Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 07:59 PM)
Iowa continues to dominate at home.  It was going to take a lot for them to blow this one in Iowa City, after that game in the Breslin Center.

Sloppy game for the Hoosiers.  The shooting's been falling back down to earth, percentage wise the past couple games.  The defense couldn't do much without Killingsworth in the lineup.  He doesn't do a whole lot on defense, because he's trying to stay in the game, but it keeps IU's perimeter defense much tighter. 

62-51 with 2:11 left.  We've got a shot, but not a big one with our foul trouble.

This was about the loudest I've seen Carver Hawkeye in some time. The school needed this and it should be even louder this weekend against the Buckeyes. The Hawks got to turn that into a bigger home court advantage and thus far this year the team has played well at home.

Big test on Saturday and the fans got to get better (definately were strong tonight).

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 10:57 PM)
Why would you be rooting for them?  They are atop the big 10, so I was thinking we did all the other big 10 teams a favor.  Iowa played tremendously and aside from Vader being on fire (and some poor turnovers by Iowa) it would have been a total blowout.  The game was never really close though.

Iowa's defense absolutely shut down Killingsworth.  I've long said Hansen (when not in foul trouble) is one of the best defensive big men in the country and when he's not in foul trouble, Iowa is an incredibly dangerous team. 

Real nice win and we protected home court.  I'd have to say Iowa (and yes I'm biased) has more quality wins than any other unranked team.  Now they got to focus on the Buckeyes, who are a damn good team as well (we play em this weekend).  I'm hoping somehow I'll get to see a little part of this game while at Fest.

you're right, i wouldn't have been rooting for IU tonight if i hadn't put money on them :P

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 08:34 PM)
The Iowa game was just ridiculous tonight. 

Greasy, did I miss something here?  What the hell did Killingsworth do that was so bad to deserve to sit more than 10 minutes in the second half??  And Monroe?

At one point, they had a lineup of Ratliff (4 fouls), Suhr, Calloway, Allen and Kline?  How in the hell do you think you can win on the road in the Big Ten without ANY of your top six players in the game?  Granted Strickland and White are hurt, but s***, you can't have Vaden, Killingsworth, Monroe AND Wilmont on the bench at the same freakin time!!

Is there something else going on here or did the ghost of Bob Knight take over Davis tonight??

I can't believe we didn't get beat by freaking 30!!!!

If it weren't for Vaden, you guys would have lost by 30. That guy was ridiculous.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 08:57 PM)
I'm ripping him a new one tonight.  Even Lavin, was quietly questioning the move, by commenting several times that the point was proven and he needed to go back to his big guns.  Killingsworth did pass out of the post early in the game.  I know one got picked off and I do remember at least one other, but I don't recall him being shot happy and shooting every time he got the ball.

Early in the 2nd half Lavin was commending Davis for making the changes. This was when they were cutting the lead. Obviously Killingsworth sat on the bench to long and he is your best player (along with Vader), so he needs to be on the court. That said when he was out there (aside from the 1st minute or two in the game) he was getting destroyed by our defense and was turning it over/forcing shots while not recognizing the double team.

He was really miffed and got taken out of his game. I don't think it cost ya guys the game (having him on the bench) and it could turn out to be a really good learning experience for Killingsworth.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 05:08 AM)
Early in the 2nd half Lavin was commending Davis for making the changes.  This was when they were cutting the lead.  Obviously Killingsworth sat on the bench to long and he is your best player (along with Vader), so he needs to be on the court.  That said when he was out there (aside from the 1st minute or two in the game) he was getting destroyed by our defense and was turning it over/forcing shots while not recognizing the double team. 

He was really miffed and got taken out of his game.  I don't think it cost ya guys the game (having him on the bench) and it could turn out to be a really good learning experience for Killingsworth.

First of all it is VadeN, not Vader. Sorry, that was killing me.

I try to be fair and would have no problem saying Iowa beat us if I thought we played well. But I thought the game as a whole from IU was terrible. Missing Strickland hurt. Strickland being out, hurt Killingsworth, giving him one less option to pass to.

I know you feel differently, but I can't give Iowa that much credit tonight. They weren't that good. If IU had anything, they would have won by 10. IU just completely laid an egg tonight, and coaching has to bear a big part of the blame in my mind. Not only was Killingsworth on the bench, but for a time so was Monroe, Vaden AND Wilmont. You just can't win without any of your top six players on the floor for an extended period of time.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 12:51 AM)
I can't wait to rush the floor today when we beat Minnesota.

That's damn funny! Who knows what Gopher will show up? The one that will lose by three or the one that will lose by thirty?

They quit on Saturday Night -- everyone except Stamper. If Stamper were 4-5 inches taller, he's all Big Ten.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 12:31 AM)
First of all it is VadeN, not Vader.  Sorry, that was killing me. 

I try to be fair and would have no problem saying Iowa beat us if I thought we played well.  But I thought the game as a whole from IU was terrible.  Missing Strickland hurt.  Strickland being out, hurt Killingsworth, giving him one less option to pass to. 

I  know you feel differently, but I can't give Iowa that much credit tonight.  They weren't that good.  If IU had anything, they would have won by 10.  IU just completely laid an egg tonight, and coaching has to bear a big part of the blame in my mind.  Not only was Killingsworth on the bench, but for a time so was Monroe, Vaden AND Wilmont.  You just can't win without any of your top six players on the floor for an extended period of time.

I agree with you.

Iowa is just really tough to beat at home. IU should have won the game, but they just played terribly. It didn't help that Davis had several coaching brainfarts either, several of which you mentioned.

Right now I think the Big 10 is a four team race, Michigan St, IU, ILL and Wisconsin.

I'll go with one of IU, Michigan St or ILL to win it.

Here are the remaining Big 10 schedules for the four contenders in my mind. I'll also list if the game IMO is favorable for a win for the team. (Of course there is a ton of basketball to be played, so anything can happen.)

Michigan State (3-2):

01/25 at Michigan EDGE: MSU

01/28 Penn State EDGE: MSU

02/4 at Northwestern EDGE: MSU

02/8 Purdue 8:00 PM EDGE: MSU

02/11 at Minnesota EDGE: MSU

02/14 at Iowa EDGE: SLIGHT IOWA

02/18 Michigan EDGE: MSU

02/22 No. 16 Ohio State EDGE: MSU

02/26 at No. 11 Indiana EDGE: IU

02/28 No. 21 Wisconsin EDGE: MSU

03/4 No. 7 Illinois EDGE: SLIGHT MSU

Prediction: 12-4

Indiana (4-2):

01/29 at Minnesota EDGE: IU

02/1 Northwestern EDGE: IU

02/8 at No. 21 Wisconsin EDGE: WISC

02/11 Iowa 12:00 PM EDGE: IU

02/15 at Penn State EDGE: IU

02/19 at No. 7 Illinois EDGE: ILL

02/22 Penn State EDGE: IU

02/26 No. 12 Michigan State EDGE: IU

02/28 at Purdue EDGE: IU

03/4 at Michigan EDGE: IU

Prediction: 12-4

Illinois (3-2):

01/25 Minnesota EDGE: ILL

01/28 Purdue EDGE: ILL

01/31 at No. 21 Wisconsin EDGE: WISC

02/4 Penn State EDGE: ILL

02/12 at No. 16 Ohio State EDGE: SLIGHT OSU

02/15 Northwestern EDGE: ILL

02/19 No. 11 Indiana EDGE: ILL

02/21 at Michigan EDGE: ILL

02/25 Iowa EDGE: ILL

02/28 at Minnesota EDGE: ILL

03/4 at No. 12 Michigan State EDGE: SLIGHT MSU

Prediction: 11-5

Wisconsin (4-1):

01/25 Penn State EDGE: WISC

01/28 at Michigan EDGE: WISC

01/31 No. 7 Illinois EDGE: WISC

02/4 at Purdue EDGE: WISC

02/8 No. 11 Indiana EDGE: WISC

02/11 at Penn State EDGE: WISC

02/15 No. 16 Ohio State EDGE: WISC

02/23 at Northwestern EDGE: WISC

02/26 Minnesota EDGE: WISC

02/28 at No. 12 Michigan State EDGE: MSU

03/4 at Iowa EDGE: SLIGHT IOWA

Prediction: 12-4 - I'll think they'll lose another game, just don't know which one.

Other contenders:

Iowa (4-2):

01/28 No. 16 Ohio State EDGE: SLIGHT IOWA

02/1 at Purdue EDGE: IOWA

02/4 Michigan EDGE: IOWA

02/8 at Northwestern EDGE: IOWA

02/11 at No. 11 Indiana EDGE: IU

02/14 No. 12 Michigan State EDGE: SLIGHT IOWA

02/18 at Minnesota EDGE: IOWA

02/25 at No. 7 Illinois EDGE: ILL

03/1 Penn State EDGE: IOWA

03/4 No. 21 Wisconsin EDGE: SLIGHT IOWA

Prediction: 10-6 - Alford's teams always seem to come up short in Big 10 play.

Ohio State (4-2):

01/28 at Iowa EDGE: SLIGHT IOWA

02/4 Minnesota EDGE: OH ST

02/9 at Michigan EDGE: OH ST

02/12 No. 7 Illinois EDGE: SLIGHT OH ST

02/15 at No. 21 Wisconsin EDGE: WISC

02/18 Northwestern EDGE: OH ST

02/22 at No. 12 Michigan State EDGE: MSU

02/25 Michigan EDGE: OH ST

03/1 at Northwestern EDGE: OH ST

03/5 Purdue EDGE: OH ST

Prediction: 10-6

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 10:46 PM)
Well it's not like they got down by 17 with Davis using his players optimally or anything. (Ratliff got himself in trouble)

Nobody should be surprised by the Hawkeyes holding a team to 37% from the field at home.

Afterall, we are 4th in the country in defensive field goal percentage. The team everyone saw against MSU was not the team thats been playing most of the season. Iowa is a top defensive team and if Hansen stays out of foul trouble, we can match up with teams with one good big man.

Thomas also played some nice defense throughout the game. Really impressed me using his body and strength and he was able to tip up and steal a few passes through the paint.

We got that lead playing strong offensively (moving the ball around and taking our shot; something they've struggled with all year) while doing the usual on defense.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 09:38 AM)
Iowa will lose at Minnesota or Northwestern. Just cause it's Alford's style.

Ya, those games scare me a lot. Especially NU, they've taken us to school year in year out at least once or so it seems. Just ask Dan, he loves rubbing it in. Luckily not as much as when his teams beat ISU.

The difference between a team shooting bad and a team having good defense is which team you are rooting for.

As for the Big 10, I think it still is Wisconsin's to lose. I already had figured they were going to lose to OSU, and losing to ND State really could be one of the best things that happens to them all season. They started to become complacent at home, just thinking that they were unbeatable there. \

What I dont get is how the MSU fan does not give the Wisconsin team respect?

Wisconsin thrashed MSU at full strength, and their last 2 losses have been shorthanded (down Stietsma and Landry) and 1 was away at a tough OSU.

Wisconsin shot the worst percentage against ND that I have really ever seen.

Hopefully they get on a roll before the Illini come in, otherwise Wisconsin's season could slip away really fast. Its just hard to tell at this point what the impact is of the lost players.

I'll be really interested in watching MSU-Michigan tonight. The loser takes a pretty big hit in the standings by being the only contender with 3 conference losses. Michigan's chances of winning the conference and possibly their chances of making the tournament could take a major hit if they lose. They need to start beatin some quality opponents some time. They get quite a few chances the rest of the year, with MSU, Wisconsin, Illinois, OSU, and Indiana all visiting Ann Arbor. They also still play at MSU, Iowa, and OSU. It's a tough road, but watch out for them in the tournament if they come out of it alive.

Aboz, nice analysis. If Illinois wants to win the Big Ten, we have to try to win 1-2 games between @ Wisky, @ OSU, and @ MSU, all while taking care of home court. IMO, we have no chance of winning at MSU, and we play crappy at OSU...so the Wisky is a must win game IF we want a chance to end up in first.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 12:57 PM)
Ya, those games scare me a lot.  Especially NU, they've taken us to school year in year out at least once or so it seems.  Just ask Dan, he loves rubbing it in.  Luckily not as much as when his teams beat ISU.

I don't think any of the major teams have to worry all that much about NU this year. I'd be very surprised if they pulled an upset, this team is just brutal.

I watch them extensively, and they're just weak in so many aspects of the game. They just can't seem to get easy baskets with any kind of regularity. Yeah, they hit Vedran in the post every once in a while and he usually converts, but they often have trouble getting it to him. What makes it worse is outside of occasional spurts from Hachad they can't penetrate, and they get no transition baskets. Too often they rely on jacking up threes, and only Vedran and Moore can hit them with any consistency (even Vedran seems to be in a shooting slump).

The bigger issue is their total lack of a post presence on defense. Pretty much any team in the country can impose their will on them in the paint. I've seen 6'6" guys kick our ass in the paint, ignoring what real post players can do. Besides the personel problem down there, because they often play a 1-3-1 zone they get some nasty matchups down low. Because the guy at the back has to cover both corners and the post if the ball gets down there, they put a guard back there instead of one of our few big guys. You'd be amazed how often Michael Jenkins, who stands 5'9", ended up covering James Augustine in the Illinois game. They seem to stop penetration fairly well, but they end up allowing a lot of open 3-pointers because of it. Any decent shooting team should be able to light them up from beyond the arc. All you have to do is look at the fact that Rich McBride scored 12 against us, and he could have had more with better accuracy. Unless NU has an unusually good night shooting from outside, they probably won't even stay close to some of the better teams.

End of rant. My apologies to anyone that doesn't give a damn about NU's deficiencies. :P

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 10:39 AM)
The difference between a team shooting bad and a team having good defense is which team you are rooting for.

Thats true, but its like the Pistons when you shoot bad against them you know its there defense. They have proven its not a fluke. They flat out play great defense, same with the Spurs.

Iowa this year has proven (based on that sick defensive field goal % they have) that they play good defense so in those cases I give the defense a nod (and sure I am biased, more than willing to admit that).

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 02:06 PM)
I don't think any of the major teams have to worry all that much about NU this year. I'd be very surprised if they pulled an upset, this team is just brutal.

I watch them extensively, and they're just weak in so many aspects of the game. They just can't seem to get easy baskets with any kind of regularity. Yeah, they hit Vedran in the post every once in a while and he usually converts, but they often have trouble getting it to him. What makes it worse is outside of occasional spurts from Hachad they can't penetrate, and they get no transition baskets. Too often they rely on jacking up threes, and only Vedran and Moore can hit them with any consistency (even Vedran seems to be in a shooting slump).

The bigger issue is their total lack of a post presence on defense. Pretty much any team in the country can impose their will on them in the paint. I've seen 6'6" guys kick our ass in the paint, ignoring what real post players can do. Besides the personel problem down there, because they often play a 1-3-1 zone they get some nasty matchups down low. Because the guy at the back has to cover both corners and the post if the ball gets down there, they put a guard back there instead of one of our few big guys. You'd be amazed how often Michael Jenkins, who stands 5'9", ended up covering James Augustine in the Illinois game. They seem to stop penetration fairly well, but they end up allowing a lot of open 3-pointers because of it. Any decent shooting team should be able to light them up from beyond the arc. All you have to do is look at the fact that Rich McBride scored 12 against us, and he could have had more with better accuracy. Unless NU has an unusually good night shooting from outside, they probably won't even stay close to some of the better teams.

End of rant. My apologies to anyone that doesn't give a damn about NU's deficiencies.  :P

I've just witnessed enough of the Hawks troubles in Evanston to think that NU has a shot. :drink