and I agree with mostly everything.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 10:45 PM)
Louisville down 10 with under 8 to go.

Not surprising, Taquan Dean is not playing and well, quite frankly, I truly believe that U of L may not even make the tourney.

Reason being, I think they go .500 or less in the Big East and their non-conference schedule was so horrid that they really have no signature win. Getting blown out by Kentucky didn't help either.

Clearly the most overrated team in the land.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 09:48 PM)
Not surprising, Taquan Dean is not playing and well, quite frankly, I truly believe that U of L may not even make the tourney.

Reason being, I think they go .500 or less in the Big East and their non-conference schedule was so horrid that they really have no signature win.  Getting blown out by Kentucky didn't help either.

Clearly the most overrated team in the land.

If St. Johns holds onto this then Louisville falls to 1-3 in conf and is definitely in some trouble. They still have road games at UCONN, Cuse, Nova, Cinci, WVU, and Rutgers, yikes.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 10:52 PM)
If St. Johns holds onto this then Louisville falls to 1-3 in conf and is definitely in some trouble.  They still have road games at UCONN, Cuse, Nova, Cinci, WVU, and Rutgers, yikes.

They also play UConn at home, which will be a loss for sure.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 01:21 AM)
Dee with three after getting ran over...

And both of his feet were squarely planted

FWIW, the rule is if a player is in the air, a defensive player must give him room to come down. He cannot get a charge by being set before he lands. It was an unfortunate call, but it was the correct one. By rule, the foul should have gone to Dee.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 02:19 AM)
Killingworth is a good player but what a thug.  He should have gotten a couple of technicals for his bulls*** tonight.  After calming down that would be my only complaint about the officials.  You have the elbow to Pruitt's face, throwing the ball at Pruitt, and then taunting Dee after a block that was nothing special.  He needs to learn some class.

Dude, relax!

They called an intentional foul on him for the elbow, don't have a clue if they even saw the toss of the ball (I didn't until they showed the replay) and he smiled big at Dee after the "taunt". There was obviously no animosity there.

I don't like the lack of control of his emotions, but calling him a thug is going a bit too far. He got frustrated. He didn't handle things right. So what. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Thoughts...

-- First of all, the game ended up being what I expected in the beginning tight to the end. The only difference was it wasn't tight all the way through, if that makes sense.

-- Like me, IU really relaxed once they got the 15 point lead in the 2nd half. Their intensity dropped which allowed Illinois to get back into the game. Passes got lazy, Marco wasn't working as hard to get post position and more guys were standing around. Not to take anything away from Illinois and their comeback, but that game was over if IU kept their intensity level high. Fortunately, they were able to recover and hold on for the win.

-- Like I said before, IU needed this game more than Illinois did. It could have been devastating if they had lost after leading in the 2nd half as they did.

-- As far as rushing the court... Greasy, did they actually rush the court? When the teams were shaking hands at the end of the game, I sure didn't see a bunch of students running onto the floor. After that, the cameras went away from the floor and when they came back, there were students gathered on the middle of the floor and others joining them, but they seemed to be walking in that direction, not running at full speed. Maybe there is no difference, but I saw it more of students gathering on the floor after the game. Granted they were celebrating, but I certainly didn't see an onslaught of students rushing to get there. Did I see it wrong Greasy???

All in all, a great game. I look forward to seeing them meet again. It looks as if in the Big Ten, whichever of the top four teams can sneak a win or two on the other's home floor will determine the champion. Of course, Wisconsin doesn't have to do that if they hold serve at home.

Eh, it's almost all the same in my book.

Here's a pic my friend already has up of what it looked like. Not everyone got into the action.

n6801769_30605261_8607.jpg

The only way I can defend it is that the game wasn't a blowout. If the game continued the way it did with us up 15, I don't think anyone rushes. The game got unexpectedly close and intense at the end, and I think that's what caused it.

The Illini actually got some good games from people other than Dee. Augustine was better than I thought he would be, and Randle and Pruitt were both pretty solid. If they can consistently get some contributions from those last two I think there's some hope for this team. They've still got to get either McBride or Smith going as a consistent shooter though. That'll really hurt them in the long run if the streaky Brown is their only major outside threat. Still, Indiana was able to get a win against them without playing a particularly good game. They basically just had Wilmont and Killingsworth playing well with very little contribution from Vaden or Strickland. Neither team played an inspired game, but both put on a decent performance without being on top of their game. The rematch in Champaign should be interesting. Dee seems to come up with his big games at home, but maybe Vaden or Strickland has a better night also. Plus until they do it somewhat frequently I'm not expecting much from Randle or Pruitt.

I'd love to see DJ White back for that one, but that's pushing it. He was supposed to have seen Dr. Andrews this past weekend, but that isn't possible. Dr. Andrews had a heart attack recently, so he must have seen Dr. Lemak or one of his associates.

My best guess is toward the end of February is a best case scenario for his return. Hopefully, he will get back in time to fully integrate him into the team before the NCAA Tournament.

Obviously Dee needs to shot or the Illini can't win, but at the same time it was a good sign to see others step up and the team continue to fight and come back in a tough environment against a tough team. I know it sounds silly, but after watching the tape, I think overall progress was made tonight, even in defeat.

However there was good tonight. The reason I came home and watched the tape of the Illini game is I was at The Convo Center as NIU dispatched of MAC favorite and defending champs Ohio (who was 10-2, 4-0) 64-59. The Huskies are now 9-5 (4-2) and in GREAT position to win the MAC West as (a) most of the beef of the schedule is passed and (B) the MAC West other than us BLOWS. Be nice too, winning the division would mean the #2 seed in the league tournament and gives us a decent shot at winning the thing.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(farmteam @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 09:10 PM)
Yeah, I was wondering abouy the rushing the floor thing.

They must be Sox fans with tattoos

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 09:16 PM)
im laughing pretty hard at all the Illini fans wondering about the floor rush.. dear Illinois........

you suck

I'm going to remember this when 2/19/06 rolls around.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 01:40 AM)
I didn't get a chance to see the game.  How did Pruitt look tonight anyone?  I see he had a nice stat line.  I've been calling for him to get more touches.

He dunked alot, thats about it. He did get good position on rebounds though.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 01:40 AM)
I didn't get a chance to see the game.  How did Pruitt look tonight anyone?  I see he had a nice stat line.  I've been calling for him to get more touches.

He actually looked really good, he was playing physical with Marco, which caused Marco to elbow him and throw the ball at him. He controlled him in the first half.

On offense, he was more aggressive, attacked the bucket, and was hitting his shots. Yeah he had some dunks, but this was something from Pruitt we haven't seen to date. It was quite a thing to watch, and quite an effort wasted.

All you really need to know about why we lost this game:

ILL free throws: 8-16

ILL 3 pointers: 2-14

Dee brown: 1-9

Rich Mcbride: 2-7

Rebounds: ILL 31, IU 39

A small change to any of those numbers and we probably have a W. Frustrating. But seriously, this team needs to shoot some damn free throws if they want to win games. It's really pissing me off.