Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 04:32 AM)
But he's not all about making people great basketball players, he's all about making people great human beings.

Coack K is a saint.

i heard he was something else...

ratface.jpg

:D

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 01:38 AM)
It's pretty easy to realize why Duke players so often suck in the NBA when you see the kind of calls that team gets.  I'm sure it's a culture shock for rookies out of Duke when they are called for holds, hacks, and push offs in the league.

It might also be a reason that they underachieve in the tournament a bit. Yes, I know they still do better than anyone else, but when you're a #1 seed every year you're expected to make it to at least the Elite 8. The average #1 seed wins 3.3 games in the tournament, which is a total that Duke doesn't seem to match as much as they should.

long time reader, first time poster to this thread. Great hoops talk in here, I'm kinda pissed that I missed out on the early season discussions, but Febuary is here, seperating the contenders and pretenders.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK. Scared, be very scared of this maturing team come March.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 11:22 AM)
And not have 3 or 4 more guys transfer, and not lose Rush to the league.

And hope and pray the Big 12 stays crappy outside of Texas and Oklahoma, to a certain extent.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 11:16 AM)
long time reader, first time poster to this thread.  Great hoops talk in here, I'm kinda pissed that I missed out on the early season discussions, but Febuary is here, seperating the contenders and pretenders.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK.  Scared, be very scared of this maturing team come March.

Allright another KU fan, i love the pic of JUJU in your avatar. Don't mind the other posters, they are KU haters, mostly due to Self fleeing their school. I would be the same way, and am with roy boy.

I am more excited about the OU game then I am the super bowl. A win and we are a ranked team baby.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 11:28 AM)
Allright another KU fan, i love the pic of JUJU in your avatar.  Don't mind the other posters, they are KU haters, mostly due to Self fleeing their school.  I would be the same way, and am with roy boy.

I am more excited about the OU game then I am the super bowl.  A win and we are a ranked team baby.

Part of it is I like giving ya crap, part of it is the ISU-KU rivalry and the fact that ISU is one of the few schools that has been able to give Kansas any sort of consistent trouble in the last 10 or so years.

That and I want Rush gone. Now.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 11:28 AM)
Allright another KU fan, i love the pic of JUJU in your avatar.  Don't mind the other posters, they are KU haters, mostly due to Self fleeing their school.  I would be the same way, and am with roy boy.

I am more excited about the OU game then I am the super bowl.  A win and we are a ranked team baby.

I have nothing against KU or Self, Illinois got a much better coach out of that whole thing. My issue is KU has only beaten 1 team this season that can be considered to be anything resembling good (at Colorado) and that they beat crap outside the Big 12, and are beating more crap in it. They have talent, but they are going to get a seed where they have a tough 1st round game, and then will be playing a top 2 or 3 seed in the 2nd round if they can survive that. Not a good formula for a serious push in March.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 11:31 AM)
I have nothing against KU or Self, Illinois got a much better coach out of that whole thing.  My issue is KU has only beaten 1 team this season that can be considered to be anything resembling good (at Colorado) and that they beat crap outside the Big 12, and are beating more crap in it.  They have talent, but they are going to get a seed where they have a tough 1st round game, and then will be playing a top 2 or 3 seed in the 2nd round if they can survive that.  Not a good formula for a serious push in March.

It took Self until about 2 weeks ago to figure out which freshman or sophmore to play where. I do no mind the early losses, ill take wins in February over wins in December.

rush_reverse_t600.jpg

....While the crowd was dreaming in chanting "three more years!" there have been encouraging whispers lately on the Rush front. Word is his brother Kareem of the Charlotte Bobcats has cautioned him not to rush into his NBA career. Another thing going in KU's favor is that the family doesn't need financial assistance from him because of Kareem's pro paychecks.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 11:31 AM)
I have nothing against KU or Self, Illinois got a much better coach out of that whole thing.  My issue is KU has only beaten 1 team this season that can be considered to be anything resembling good (at Colorado) and that they beat crap outside the Big 12, and are beating more crap in it.  They have talent, but they are going to get a seed where they have a tough 1st round game, and then will be playing a top 2 or 3 seed in the 2nd round if they can survive that.  Not a good formula for a serious push in March.

The key to getting an NCAA Big 12 berth is that first round Big 12 tourney bye. It means you are a top 4 team in teh conference, and the conference champion has always come from this group....

Big 12 All

Texas 6-1 18-3

Colorado 5-2 15-3

Oklahoma 5-2 14-4

Kansas 5-2 14-6

----------------

Nebraska 4-3 14-6

Kansas State 3-4 12-6

Iowa State 3-4 13-7

Texas Tech 3-4 11-10

Texas A&M 3-5 13-6

Missouri 3-5 10-9

Oklahoma State 2-5 12-9

Baylor 1-6 1-6

How crappy is this league? Nebraksa is fifth and Kansas State, Iowa State and Texas Tech are all tied for sixth.

Rush can stay in school all he wants, but his NBA stock isn't going to get much higher....a draft class this pathetic doesn't come around very often. Also, I know KU has gotten a lot better, but I still want to see them beat somebody, and I still think they suck inside once you get past Kaun.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 11:39 AM)
The key to getting an NCAA Big 12 berth is that first round Big 12 tourney bye. It means you are a top 4 team in teh conference, and the conference champion has always come from this group....

Big 12 All

Texas 6-1 18-3 

Colorado 5-2 15-3 

Oklahoma 5-2 14-4 

Kansas 5-2 14-6 

----------------

Nebraska 4-3 14-6 

Kansas State 3-4 12-6 

Iowa State 3-4 13-7 

Texas Tech 3-4 11-10 

Texas A&M 3-5 13-6 

Missouri 3-5 10-9 

Oklahoma State 2-5 12-9 

Baylor 1-6 1-6 

How crappy is this league? Nebraksa is fifth and Kansas State, Iowa State and Texas Tech are all tied for sixth.

KU could really lock down the 2 spot with a win this weekend. that would put tie breaker over ou and colorado.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 11:40 AM)
Rush can stay in school all he wants, but his NBA stock isn't going to get much higher....a draft class this pathetic doesn't come around very often.  Also, I know KU has gotten a lot better, but I still want to see them beat somebody, and I still think they suck inside once you get past Kaun.

You are not watching are you.. Darnell Jackson is averaging close to a double double now.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 11:39 AM)

Big 12 All

Texas 6-1 18-3 

Colorado 5-2 15-3 

Oklahoma 5-2 14-4 

Kansas 5-2 14-6 

----------------

Nebraska 4-3 14-6 

Kansas State 3-4 12-6 

Iowa State 3-4 13-7 

Texas Tech 3-4 11-10 

Texas A&M 3-5 13-6 

Missouri 3-5 10-9 

Oklahoma State 2-5 12-9 

Baylor 1-6 1-6 

I was actually refering to the NCAA tournament, but thanks for the info. The Big 12 only has 4 teams that I consider to be actual high major basketball squads (the top 4...sorry Heads) so KU could easily win the Big 12 Tournament for all I know.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 11:41 AM)
I was actually refering to the NCAA tournament, but thanks for the info.  The Big 12 only has 4 teams that I consider to be actual high major basketball squads (the top 4...sorry Heads) so KU could easily win the Big 12 Tournament for all I know.

I honestly think OU beating UT was an abberation. The Texas team I have witnessed with my own eyes looks pretty damn tough.

Then again, ISU has made everyone look pretty damn good thie year, including such fan favorites as Iona, who I will be pulling for if they can lock down the MAAC.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 11:43 AM)
I honestly think OU  beating UT was an abberation. The Texas team I have witnessed with my own eyes looks pretty damn tough.

Then again, ISU has made everyone look pretty damn good thie year, including such fan favorites as Iona, who I will be pulling for if they can lock down the MAAC.

I don't think OU or Colorado are any good either, but with their records right now I'll give them a chance I suppose. The only 2 teams I consider capable of winning an NCAA tournament game in the Big 12 are Kansas and Texas.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 11:44 AM)
I don't think OU or Colorado are any good either, but with their records right now I'll give them a chance I suppose.  The only 2 teams I consider capable of winning an NCAA tournament game in the Big 12 are Kansas and Texas.

Not bad considering most had us in the NIT 2 weeks ago.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 11:45 AM)
Not bad considering most had us in the NIT 2 weeks ago.

Those people hadn't looked at your schedule. And your capable of winning an NCAA Tournament game.....but not 2 IMO. No way KU could beat a 2 or 3 seed (or heck, even a 1) on a neutral floor.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 11:49 AM)
Those people hadn't looked at your schedule.  And your capable of winning an NCAA Tournament game.....but not 2 IMO.  No way KU could beat a 2 or 3 seed (or heck, even a 1) on a neutral floor.

ESPN is calling, they would love you to replace I got stung by a bumble in my mouth Mike Patrick.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 11:44 AM)
I don't think OU or Colorado are any good either, but with their records right now I'll give them a chance I suppose.  The only 2 teams I consider capable of winning an NCAA tournament game in the Big 12 are Kansas and Texas.

Well, maybe, just maybe if ISU could win all their remaining road games, because they are a total abberation this year. 6-5 at home, 3-1 neutral and 3-1 road. This same team snapped a 28 game conference road streak last year and have now won something like 6 of their last 8 road games.

Too bad Hilton's no house of horrors.

I'm projecting the Big 12 to fall as such:

1. UT

2. OU

3. KU

4. CU

----(NCAA above the line, NIT below)

5. NU/ISU

7. Texas Tech

8. Missouri

9. Texas A&M/Kansas State

11. Oklahoma State

12. Baylor

5 and 9 would come down to tiebreakers. Not trying to be a homer, but a lot depends on how ISU comes out of their bye week. If theyc ould knock of CU on SBS, it shakes things up a lot near that bye line.