Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 06:14 AM)
All the fans here are getting fed up with Pat Knight. He's going to be taking over the program when Bob leaves, yet he's been on the radio numerous times including tonight whining about not being able to recruit elite recruits. Hey Pat, either go back in time and fix your daddy's temper problems, or shut the f*** up and get out and recruit.

Pardon me while I laugh. I always knew the day would come when the folks at Lubbock would realize that Knight comes with a bunch of baggage and that it would not be utopian with him there. While he has done well there, as the team struggles, it will only get worse. When Bob Knight's world isn't perfect around him, when people start to question him, it can get very ugly. I have no doubt it will be the same with Pat.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 05:28 PM)
Illini with a decent win on the road over Northwestern.  The game wasn't nearly as close as the score would indicate. 

Next up: Minnesota, gotta beat them at home

If the Illini can't beat Minnesota, they should blow up Assembly Hall. The Gophers are terrible.

I really think this week may be the most challenging and important week of the year for the Hoosiers. They are 4-1 in the conference right now, with their only loss their only road game. They go to Iowa Tuesday and Minnesota Sunday.

While Iowa didn't look impressive yesterday, they will be at home and I expect that to be a very difficult game. Minnesota has really struggled this year, but IU has struggled even worse in recent history playing in Williams Arena. They just can't seem to win at Minny so this will be an important game. Minnesota has lost 5 in a row and it will likely be 6 as they visit Illinois Wednesday night. IU needs to make sure that streak goes to 7!

IU's schedule is broken up fairly nicely the rest of the season, not having two major games back to back other than UConn (Feb 4) and @Wisconsin (Feb 8), but only one of those is a Big Ten affair. I really believe that this week will determine whether IU has a good chance at winning the Big Ten.

Edited by Rex Hudler

For any IU fans outside the midwest, here is some info on their upcoming games being broadcast on CBS.

Sunday Jan 29 @ Minnesota (noon CT) is being broadcast regionally with the opposing game Arkansas @ Kentucky. This means there is no chance in hell I will be able to see the game, but those outside of the Southeast may.

Saturday February 4 vs. UConn (noon CT) is being broadcast nationally so no worries there!

Sunday February 19 vs. Illinois (2:30 CT) is being broadcast regionally with the opposing game Arizona @ Stanford. Most of the country should see this game. I would guess that the Arizona/Stanford game will be mostly limited to the west coast.

Sunday February 26 vs. Michigan State (noon CT) is being broadcast nationally so no worries there!

The Big Ten wildcard game on Saturday March 4 (noon CT) will be broadcast nationally. It will feature one of three games, which has not yet been determined. The options are: Illinois – Michigan State or Indiana – Michigan or Wisconsin – Iowa.

The thing I really hate about all of this is that NONE of these games are currently scheduled to be broadcast in HDTV!!!

Looking at this schedule really makes me hate the loss of DJ White. Both the Big Ten Tournament and the NCAA Final Four are in Indianapolis this year. I know we aren't dead without him and he MAY return, but it depresses me somewhat to think of the possibilites the way this year has come together.

Edited by Rex Hudler

A few notes for fans of other Big Ten teams outside their viewing areas....

Sunday February 12 Illinois @ Ohio State (noon CT) is being broadcast nationally, but NOT in HDTV.

Saturday February 25 Michigan @ Ohio State (12:30 CT) is being broadcast regionally with the opposing game being Louisville @ West Virginia. Neither is in HDTV.

The semifinals of the Big Ten Tournament on March 11 and the finals on March 12 will be shown nationally in HDTV.

One (non-Big Ten) side note: The Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Championship Game this year will be broadcast nationally by CBS @ 1pm CT on Sunday March 5.

Here is the complete college basketball schedule for CBS for the rest of the season.

College Basketball on CBS

Bobby has been great, he's keeping totally to himself. Pat has decided to put his own voice in the media here now, and it hasn't been going to well.

People here are hoping that with Pat, they will get Bobby's basketball tactic's, and a younger guy that can actually recruit a little without having the temper legacy follow. But all we have seen so far is a whiny brat. Will be interesting to see if the program ever decides to go in a different direction later on if this keeps up.

Just wanted to say that I was at the Georgetown game yesterday and it was SICK. I ran out on the court and we tried to hoist Hibbert but he's 7'2'' so it was kinda awkward. The Big East is dominant. Georgetown ran that backdoor like it was their f***ing job. Biggest win EVER. It's a great time to be a senior at Georgetown. A White Sox World Series, a Bears divisional crown, and a Georgetown upset = sweetest sports season ever.

Hoya Saxa.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 04:52 PM)
Bobby has been great, he's keeping totally to himself. Pat has decided to put his own voice in the media here now, and it hasn't been going to well.

People here are hoping that with Pat, they will get Bobby's basketball tactic's, and a younger guy that can actually recruit a little without having the temper legacy follow. But all we have seen so far is a whiny brat. Will be interesting to see if the program ever decides to go in a different direction later on if this keeps up.

I know Bobby has been great. But he is also surrounded by people who kiss his ass. That ever changes and you will see the true side of Mr. Knight. I have no doubt Pat will be pretty close to exactly the same way, although my guess is the odds are against him being nearly as good a coach.

A couple of comments on Saturday's games...

NU blows big time. Their effort in the first half was just brutal. They finally woke up with about 7 minutes left, but by then it was too late. Vedran had the worst game of his life, and it didn't have all that much to do with the defense. He missed about 5 open 3's when he'd normally make at least two of those even on an off night, he missed about 3 more shots in the paint that he makes every game, and he wasn't getting any foul calls in the post like he normally does. It sounded like he was really pissed after the game.

If I were Weber, I wouldn't be too happy with my team's performance either. They would have been in a dog fight if not for some solid 3-point shooting (McBride actually got in double figures. I rest my case). Two of them were pretty lucky and fluky shots too (Frazier's prayer at the end of the half and Dee's banked 3 from the parking lot as the shot clock wore down). They had virtually no offense in the post even though NU's post defense is horrendous. Augustine probably could have had 40 if they kept giving him the ball, and he finished with 6. That is not going to cut it on the road against real teams, and this isn't exactly a new occurence.

UCLA is another team that people need to stop expecting big things from. Okay, Farmar and Afflalo are great. The rest of the team isn't at the same level however. Mbah a Moute is a decent post player, but he's a little young and not all that consistent. The other players that are actually healthy are somewhat less than inspiring. They just have too many issues this year. They don't have a lot of depth, they only have two scorers, they're not particularly good on the boards, and their outside shooting isn't that good. I can't see them doing much unless Shipp or Bozeman come back earlier than expected. Next year they could be a pretty solid team, but I'd be seriously surprised if they made it past the Sweet 16, if even that far.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 07:50 AM)
A few notes for fans of other Big Ten teams outside their viewing areas....

Sunday February 12 Illinois @ Ohio State (noon CT) is being broadcast nationally, but NOT in HDTV.

Saturday February 25 Michigan @ Ohio State (12:30 CT) is being broadcast regionally with the opposing game being Louisville @ West Virginia.  Neither is in HDTV.

The semifinals of the Big Ten Tournament on March 11 and the finals on March 12 will be shown nationally in HDTV.

One (non-Big Ten) side note:  The Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Championship Game this year will be broadcast nationally by CBS @ 1pm CT on Sunday March 5.

Here is the complete college basketball schedule for CBS for the rest of the season.

College Basketball on CBS

Cripes...is the Iowa/IU game not on TV? Cause it should be. Thats gonna be a really good game.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 08:51 PM)
Shut the f*** up Adam Haluska. Just like you didn't hear the fans at ISU.

Just jealous that he left ISU for Iowa. And yes we did basically beat that team last year. We are capable of beating any team in the Big 10 and almost any team in the country. Doesn't mean we are going to do it.

Iowa isn't some piece of s*** team without any skills. They don't play consistent enough and don't have the offense thats needed but they play very good defense (only weakness defensively is an ocassional flaw in transition defense; still one of the best defensive teams in the big 10, imo).

Of course I think MSU is one of the best teams in the country.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 06:21 AM)
Cripes...is the Iowa/IU game not on TV?  Cause it should be.  Thats gonna be a really good game.

The Indiana @ Iowa game tomorrow night is on ESPN @ 8:00 CT. the games I listed were CBS games only.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 12:23 AM)
Just jealous that he left ISU for Iowa.  And yes we did basically beat that team last year. We are capable of beating any team in the Big 10 and almost any team in the country.  Doesn't mean we are going to do it. 

Iowa isn't some piece of s*** team without any skills.  They don't play consistent enough and don't have the offense thats needed but they play very good defense (only weakness defensively is an ocassional flaw in transition defense; still one of the best defensive teams in the big 10, imo).

Of course I think MSU is one of the best teams in the country.

Just jealous, even though we have Blalock, Stinson and Clark? I'm pretty sure they can keep him.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 11:47 AM)
Umm, how the f*** is wisconsin ranked that high?

NDSU's RPI was not terrible, I believe. They were over .500 coming into the game, and they've done damn well for an independent. Between them and TAMU-CC, the independents are a curious bunch.