Official College Basketball Thread

Frasor 7 points, 4 assists, and looked like he should be the starting PG on the year. Much more comfortable than the 2nd year Quentin Thomas.

Also, Greasy, who will play the 5 for IU this year? Killingsworth with White at the 4? Or will they split time at the 4?

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 11:57 PM)
Frasor 7 points, 4 assists, and looked like he should be the starting PG on the year. Much more comfortable than the 2nd year Quentin Thomas.

Also, Greasy, who will play the 5 for IU this year? Killingsworth with White at the 4? Or will they split time at the 4?

When they were both on the floor tonight, it looked as if Killingsworth was the 5. That looks like something that could go either way.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 05:19 AM)
Is there any talk that IU will try to run more this year with added depth? I know coach K saw what Roy did last year and will try to mimmick it this year.

Yes if they have a PG that can drive the offense that way. Monroe is steady, but I am not sure where his abilities fall in terms of pushing the ball. Calloway may be more suited toward that. With two new PG's, I think they will need to learn to crawl before they can walk.

The team is loaded with talent, but also loaded with newcomers. It will take time to blend them into a TEAM. It just better not take too much time. lol

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 12:19 AM)
Is there any talk that IU will try to run more this year with added depth? I know coach K saw what Roy did last year and will try to mimmick it this year.

Yep, that's the plan big time. Here's an article from the school newspaper speaking of that.

http://www.idsnews.com/subsite/story.php?i...317&adid=sports

Ready to run

Transition offense will be on display Friday against St. Joseph's

By Andy Romey  | Indiana Daily Student | Friday, November 04, 2005

IU coach Mike Davis has long said he wants to construct a transition game, but he just hasn't had the tools to build it. In years past, preseason plans to pick up the pace have generally been foiled as the season unraveled.

But this year, he has reason to believe otherwise. Davis' blueprint for a high-tempo offense finally has its pieces in place, and the show is set to begin at 8 p.m. tonight against Saint Joseph's College (Ind.) in Assembly Hall.

"You play according to your personnel, and our personnel is athletic and fast, so we're really going to try to push the ball up the court," Davis said. "Before we really didn't have the pieces to go up and down the court because the minutes were so limited with our personnel, and now we have backup guys who could start."

A key addition to this year's personnel comes to the Hoosiers from Georgia Perimeter Junior College. Junior guard Earl Calloway is expected to provide an important piece to the transition puzzle -- speed.

"He's quick as lightning," sophomore forward D.J. White said. "He can push the ball up and down the court. That's what we're trying to do this year."

Calloway joins a guard pool rich with capable ball handlers. Senior guard Lewis Monroe is the named starter after proving himself for three seasons at Auburn, including a 12 point, no turnover performance against eventual champion Syracuse in the 2003 Sweet 16. Senior Marshall Strickland will start at off-guard but spent the past two seasons playing at the point.

"I think (having so many potential point guards) helps our transition game a ton," Strickland said. "One guy doesn't always have to come back and get the ball."

But the guards won't be the only instrumental pieces to the running game. The offense all starts with the big guys rebounding and concludes with them underneath the basket at the other end.

"We've got to rebound the ball first, not be too lazy and get the ball up the court quick," Davis said. "You don't need to run and shoot that jump shot, you need to run and try to get it inside."

Strickland said he is confident in his frontcourt's transition ability.

"Marco (Killingsworth) can really run the floor ... D.J. (White), he's starting to learn from Marco, actually," Strickland said. "The way Marco gets up and down the floor first is better than any big guy in the Big Ten."

Killingsworth and White aren't the only big men capable of running. Freshman forward Cem Dinc, at 6-foot-10, 240 pounds ran the 100-meter dash in 10.8 seconds. And freshman Ben Allen has been described as a wingman in a center's disguise.

"Ben is like Dirk (Nowitzki). He's 6'10", and you can't block his shots," Killingsworth said. "He should lead our team in three-point percentage."

The running game, however, doesn't come without cost.

"They condition the hell out of us," Killingsworth said. "They always emphasize, 'DJ get down the court, DJ get down the court, Marco run under the post.' Every time I get a rebound, I hear (Davis') voice."

Davis said his squad is currently in the developmental stages of the transition offense, labeling what's going on now as "just trying to push the ball." He still remains realistic in his endeavor.

"Everybody wants to run in October, but when November and December roll around, you start playing against other people and all of a sudden running's not your thing," he said. "We want to run, but we don't want to run crazy and wild."

f*** f*** f*** f***...

Here is what I kind of mentioned, but wasn't sure on the details...

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti.../511050439/1069

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Forty minutes of pound-the-ball-inside, up-tempo, crowd-pleasing Indiana University basketball took on a somber tone late Friday night when it was learned that sophomore forward D.J. White might miss a minimum of six weeks with a stress fracture in his left foot.

White scored 13 points in 11 first-half minutes as the Hoosiers easily defeated St. Joseph's (Ind.) 93-65 in the exhibition opener at Assembly Hall.

But early in the first half, White fell awkwardly in the lane and began limping. He eventually came off the floor, but after sitting for a few minutes he insisted he was OK to go back in. He played another few minutes, scored a couple of baskets on turnaround jumpers, then came out.

X-rays were taken at halftime. After the game, the official comment from IU was that White "had a foot injury and would be out indefinitely.'' But two sources close to the IU program confirmed the stress fracture, which could sideline White for 6-8 weeks.

After the game, White was hobbling on a soft cast, signing autographs for dozens of children, and doing his best to say all the right things. He said he didn't know the extent of the injury but believed he was going to be all right.

"It's just precautionary,'' White said. "I'm going to be OK.''

I must say, if DJ is out 6 weeks, we should have the depth to handle it this year. DJ did score 13 last night, and he didn't touch the court in the 2nd. However, you couldn't really tell. The offense was looking awesome last night. The Bracey Wright offense is extinct. Our players move.

It obviously hurts to lose a guy like DJ for an extended period of time, because he can't do anything but make your team better. However, this year, I think this team can overcome an injury like this and still come out alright.

Damn, I was just about to post that article on DJ when I saw you already had it covered.

Perhaps in the long run it could help by giving some of the new players a chance to grow. But this is not the season for "perhaps" or patience. Excuses aren't going to work, so I hope we can get through this early and still win.

Like greasy said

f*** f*** f***!!!

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 08:36 AM)
Damn, I was just about to post that article on DJ when I saw you already had it covered. 

Perhaps in the long run it could help by giving some of the new players a chance to grow.  But this is not the season for "perhaps" or patience.  Excuses aren't going to work, so I hope we can get through this early and still win.

Like greasy said

f*** f*** f***!!!

Like I said in the earlier one though, they really didn't miss a beat. Hopefully, the depth of this team will pay off huge. All the new guys looked great. Calloway and Monroe makes it look like we'll finally have a real PG. Killingsworth and the two foreigners (Allen and Dinc) looked sharp. Also, Sean Kline was a presence last night with 13. He looked to bulk up with a little muscle since the last I've seen him, and he could even be a solid option down low.

We certainly got the personnel this year.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 01:02 PM)
f*** f*** f*** f***...

Here is what I kind of mentioned, but wasn't sure on the details...

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti.../511050439/1069

that sucks for indiana. white is a nice player, but i do agree they have better depth to handle something like this now.

Outside of the Duke game, you guys should be ok, especially if he can return for the Kentucky game. That leaves him 35 days or 5 weeks to heal, who knows how fast or slow of a healer he might be. Outside of that, you guys should need him for Charlotte 9 days later.

I could see a 5-2 start and him returning for Charlotte, which would still leave you guys in good position. Then you would likely be 8-2 or 7-3 heading into Big Ten play.

This is all assuming you lose to Kentucky, who is actually pretty vulnerable inside to Killingsworth etc if Morris doesn't return.

Damn Greasy tough tough break. No matter how much depth you have losing a 1st - Team B10 guy will hurt.

Although looking at your schedule anyone until 11/30. So the loss of DJ may not cost you that much. Fortunately for you, your non-con is no where near where it was last year.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 04:32 PM)
Outside of the Duke game, you guys should be ok, especially if he can return for the Kentucky game. That leaves him 35 days or 5 weeks to heal, who knows how fast or slow of a healer he might be. Outside of that, you guys should need him for Charlotte 9 days later.

I could see a 5-2 start and him returning for Charlotte, which would still leave you guys in good position. Then you would likely be 8-2 or 7-3 heading into Big Ten play.

This is all assuming you lose to Kentucky, who is actually pretty vulnerable inside to Killingsworth etc if Morris doesn't return.

phf, I'd take that in a heartbeat. I'd even be happy to lose to someone else if we could find a way to beat Kentucky. I'm tired of losing to those f***ers!!

Pardon my french.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 04:50 PM)
ESPN is also saying just 2 weeks...they're saying the "Stress Fracture" tests were inconclusive.

Hmmm...why am I thinking of another mythical foot stress fracture starting a drive towards a championship right now?

:)

Hopefully these are more accurate results. I just saw this, and this would mean he'd be back in more than enough time for Duke. Ratliff should be back by then too.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
I'm sure those reports are more recent.  The Indy Star story was done after last night's game for this morning's paper.  I'll still hold my breath a bit, but that is encouraging to say the least.

The 2 week report is certainly more recent. I am still personally troubled though by the fact that the word "Inconclusive" is still being used abotu the stress fracture. MRI scheduled for Monday.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 05:33 PM)
The 2 week report is certainly more recent.  I am still personally troubled though by the fact that the word "Inconclusive" is still being used abotu the stress fracture.  MRI scheduled for Monday.

My friend is majoring in Athletic Training, and by the way we saw him running in the first half, she immediately thought stress fracture too. That was the initial reports too.

Hopefully this is just a Mark Buehrle break, and it's just not as bad as anyone thought. We'll soon find out.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 02:40 PM)
My friend is majoring in Athletic Training, and by the way we saw him running in the first half, she immediately thought stress fracture too.  That was the initial reports too. 

Hopefully this is just a Mark Buehrle break, and it's just not as bad as anyone thought.  We'll soon find out.

Buehrle's wasn't actually a stress fracture. They still don't have a clue waht it was, but it wasn't a stress fracture.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 05:41 PM)
Buehrle's wasn't actually a stress fracture.  They still don't have a clue waht it was, but it wasn't a stress fracture.

Yeah, I know. I'm just saying how we thought we lost Buehrle for a month at least, due to a broken foot. No one knew how that ended up getting out in the press like that, but he was back out there right away.

Here's hoping DJ White gets the "Mark Buehrle break."

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 10:40 PM)
My friend is majoring in Athletic Training, and by the way we saw him running in the first half, she immediately thought stress fracture too.  That was the initial reports too. 

Hopefully this is just a Mark Buehrle break, and it's just not as bad as anyone thought.  We'll soon find out.

Hell I thought DJ ran like he had a broken foot the first time I saw him play in his senior year of HS. He runs well, but somewhat awkwardly, normally. Didn't see him last night though.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 06:58 PM)
Hell I thought DJ ran like he had a broken foot the first time I saw him play in his senior year of HS.  He runs well, but somewhat awkwardly, normally.  Didn't see him last night though.

Yeah, that was another thing. I always noticed that last year, that he almost always walks like he's hurt. However, it did look a little worse and more noticable last night.

My roomy, who's a mananger, said they were trying to pinpoint on when this could have happened on the tapes, and they couldn't, since he's ALWAYS ran like that.

At least it sounds like things are better than they initially were. I'd love to have DJ and AJ both back in the lineup for the Duke game.