Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides the others that have already been mentioned in this thread, the 3 other auto bids that have been handed out today are: Southern from the swac, Hampton(heads favoritey team) from the meac, and kent state from the mac. Two more auto's go out tonight in the Wac where Nevada is leading Utah State by 3 with 7 and a half left; also the mountain west title game between san diego state and wyoming is just under way.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 06:34 PM)
You know whose really playing great right now..UCLA.  I realize they are beating up on the down pac 10 conference but they are playing strong defensively and the team has grown a lot and responded well to all the injuries. 

Plus Ben Howland is a very good head coach.  The only thing is they'll need to get Bozeman back healthy.  I'm putting them down as an elite 8 team.

I am not a fan of UCLA at all. Not only are they in a s***ty conference, they lost to Washington twice, and the best team they beat in non-conference play is probably a toss-up between Nevada and Michigan. They rely very heavily on Afflalo and Farmar, and if one of them has a bad game they are probably done. Mbah A Moute is passable but far from stellar, and Bozeman is really only useful as a defender. Honestly, their offensive options are weaker than Illinois', and their defense isn't as solid. They'll get out of the first round, but I'd guess they'll go down to the 6 seed they'll probably play in the second round.

They should be a beast next year though, with another year of experience and Shipp coming back from injury.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 01:15 AM)
Nebraska and Wake were soundly beaten today, Nevada defeated Utah State, San Diego State defeated Wyoming, and Pacific defeated Long Beach State.  Good day for the bubble teams.

Yup. One spoiler left, there will be a lot of Florida fans tomorrow.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 08:48 PM)
I am not a fan of UCLA at all. Not only are they in a s***ty conference, they lost to Washington twice, and the best team they beat in non-conference play is probably a toss-up between Nevada and Michigan. They rely very heavily on Afflalo and Farmar, and if one of them has a bad game they are probably done. Mbah A Moute is passable but far from stellar, and Bozeman is really only useful as a defender. Honestly, their offensive options are weaker than Illinois', and their defense isn't as solid. They'll get out of the first round, but I'd guess they'll go down to the 6 seed they'll probably play in the second round.

They should be a beast next year though, with another year of experience and Shipp coming back from injury.

Statistically speaking, UCLA is one of the best defenses in the country. There adjusted defensive efficiency is 8th in the country. Shockingly Iowa is 2nd in the country . Kansas is #1.

Thats from some stat website I was looking at. So I'm going to totally disagree with where you knock UCLA's defense. They will be in the elite 8.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 03:17 AM)
An interesting tidbit, might not mean anything but you never know: George Mason's AD is on the selection committee, who right now sits squarely on the bubble.

Some say it certainly helped Northern Iowa last year.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 12, 2006 -> 07:19 AM)
Some say it certainly helped Northern Iowa last year.

I was thinking last year was when Iowa's AD was one of the higher ups and he had to leave when discussions came up in regards to his team (maybe it was the year before that though)???