Official College Basketball Thread

I believe Louisville is right now a bubble team, as their RPI is in the 80's and their season is quickly going to shambles with Taquan Dean's injury.

Doesn't help that they haven't beaten anybody.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 11:45 AM)
Latest RPI:

http://www.kenpom.com/rpi.php

Top 10:

1 Duke

2 Memphis

3 Villanova

4 Michigan St.

5 Illinois

6 Tennessee

7 Gonzaga

8 Wisconsin

9 Connecticut

10 Pittsburgh

I still have hope for a #1 seed for MSU, if they can get on a pretty good streak.

If they win the Big Ten i'd give them a good shot at a one seed. Obviously depends what other teams do, so we'll see.

Week 12 ESPN/USA Today Poll

1. Connecticut (19) 16-1 751

2. Duke (10) 17-1 748

3. Memphis (1) 17-2 693

4. Florida 17-1 677

5. Texas (1) 16-2 654

6. Villanova 13-2 606

7. Gonzaga 15-3 558

7. Illinois 17-2 558

9. Washington 16-2 479

10. Pittsburgh 15-1 466

11. Indiana 12-3 462

12. Michigan State 15-4 450

13. West Virginia 14-3 420

14. N.C. State 15-3 360

15. George Washington 14-1 337

16. Ohio State 14-2 332

17. UCLA 15-4 225

18. Boston College 14-4 210

19. Maryland 13-4 204

20. Tennessee 12-3 151

21. Wisconsin 14-4 131

22. Oklahoma 11-4 102

23. Louisville 13-5 100

24. Syracuse 15-4 55

25. North Carolina 11-4 49

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES

Michigan 42, Georgetown 38, UAB 37, Xavier 34, Northern Iowa 29,

Colorado 21, LSU 17, Air Force 12, Creighton 11, Bucknell 10,

Cincinnati 9, Arizona 9, Iowa 8, Nevada 4, Kansas 3, Kentucky 2,

Miami 2, Southern Illinois 2, Texas A&M 2, Vanderbilt 1,

Wichita State 1, Manhattan 1, Marquette 1, Akron 1.

It's way too early to be worrying about seeds. About the only ones that appear to be locks are Duke and UConn. The other two one spots and everything below it are very much up for grabs. It should be interesting to see who gets them, because 3 of the major contenders for #1 seeds (Florida, Memphis, and Texas) don't have very strong schedules from here on out, although Memphis had a solid out of conference schedule and Texas also played some teams. Villanova is the only other major contender as I see it, but who knows what happens with them in the Big East. I think someone that is currently a bit under the radar can sneak in because some of the other contenders are a bit lackluster, especially whoever wins the Big Ten.

There are a whole lot of teams out there with between 2 and 5 losses, meaning there isn't very much seperation between the teams. Just look at the Big Ten as an example. MSU, Wisconsin, and Illinois all look like #3 seeds or better right now, and Indiana, OSU, and Michigan might be able to get there if they end up winning the conference (I'm not saying they all will be 3 seeds or better, I'm just saying they could be. These teams still have some chances to put up some pretty solid wins.). There's just too much that is still unknown that has to be played out on the floor.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 11:25 PM)
Put down the bottle  :bang

Note I said almost any team in the country. But the important thing is, once I get off my lazy ass you'll be sporting a sig as evidence that they could take down one of the best teams in the big ten :)

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 03:50 AM)
The Indiana @ Iowa game tomorrow night is on ESPN @ 8:00 CT.  the games I listed were CBS games only.

Perfect. I prefer ESPN, they actually do the games in HD. Well at least all of the Iowa ones I've watched on ESPN thus far were on HD. Every once in a while I'll see one not, but I assume the Iowa/IU game will be :)

Should be a doozie.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 09:49 AM)
5-2 against the rpi top 50.

10th toughest schedule to date doesn't hurt either.

Plus the big 10 has the strongest RPI of all conferences which help. I don't know where Iowa went after the loss to your Spartans, but they were right outside the top 10 in RPI last week as well.

Most of the big 10 conference is rated pretty high right now (via RPI).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 02:34 PM)
Plus the big 10 has the strongest RPI of all conferences which help.  I don't know where Iowa went after the loss to your Spartans, but they were right outside the top 10 in RPI last week as well. 

Most of the big 10 conference is rated pretty high right now (via RPI).

6 Big Ten teams in the top 14 of the RPI.

AP Top 25

1 Connecticut (64)

2 Duke (7)

3 Memphis

4 Texas

5 Florida 17-1

6 Villanova (1)

7 Gonzaga

8 Illinois

9 West Virginia

10 Washington

11 Michigan State

12 Pittsburgh

13 Indiana

14 George Washington

15 North Carolina State

16 Ohio State

17 UCLA

18 Maryland

19 Tennessee

20 Boston College

21 Georgetown

22 Louisville

23 Wisconsin

24 Oklahoma

25 Syracuse

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 01:32 PM)
Note I said almost any team in the country.  But the important thing is, once I get off my lazy ass you'll be sporting a sig as evidence that they could take down one of the best teams in the big ten :)

There is an expiration date on this sig bet...i'm not going to be sporting an Iowa sig come March. Hurry up you bastard :chair

Edit: I also won't be sporting it past Feb 25th, when we beat you at Assembly Hall. And by beat, i mean destroy.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
There is an expiration date on this sig bet...i'm not going to be sporting an Iowa sig come March. Hurry up you bastard  :chair

Edit: I also won't be sporting it past Feb 25th, when we beat you at Assembly Hall. And by beat, i mean destroy.

Yeah, okay, Iowa shoots 35% and still beats the Illini by 15 and the Illini are suddenly going to dominate them just because they are at home. Illinois would actually have to score to do that, something they've had trouble with against any competent team. 68 against a young UNC team, and 79 against Michigan are the only two good offensive games I see against quality opponents, and another fairly good night with 65 against Xavier. Even against weak teams like NU and Coppin State they didn't exactly light up the scoreboard. Even assuming they play stellar defense it is going to be tough to hold Iowa under 50, meaning that Illinois would have to score at least 65 to make it a killing in my book. They've going to have to a very good night to do that, especially from behind the arc. They probably should win since they play better at home, but I'd hardly expect them to dominate.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 02:09 PM)
Yeah, okay, Iowa shoots 35% and still beats the Illini by 15 and the Illini are suddenly going to dominate them just because they are at home. Illinois would actually have to score to do that, something they've had trouble with against any competent team. 68 against a young UNC team, and 79 against Michigan are the only two good offensive games I see against quality opponents, and another fairly good night with 65 against Xavier. Even against weak teams like NU and Coppin State they didn't exactly light up the scoreboard. Even assuming they play stellar defense it is going to be tough to hold Iowa under 50, meaning that Illinois would have to score at least 65 to make it a killing in my book. They've going to have to a very good night to do that, especially from behind the arc. They probably should win since they play better at home, but I'd hardly expect them to dominate.

I don't think they'll blow them out, i'm mainly just messing with Jason.

However, we will win that game. And yes, home court makes a HUGE difference.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 12:15 PM)

You probably will...but we gave you all quite the scare last year. I just love messing with ya guys cause if Iowa loses its expected, but if they win (and they have the ability to) than I get to rub it in :P

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 03:15 PM)

I see. Yes, the home floor makes a big difference, I just didn't think it was a -15 to +20 type difference. As I said, they should win the game at home, but I really don't think they're killing them. Illinois just isn't good enough this year to rout the top half of the Big Ten with regularity. Maybe a result similar to the MSU game, but I wouldn't expect too much more.

QUOTE(GasHeGone @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 09:44 PM)
How do you guys feel about G-Town being ranked and - more importantly - will they stay there?

i'm mixed. any time you beat the unbeaten top-ranked team in the country, you deserve some consideration unless you've just been awful otherwise. outside of duke, gtowns only quality wins are st. johns and providence and those are far from eye-popping.

gtown has played well, though. their only double-digit loss was at illinois (by 10 points) and they've played really well in losses to uconn and west virginia. as to whether they will stay ranked, i think they can. their next five games are all winnable (at notre dame, cincinnati at home, at depaul, pittsburgh at home and st. johns at home).

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 05:13 PM)
How did Michigan State not move into the top 10?

Let's see, they beat Ohio State in 2ot on the road then poleaxed Iowa by 30.

And IU is ahead of them in one poll?

I don't get it.

Ohio State happened before last week's polls came out. That happened on the Sunday, and the polls came out on Monday. They were rewarded with jumps of at least 2 slots in each poll from weeks 10 to 11. This is week 12.

Iowa had to survive 2OT to win at home, and then got smashed on the road. They fell out of the polls, so that didn't help MSU much.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 10:13 PM)
How did Michigan State not move into the top 10?

Let's see, they beat Ohio State in 2ot on the road then poleaxed Iowa by 30.

And IU is ahead of them in one poll?

I don't get it.

Don't try to get the polls. Especially in the 8-16 range. Many of the teams are basically interchangeable. You'll drive yourself nuts trying to make sense of it.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 06:35 PM)
And 4 Missouri Valley teams in the top 27.  Lots of good basketball in the Midwest this year.

Depending on how the top 4 do against each other, the mvc has a decent shot at getting 4 in. Big game coming up tomorrow when we face Creighton. I'm almost tempted to call this a must win being we still play creighton on the road and with the 4 way tie at the top you must win your home games against those teams.