Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 01:37 PM)
:D I actually root for the Illini and for the most part all big 10 teams, especially come tourney time.  I remember going nuts during that run against AZ.  Definately the best comeback and one of the funnest college basketball games in my lifetime.

I do hate Indiana though.

I started out crying in my seat at the game, then eventually ended up like you

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 11:41 AM)
No surprise.  You hate everything to do with the state.  You hate Peyton, Reggie, and IU.

I only hate Peyton. I have nothing against Reggie Miller or Reggie Wayne (don't know which one your talking about).

Oh and hate isn't a strong enough word...I think despise is better when it comes to Peyton :D

IOWA>>>>>Indiana (I'm referring to states).

Come on the Iowa Cubs...now thats a team.

Edit: It should be noted that I actually don't mind the Pacers. I like Jermaine O'Neal a lot and was dumb enough to pick them to win the NBA Title last year (but Artest had to go nuts).

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 11:52 AM)
#10 in both polls, I refuse to accept that I'm watching the #10 team in America.  I love the Illini, but it's not possible.

Defense...defense...defense

I am officially declaring myself wrong on MSU. They will not make noise in the NCAA's. The Illini just may.

One of my best buds goes to Indiana, and for the most part (except the occasional old banner pointing) Indiana fans are cool. The only teams I dislike in the Big 10 are tOSU and UM (the favorable treatment and cheating they get away with is amazing) and Iowa (it's no coincidence so many Cubs fans are from that state).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 01:52 PM)
Defense...defense...defense

I am officially declaring myself wrong on MSU.  They will not make noise in the NCAA's.  The Illini just may.

If our role players would show up every game, I'd agree. They are too damn inconsistent though. As for MSU, Izzo can't even work the magic this year. That team is too damn soft.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 11:53 AM)
One of my best buds goes to Indiana, and for the most part (except the occasional old banner pointing) Indiana fans are cool.  The only teams I dislike in the Big 10 are tOSU and UM (the favorable treatment and cheating they get away with is amazing) and Iowa (it's no coincidence so many Cubs fans are from that state).

Well the two greatest admins have ties to Iowa (Heads and myself), even though we are outnumbered drastically by Boz, Greasy, 2k, and Kap.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 02:22 PM)
That's not a terrible bracket for us, i'd take that. Hopefully we can do well enough the rest of the way so we can get a 3 and avoid the 4/5 game and the 1 vs 4/5 game, that's my hope.

That's definitely a good draw for the Illini. They match up fairly well with the Sooners and Pitt. They can definitely make the Elite 8 if they get that draw.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 11:55 AM)
Again my dislike for Iowa, like the Cubs, doesn't indict the entire fan base.  My own father is a Cubs fan (although mind you, one of the few that has a clue) and I don't hold that against him....for the most part.

Its alright.....we will poison your corn in our Iowa conspiracy to take over the world. It will all start when Alford leads a team of Hawkeyes to the National Championship :P

Coincidentally it will also be the day that Heads ends his life.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 01:58 PM)
Its alright.....we will poison your corn in our Iowa conspiracy to take over the world.  It will all start when Alford leads a team of Hawkeyes to the National Championship  :P

Haha. Yeah my dislike for Iowa is purely based on a certain large group of their fanbase. It's nothing compared to my thoughts on tOSU and UM, I honestly can say I probably dislike those 2 schools more than even Duke basketball.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 12:00 PM)
Haha.  Yeah my dislike for Iowa is purely based on a certain large group of their fanbase.  It's nothing compared to my thoughts on tOSU and UM, I honestly can say I probably dislike those 2 schools more than even Duke basketball.

I do give Duke credit for one thing. I can't ever remember them having any sort of NCAA violations. At least under Coach K.

Its also why I always had a lot of respect for Stanford's programs. They can't just bring in any talented guy they want, they have to also have high acedemic marks (same with my favorite football team...ND).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 03:03 PM)
I do give Duke credit for one thing.  I can't ever remember them having any sort of NCAA violations.  At least under Coach K. 

Its also why I always had a lot of respect for Stanford's programs.  They can't just bring in any talented guy they want, they have to also have high acedemic marks (same with my favorite football team...ND).

Corey Maggette took money from a booster, so Duke had to forfeit the money they won for finishing 2nd in 1999. That's not really Coach K's fault though.

Stanford's requirements are higher than most schools, but they're not ridiculously high. Josh Childress was accepted with a 1250 SAT and like a 3.7 GPA. I know that's still above average and precludes them from taking maybe half of the top 100, but it's nowhere near their normal standards.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 01:58 PM)
Its alright.....we will poison your corn in our Iowa conspiracy to take over the world.  It will all start when Alford leads a team of Hawkeyes to the National Championship  :P

Jason, i don't understand you. You live in freaking California, and all you do is talk about how great the state of Iowa is (Even though it sucks). I have no idea why you are wasting your time with that state, this is just ridiculous. It's like someone talking about their sweet tricycle when they have a Lexus in the garage.

I have to LOL when I see announcers or others mention Duke along with other Ivy league schools, especially when it comes to basketball. Duke's basketball team is actually right in the middle of the ACC SAT wise, around 1030 combined most years. Duke's average student body is around 1350-1400. Sean Dockery on the other hand made it into Duke with an SAT of around 900.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 04:00 PM)
And shows up to Soxfest without a beard. I see the kid maybe twice a year, and he has no beard. SnB and i were greatly disappointed.

His parents made him clean up since he was going to be in public is the explanation I got.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
I have to LOL when I see announcers or others mention Duke along with other Ivy league schools, especially when it comes to basketball. Duke's basketball team is actually right in the middle of the ACC SAT wise, around 1030 combined most years. Duke's average student body is around 1350-1400. Sean Dockery on the other hand made it into Duke with an SAT of around 900.

I'm still amazed that Corey Maggette got in. He went to a good high school, but he wasn't exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer. They definitely let the team's grades slide a bit there if they have to, although they have had a few fairly smart players, and they try to have their guys go to summer school so they can get their degree in 3 years (although typically they all major in sociology, I'm not sure what that's going to do for them).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 01:37 PM)
:D I actually root for the Illini and for the most part all big 10 teams, especially come tourney time.  I remember going nuts during that run against AZ.  Definately the best comeback and one of the funnest college basketball games in my lifetime.

I do hate Indiana though.

Best sporting event that Ive ever been to that was not the World Series. Absolutely Amazing night... I'll always refer to this game as the Deron Williams game. My head scaved the Allstate Arena roof when that game was over (not kidding, we had the top row) Meeting Bill Murray and overall just basking in the glory of a Final Four birth was nothing short of incredible to witness. If this march sees a game half as good as that was, we'll be in for a real treat.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 09:17 PM)
Best sporting event that Ive ever been to that was not the World Series.  Absolutely Amazing night... I'll always refer to this game as the Deron Williams game.  My head scaved the Allstate Arena roof when that game was over (not kidding, we had the top row) Meeting Bill Murray and overall just basking in the glory of a Final Four birth was nothing short of incredible to witness.  If this march sees a game half as good as that was, we'll be in for a real treat.

and this from a kansas fan. ;)

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 03:25 PM)
and this from a kansas fan. ;)

Hey, I speak the truth.... It was the finest college basketball game that Ive ever witnessed. Illinois should have the trophy right now if they didnt die by the 3 so badly in the title game. Besides May, Illinois had the talent and should have won that game. Ive never been so jacked in March in my life, and that even after a first round loss to Bucknell. Just because Bill Self is the Kansas head coach, and Illini faithful love to hate them, doesnt mean I have to hate Illinois. I am actually very fond of their program and future. This March may be a little shaky for them, but I really appreciate the way theyve re-built their program into a potenital perrinal powerhouse. Theyve come a long way from their 'bruising ball' with Lucas Johnson. Things have worked out fairly well for the Illini faithful considering nothing can be taken for grnated in college hoops over this past decade. Self made the table, Weber has done a fine job in serving the meal thus far.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 12:15 PM)
Corey Maggette took money from a booster, so Duke had to forfeit the money they won for finishing 2nd in 1999. That's not really Coach K's fault though.

Stanford's requirements are higher than most schools, but they're not ridiculously high. Josh Childress was accepted with a 1250 SAT and like a 3.7 GPA. I know that's still above average and precludes them from taking maybe half of the top 100, but it's nowhere near their normal standards.

True thats not there standards, but thats a pretty damn impressive GPA none-the-less. I bet ND/Stanford and those type of programs all combined have more bright students with high GPA's than most of the big 10 and other major conference schools combined.

No knock, but its something that I think should be respected.