Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wisconsin is WAY shorthanded, but to fall behind 11 up there and play as well as we did to win by 15 says A LOT about this team. The way Jamar, Brian, and Rich played was VERY encouraging....if they can consistently play even close to that level, the Illini are as good as just about anybody out there.

And James....your going to leave the only 1,000/1,000 player in school history, but your still a dumbass who drives me insane. :)

Crazy game, final UConn 80-76. I've had my eye on gamecenter, since this tipped off. Pitt never got closer than a tie, but they were in it the whole way.

Now on Saturday, UConn will be the second #1 team to come to Bloomington this season. I've been wanting that for some time now.

I thought our team would be a little different at this point of the year, but injuries and other things have prevented that. It'll be fun though.

IU needs to get back on track in the Big Ten though, with a game tomorrow against Northwestern.

I've gotta talk about the Illini game tonight, and has I have been preaching all year, I will continue to do so, the Illini need Randle and McBride to be a very good team. Dee and Augie can take a team so far, but those two guys are the X-factor between a second round exit and a potential final four team.

Two teams I gotta give some credit tonight that I've been ripping on: the Illini and Pitt.

The Illini played a pretty solid game. The defense was still pretty good and they got some help from other people on offense. McBride and Randle really got things going towards the end of the first half, Dee picked it up in the second, and Jamar provided a boost off the bench. If they could do that more regularly I wouldn't pick on them. I haven't totally changed my opinion on them, but at least they came up with a good game against a decent opponent on the road.

On the other hand, I think this game finalizes the fact that Wisconsin is in a bit of a free fall. They just don't seem to have the horses to hang in there right now. Tucker and Taylor are very good players, but they aren't getting a lot of help. Butch has some talent, but he can't give them solid production consistently (especially against better teams), and the rest of the supportiing cast is lackluster.

Pitt also came up with a good game even though they lost to the best team in the country. Krauser didn't have one of his better games, but they still put 76 points on the board and kept it close. Gray was huge, and their role players did some damage. Looking at the season averages I used to assume that Krauser and Gray did everything, but some of their other guys make good contributions.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 10:26 PM)
If Indiana had DJ White, I'd pick them against UConn....but with him gone, I think UConn attacks Marco, getting him into foul trouble, and picks up a win.

I still couldn't pick Indiana to beat UConn. Indiana's guards are very inconsistent in their production, and even with White the Hoosiers are still at a disadvantage inside against the Huskies. UConn just has too many players that can hurt you and don't have any glaring weaknesses.

I must say I'm very excited about Rich McBride. He seems to be showing the threat of an offensive game inside the arc, and Wisky respected it tonight. As a result, McBride had some VERY good looks tonight, and his shooting numbers reflect it. This is obviously great news, IMO Rich is a VERY good defender and a consistent offensive game out of him makes Rich a VERY good player. I just freaking wish Brian and James would stop with the dumb fouls, they are so damned good when on the floor. Oh, and Jamar Smith is SICK with the shot, guy is a lethal weapon.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 10:57 PM)
Smartass

So did anybody outside of Dee and James play well?  I could obviously look at the boxscore.  But that doesn't always tell the whole story.

Actually our three best players tonight were Rich, Jamar, and Randle.

IA and WI enjoy a huge scheduling advantage by playing all four BT bottom feeders on the road. IL and MSU play only two of them on the road. In sum, IL and MSU started the season with a two game deficit on IA and WI. Big win tonight, as IL picks up two clicks on Wisky. That said, here is an updated look at the projected order of finish should the top seven teams win out on respective home courts and on the road against the bottom four.

Team Wins Losses Remaining Road Games

IA 12 4 PU, NW, IN, MN, IL

IL 11 5 OSU, MI, MN, MSU

MI 11 5 PSU, IA, PU, MSU, OSU

MSU 11 5 NW, MN, IA, IN

WI 11 5 PU, PSU, NW, MSU, IA

IN 10 6 WI, PSU, IL, PU, MI

OSU 10 6 IA, MN, WI, MSU, NW

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 10:48 PM)
Lol, I was just posting that exact same thing. 

And ya how bout that Big 10, MVC.  Its ridiculous how many teams are so high in the RPI between those two conferences.

MVC > Big 10 :ph34r: