Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 10:03 AM)
Big Day of college Bball tonight.  Lets hope mizzou beats texas.

Good win illini fans, Wisconsin is boooooring to watch.

If Missouri cannot beat teams like Davidson and Iowa State, they will not beat Texas.

Good win by Illinois, I think the most frustrating part as a Wisconsin fan is that you do not expect your team to be out coached, and that is what happened.

Ryan just could not seem to get a grasp of the match ups, and the Badgers failed.

The one that bothered me the most was Ray Nixon versus Dee Brown.

Nixon is about 6'9 with a huge wingspan and was being gaurded by Brown. Why they did not post him every time, I will never understand.

Ah well, Badgers better start picking up the pace or they may miss the NCAA tournament.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 12:15 AM)
IA and WI enjoy a huge scheduling advantage by playing all four BT bottom feeders on the road. IL and MSU play only two of them on the road. In sum, IL and MSU started the season with a two game deficit on IA and WI. Big win tonight, as IL picks up two clicks on Wisky. That said, here is an updated look at the projected order of finish should the top seven teams win out on respective home courts and on the road against the bottom four.

Team Wins Losses Remaining Road Games

IA      12      4      PU, NW, IN, MN, IL

IL        11      5      OSU, MI, MN, MSU

MI      11      5      PSU, IA, PU, MSU, OSU

MSU    11      5      NW, MN, IA, IN

WI      11      5      PU, PSU, NW, MSU, IA

IN      10      6    WI, PSU, IL, PU, MI

OSU  10      6    IA, MN, WI, MSU, NW

Its not gonna be that easy for IA to just win out at home. We still play MSU who whooped our asses and that said I'm scared and pretty much ready for the team to lay a total egg against one of the bottom feeders. Afterall, its why they play the games.

That said, I'd love it if your projection worked out.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 08:34 AM)
IU's going to have a new lineup tonight.  Sunday it was talked about Strickland running the point, and it didn't happen.  It will tonight.

PG-Strickland

SG-Vaden (Vader for Jason)

SF-Wilmont

PF-Allen/Kline

C-Killingsworth

That Darth Vader is a player :D

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 04:35 PM)
Good win by Illinois, I think the most frustrating part as a Wisconsin fan is that you do not expect your team to be out coached, and that is what happened.

Ryan just could not seem to get a grasp of the match ups, and the Badgers failed.

The one that bothered me the most was Ray Nixon versus Dee Brown.

Nixon is about 6'9 with a huge wingspan and was being gaurded by Brown. Why they did not post him every time, I will never understand.

Ah well, Badgers better start picking up the pace or they may miss the NCAA tournament.

I don't think you guys are going to fall that far. Tucker and Taylor are still studs, and the other players can come up with a good game once in a while. The way they are playing now it certainly looks like they are a long shot to win the conference, but they can still make some things interesting. They should still get in the tourney, although their seed is taking a major hit right now.

In my opinion it's starting to look it'll come down to Illinois and the two Michigan schools. I just don't think the other teams have enough talent to stay in it. If anyone out of the rest of the group proves me wrong, I think it'll be OSU (even though their schedule is a little rough) because Wisconsin, Iowa, and Indiana just don't seem to have enough dependable players (on the other hand, Iowa has a pretty sweet schedule left if they can beat some people at home). The other three rely very heavily on 2 or 3 players to do almost all of their scoring. I know that Illinois and MSU do also, but here's why I have a little more faith in those two:

Illinois has the lead, appears to play the best defense, and has four other players that make significant contributions besides their two big guns (Randle, Pruitt, McBride, and Smith). If those guys can step up and carry a bigger load more consistently like they have in spots, they'll be in very good shape.

MSU has the best trio of players. Ager, Davis, and Brown can all carry the team on a good night. Neitzel is also playing a bit better, and played a big role in saving their ass against PSU with Davis out and Ager off.

I really don't know who I'd pick right now. Illinois should probably be the favorite, but they still have tough games at MSU, Michigan, and OSU. MSU has trips to Iowa and Indiana, but gets a shot at Michigan and Illinois at home (plus OSU), meaning they probably have the best schedule of this group. I probably like Michigan's team the most, but they have to keep Abram on the floor and have a pretty tough schedule remaining, with trips to MSU, Iowa, and OSU with Illinois and Indiana at home.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)
One can expect Iowa to crap out at Northwestern. It's what they do.

As an NU fan, the only teams I really see them having any chance of beating the rest of the year are Minnesota and PSU, and even Penn State already beat us on our own floor. You simply can't underestimate our innate ability to go long periods of time without scoring any points.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 02:03 PM)
As an NU fan, the only teams I really see them having any chance of beating the rest of the year are Minnesota and PSU, and even Penn State already beat us on our own floor. You simply can't underestimate our innate ability to go long periods of time without scoring any points.

I've thought that in the past, but you guys find a way to beat the Hawks, like heads said...its what you do.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 04:06 PM)
I've thought that in the past, but you guys find a way to beat the Hawks, like heads said...its what you do.

Kind of like I wasn't totally surprised when ISU s*** against Hampton in the NCAA tourney 5 years ago. Iowa State athletics make blowing a big game against a little opponent their job.

Any time a team can go about 9-10 minutes at home and not scoure a FG, you have to start wondering about its make up.

I think the Badgers could of as easily blown out Illinois last night as lost to them. In terms of talent, it was pretty even. But Wisconsin is just not playing to its talent level. They do not play with any sense of urgency, and they just seem to coast for long time periods.

Another problem is that when they start to miss shots, instead of working harder for good shots, they start to just fire threes. And while the Illini were making their 3's the Badgers have consistently missed them this year.

Its hard to tell whether Landry and Steitsma really have hurt the team this much, or whether the players are just not hitting their shots. I think Wisconsin had plenty of good looks, especially when they were up 12, they just could not hit their shots.

I dont know, I expect more out of Ryan. I dont mind if they lose, I mind when they get outplayed and out coached. That is not Wisconsin basketball, especially when they had the Illini in foul trouble and should of been taking advantage of match ups.

Im just worried that they are starting to lose their swagger, and the belief that they are not going to lose.

Im sure its a long shot for them not to make the tourney, but at the same time when they make the tourney Wisconsin fans expect atleast 1 or 2 wins, and this team does not seem to put it together against good teams.

The aberration is that MSU game where they just thrashed em. But if Wisconsin had shot anything from the 3 against the Illini it could of been like MSU.

Ah well, most of the team is young so its not like there will be a drop off next year.

Yeah well being that I am from Illinois, its just frustrating that of all the teams in the Big 10, Illinois is the one who has had Wisconsin's number the last few years.

But I guess on the other hand atleast they have been losing to arguably the best team in the conference the last few years.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 04:16 PM)
Yeah well being that I am from Illinois, its just frustrating that of all the teams in the Big 10, Illinois is the one who has had Wisconsin's number the last few years.

But I guess on the other hand atleast they have been losing to arguably the best team in the conference the last few years.

Illinois has won at least a share of the league 4 years out of 5 (only NOT 5 in a row because of a 1 point loss at your guys house on the last day of the 2003 season), and has a chance to make it 5 of 6 this year. We also won the league tournament in 2003 and 2005. We have simply had most everybody's number lately, so don't feel bad. I wish you luck, mainly because Wisky and Sparty are the only 2 Big Ten teams besides Illinois of course that I don't hate.

:)