Official College Basketball Thread

How is it being a homer to say if Wisconsin wins they are in a great position to win the Big 10 and get their highest seed ever?

I dont believe Wisconsin has in the last 10 years ever had above a 3 or a 4 seed, and this year they have a good chance to get a 2 seed for the first time ever.

As for winning the Big 10, if Wisconsin wins their home games, and goes 1-2 on the road versus OSU, Iowa, and MSU, they win the Big 10 title.

How is that not a good position, considering Wisconsin has only lost 1 Big 10 game at home since moving to the Kohl center, and that game was to undefeated Illinois?

Wisconsin is a good team, they have a favorable schedule, and other teams have already had some losses.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every game on the road is a touch match up.

Im not that familiar with OSU, but teams that give Wisconsin the biggest problem are quick deep teams who can press the entire floor.

For whatever reason Wisconsin is just not that good at handling the ball in the back court, and when you watch them play Minnesota the last few years, you just cringe when you see the press come out.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 04:39 PM)
Every game on the road is a touch match up.

Im not that familiar with OSU, but teams that give Wisconsin the biggest problem are quick deep teams who can press the entire floor.

For whatever reason Wisconsin is just not that good at handling the ball in the back court, and when you watch them play Minnesota the last few years, you just cringe when you see the press come out.

OSU actually brings the ball up pretty slowly. Young PG who likes to spread the floor. Our biggest strength is both the 3 and the down low game with Dials. Sylvester creates match up problems and gets off tough shots. It should be a pretty good game.

Edited by RockRaines

I mean press defense, I expect OSU to use it even if they have not shown it in any game. Even Northwestern tried it for a few minutes because if you watch enough Wisconsin tape it is just puzzeling how bad they are against the press. They honestly just dont know what they are doing, panic, and then throw it away, or do something crazy.

Wisconsin strength is half court game and inside outside game. Usually defend the perimeter and paint well, but give up the mid range jumper.

If Butch starts to put up 10+ pts 5+ reb per game to go alon with Tucker and Taylor Wisconsin should be in pretty good shape.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 04:47 PM)
I mean press defense, I expect OSU to use it even if they have not shown it in any game. Even Northwestern tried it for a few minutes because if you watch enough Wisconsin tape it is just puzzeling how bad they are against the press. They honestly just dont know what they are doing, panic, and then throw it away, or do something crazy.

Wisconsin strength is half court game and inside outside game. Usually defend the perimeter and paint well, but give up the mid range jumper.

If Butch starts to put up 10+ pts 5+ reb per game to go alon with Tucker and Taylor Wisconsin should be in pretty good shape.

Oh, I read your post wrong. Im sure Thad will have them adjusting their defense. One thing he has brought to the program is some good defensive sets. They showed some great patience and ability to adapt against MSU this weekend. I fully expect a pretty good game.

Wisconsin is clearly in good shape with the way things have gone so far, and it helps that the other two favorites (Michigan State and Illinois) have already lost two games already. There are still several teams that can still win it however. MSU might be the best team, but they still have some tough games left (at Indiana, Wisconsin and Illinois at home for their last three games, plus they still play Michigan and Iowa twice). Illinois is still a threat, but they have to play better on the road with trips to MSU, Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Michigan remaining. Ohio State might have a shot since they have a relatively easy road left (trips to Iowa, MSU and Wisconsin, home against Illini, two with Michigan), but it will be a lot harder if they lose tonight. I still like Michigan's team, but it would be really hard for them to win it since they already lost twice and have 8 games left against ranked teams. Iowa and Indiana are in similar spots with 7 and 5 left respectively, plus Indiana gets a visit from UConn for good measure. In the end Wisconsin has the inside track because they haven't lost yet, and have probably the best schedule (trips to MSU, Michigan and Iowa, home against Illinois, OSU and Indiana). They have to start losing a few for these other teams to have a good chance at catching up, especially considering that several of the top teams only play them once from here on out.

You know, I always love watching the rounds of 64 and 32 in the years when the Big Ten is actually good...the Big Ten teams are always so good that they beat the living hell out of each other and all wind up ranked lower than they should be, and then they come out and start stomping people.

I just hope IU doesn't wind up as a 5 seed this year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 06:31 PM)
You know, I always love watching the rounds of 64 and 32 in the years when the Big Ten is actually good...the Big Ten teams are always so good that they beat the living hell out of each other and all wind up ranked lower than they should be, and then they come out and start stomping people.

I just hope IU doesn't wind up as a 5 seed this year.

Bracketology has us as a #4 before last night. And I know #5 is a prime upset seed, but FWIW, IU was a #5 in 2002. So it's not an impossible spot.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 03:40 PM)
Bracketology has us as a #4 before last night.  And I know #5 is a prime upset seed, but FWIW, IU was a #5 in 2002.  So it's not an impossible spot.

They got the Hawks pretty low still, kind of surprising consider our RPI. Iowa still has to prove they won't just take a s*** in the big 10 like they normally do. If they can defend home court and do a decent job on the road they'd be in business, but i think they got to prove it to the experts.

Gotta get a win today against Minnesota and than they can look at a huge game against MSU on Saturday. 1st, beat the Golden Gophers tonight.

Dukies losing at half to N.C. State 34-33. I really like the way the Wolfpack play. They don't have any superstarts, but they are team oritented, give 100% on both ends and have great coaching. That is a team you root for, and it doesn't hurt that they are playing Duke.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 04:52 PM)
Dukies losing at half to N.C. State 34-33.  I really like the way the Wolfpack play.  They don't have any superstarts, but they are team oritented, give 100% on both ends and have great coaching.  That is a team you root for, and it doesn't hurt that they are playing Duke.

Simmons had a monstrous game and they did a good job tying down Reddick, but Sheldon Williams and the rest of the Dukies were able to step it up. Real fun game to watch and I agree that NC State will be a dangerous team come tourney time.

They are strong defensively and Simmons can be a beast inside (strong on the boards and a ridiculous shot blocker).

Hell the more I look at Iowa's schedule the more I can't figure out how we aren't ranked higher. Our losses are to Texas, Northern Iowa (supposedly the best team in its conference), ISU (solid team and we didn't have Horner) and Wiscy (in Wiscy where we fell apart after having a lead for most of the 1st half).

We have wins against NCState, Kentucky (well that doesnt' say much anymore), and The Illini. Of course if they can step up their game in the Big 10 they will eventually get some credit.

Hell, I'm buying into the Wiscy possibly being the best team in the big 10 and they get zero love in the polls.