Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 09:55 PM)
You could always, you know, rebutt my legitmate points.  But I figured not, wouldn't expect that out an Indiana fan (who I find it ironic that an Indiana fan of all people would tell somebody to go back into their hole).

I'm not an Indiana fan. I cheer for them since I went to school there. But they are not my "team."

Your points aren't legitimate.

However you slice it, Villanova is not a better job than IU.

Not now, not 20 years from now, not ever.

Basketball is everything at Indiana.

What has Villanova done to make it such a great job? Hell they haven't won a title in 20 years if that is what you want to base things on.

Just because they are having a good year or two here and there doesn't make it a great job.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 06:59 PM)
Well yeah, Indiana trumps Villanova if they are both going well.  But Indiana isn't going well right now, and haven't been going well for 4 years.  And while 4 years isn't all that long, it's enough time to fall way behind on the recruiting trail.

Was Villanova doing that well before this coach got started there?

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 09:59 PM)
Well yeah, Indiana trumps Villanova if they are both going well.  But Indiana isn't going well right now, and haven't been going well for 4 years.  And while 4 years isn't all that long, it's enough time to fall way behind on the recruiting trail.

Hence, the coaching change. And starting all over. Indiana would have no problem getting there again. This isn't Harvard and Yale dominating in the early 1900s and never regaining that.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 09:38 PM)
I honestly don't care.  Making the tournament doesn't do much good.  We have higher expectations than that.  Making the tournament is not a goal, it should be expected with our history.  Hence, Mike Davis is sitting on a seat of fire.

Maybe IU can win the NIT by beating Kentucky in the Championship Game. Beating UK twice in one season would be some consolation. :)

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 09:01 PM)
I'd really like to know what team this guy is cheering for.

Let me guess, Illinois and their basketball rich tradition.

(SNB and Krush, please forgive.)  :P

Yep, he's an an Illini fan, whatever that has to do with anything...

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 10:02 PM)
Yep, he's an an Illini fan, whatever that has to do with anything...

It's just funny that he would find it appropriate to point out that IU hasn't won a title in 19 years.

That's just funny to me, you know, coming from a fan of a school that's never won one.

But maybe that's just me.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 07:03 PM)
Haha, that would keep me on the "keep Davis bandwagon".

They move corpses in bandwagons these days?

I was saying "Give Davis 1 more year" at the end of last year. I'm not saying that any more. That says something, I think.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 09:45 PM)
Ahh vaguely.  That 1993-1995 era is when I first really was getting into sports (age 7-9) but I don't have a full memory of everything.  I've been hooked on college football since the Colorado/Michigan hail mary game in 1994 and I remember being glad that Arkansas beat Duke to win the NCAA title.  :bang

Ah, back in my gambling days... That stupid hail mary pass by Kordell Stewart took me from winning $50 to losing $55 in a matter of seconds.

I cleaned up in the NCAA Tournament that year, winning several times betting Arkansas, including said Duke game.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 10:05 PM)
Book marking this post for 15 years from now  :pray  :D

With Weber in there, they'll win one I think.

At least I hope for you guys.

I'm not dogging ILL, just proving a point to your fellow fan.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 10:05 PM)
They move corpses in bandwagons these days?

I was saying "Give Davis 1 more year" at the end of last year.  I'm not saying that any more.  That says something, I think.

Yeah, I was behind him until the Minnesota game. It's impossible to defend him anymore.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 09:01 PM)
Hence, the coaching change.  And starting all over.  Indiana would have no problem getting there again.  This isn't Harvard and Yale dominating in the early 1900s and never regaining that.

Of course they should get a new coach. My point is that 5 banners acquired a long time ago doesn't make Indiana a better job than Villanova. Indiana has a WAY better history than Villanova in basketball, but that doesn't make it a better job right now. Jay Wright is in a great situation at an east coast school in a great conference and city to recruit, a move to Indiana right now is a lateral move for Wright IMO and I don't see why he'd do it.

But of course, the 5 banners in the rafters means any coach would leave any school other than UNC, UCLA, Duke, and Kentucky to go to Indiana without a 2nd thought, regardless of what their current situation is.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 10:06 PM)
Yeah, I was behind him until the Minnesota game.  It's impossible to defend him anymore.

He is best served as an assistant coach.

I've always believed that.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 10:07 PM)
Who the hell is Aaron Andrews???

Since Jason likes men, he didn't realize that its actually spelled Erin Andrews.

He was too busy daydreaming of Aaron Rowand, that's how the Aaron spelling snuck in there.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 10:07 PM)
He is best served as an assistant coach.

I've always believed that.

If he only we could keep him on board as just that, but that's not possible or real. We could keep getting the players he's capable of getting, and have a real motivator.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 09:04 PM)
It's just funny that he would find it appropriate to point out that IU hasn't won a title in 19 years.

That's just funny to me, you know, coming from a fan of a school that's never won one. 

But maybe that's just me.

Indiana has a better basketball history than Illinois by a mile, but that still doesn't mean it is a better job than Illinois right now. You seem to think that great basketball history automatically makes Indiana a top 5 job in America, but it really doesn't work that way. Duke is a great job because they won it all twice in the 90's, but they after that kept it up, winning it again in 2001, and are in the final 4 and top 5 in the polls practically every freaking year, for example.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 10:09 PM)
If he only we could keep him on board as just that, but that's not possible or real.  Keep getting the players he's capable of getting, and have a real motivator.

Great recruiter.

As far as game planning, one of the worst there is out there.

There's an article set to appear tomorrow by a journalist I know :P that makes some good points about Davis.

I'll send you linkage tomorrow.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 10:11 PM)
Indiana has a better basketball history than Illinois by a mile, but that still doesn't mean it is a better job than Illinois right now.  You seem to think that great basketball history automatically makes Indiana a top 5 job in America, but it really doesn't work that way.  Duke is a great job because they won it all twice in the 90's, but they after that kept it up, winning it again in 2001, and are in the final 4 and top 5 in the polls practically every freaking year, for example.

Just out of curiousity, what type of job is Michigan State?