Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 12:04 PM)
Coach Self is really showing his true colors now.  Best recruiter in nation has the best field goal percentage on defense, and has installed a running system, similiar to Roy Boy's.

Self's true colors were shown last year when you lost to Bucknell in the first round.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe it or not, ISU's defense makes EVERYONE look really good. They have an effectiveFG% defense that ranks 298th in the nation.

Kansas will not challenge Texas for s***. Despite the OU loss they are still way ahead of anyone else in the league.

Illinois @ Wisconsin tonight at 6:00 on ESPN.

If there's one game that Randle has to stay out of foul trouble in it's this one. He needs to stay on the floor to guard Tucker. All Wisconsin really has on offense is Tucker and Taylor, so if Randle is out there most of the game it will help a ton. Wisconsin also doesn't shoot too many threes, so we should be able to focus on our defense inside.

Dee has to have a good shooting game on the road for once (i don't count NW, not a good team/hostile environment). I expect this to be a low scoring game for sure. If we can pull out this win, we probably have a good a shot as anyone to win the Big Ten. I think we have to win one of at Wisky, at OSU, and at MSU to really have a chance to win it, and i think this is the best opportunity. A win would just be so huge. Should be a gritty game.

Also, think Wilkinson's girlfriend will be constantly shown tonight even though he graduated?

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 06:20 PM)
Illinois @ Wisconsin tonight at 6:00 on ESPN.

If there's one game that Randle has to stay out of foul trouble in it's this one. He needs to stay on the floor to guard Tucker. All Wisconsin really has on offense is Tucker and Taylor, so if Randle is out there most of the game it will help a ton. Wisconsin also doesn't shoot too many threes, so we should be able to focus on our defense inside.

Dee has to have a good shooting game on the road for once (i don't count NW, not a good team/hostile environment).  I expect this to be a low scoring game for sure. If we can pull out this win, we probably have a good a shot as anyone to win the Big Ten. I think we have to win one of at Wisky, at OSU, and at MSU to really have a chance to win it, and i think this is the best opportunity. A win would just be so huge. Should be a gritty game.

Also, think Wilkinson's girlfriend will be constantly shown tonight even though he graduated?

a lot of action on the illini so far. the line moved from wisky -2.5 to a pick em.

Wisconsin really needs Ray Nixon or Brian Butch to step up tonight and score some points.

I hope Wisconsin learned a lesson from the Michigan game and comes out attacking with Taylor and Tucker.

Should be a good game, Im not all that confident because of Wisconsin's recent depth problems, but I think Taylor may come out and really start to take the game over. After Grahm knocked him out in the Michigan game he really started to turn it on.

And hopefully they dont show Wilkinson's gf, its just wierd now. And the Kohl Center should be pretty loud.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 12:15 PM)
Self's true colors were shown last year when you lost to Bucknell in the first round.

That was not Self's team. Any smart fan knows that those seniors did not run his system correctly.

They had no perimeter shooters or perimeter defense. Also, the Christian Moody experiemnt made me want to scream.

Coach Weber will show his true colors when Self's recruits are gone...Without Dee this team would be well below .500.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 06:27 PM)
I know a lot of you guys won't care because of the Illinois game but I'm pretty pissed that the pitt-uconn game is not on tv tonight.

i care. that is a big-time oversight by someone.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 01:27 PM)
Coach Weber will show his true colors when Self's recruits are gone...Without Dee this team would be well below .500.

And where would Kansas be right now without Kareem Rush? They have 6 losses with him, imagine where they'd be without their one legit scorer. Making the "take one player off the team and they suck" argument doesn't really mean anything because they are on the team and there are many teams that would be brutal without their best player.

Still, there's no way the Illini would be under .500. They had quite a few patsies in the pre-season, they still have bottom feeders like PSU, Purdue, and NU in conference, and they have a big enough home court advantage that they'd win a few games they shouldn't at home. While they will have a suspect team next year thanks to lackluster recruiting early in Weber's tenure, they should still be fighting for a tourney bid in a conference that won't be anywhere near as strong next year. After that it looks like he's starting to get some players. One more impact freshmen in the 2007 class and they should be right back to competing for the conference title.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 12:43 PM)
And where would Kansas be right now without Kareem Rush? They have 6 losses with him, imagine where they'd be without their one legit scorer. Making the "take one player off the team and they suck" argument doesn't really mean anything because they are on the team and there are many teams that would be brutal without their best player.

Still, there's no way the Illini would be under .500. They had quite a few patsies in the pre-season, they still have bottom feeders like PSU, Purdue, and NU in conference, and they have a big enough home court advantage that they'd win a few games they shouldn't at home. While they will have a suspect team next year thanks to lackluster recruiting early in Weber's tenure, they should still be fighting for a tourney bid in a conference that won't be anywhere near as strong next year. After that it looks like he's starting to get some players. One more impact freshmen in the 2007 class and they should be right back to competing for the conference title.

Without Kareem Rush, I dont know...Ask the bobcats.

Rush only takes an average of 10 shots a game, Chalmers and Robinson have been huge contributors as well.

I'm surprised it took this long for a Kansas vs. Illni flame to break out. I think it's pretty well proven that Weber can coach in games very well, and that Self can recruit very well. After that, things get a bit interesting...however I think Weber with guys like Carlwell and Gordon has shown the recruiting aspect of him is improving, and Self is beginning to show some signs of life by letting his team actually run. Interesting to say the least.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 12:47 PM)
I'm surprised it took this long for a Kansas vs. Illni flame to break out.  I think it's pretty well proven that Weber can coach in games very well, and that Self can recruit very well.  After that, things get a bit interesting...however I think Weber with guys like Carlwell and Gordon has shown the recruiting aspect of him is improving, and Self is beginning to show some signs of life by letting his team actually run.  Interesting to say the least.

That was highly intelligent comment. :drink :drink :drink

Very very well said.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 12:47 PM)
Jamar Smith and Chester Frazier do not scare me in a backcourt and Pruit and whoever else they have down low is not at all scary.

Dont put all your eggs in the eric gordon basket.

Every play goes thru Dee Brown, and withouth him on the floor, this team is just good.

Watching the games is always a good idea, although as a KU fan, I understand why you wouldn't. Frazier runs the point much better than Dee Brown does (yes I know that will get me flamed among Illini nation, but it's true). Chester can't shoot at all, and hopefully he works on that, but he runs the show at point VERY well, and Dee's best play this year has been when he slides off the ball and Chet runs the point. Jamar Smith is still 53 percent from beyond the arc, and improving defensively (although he needs to diversify his offensive game).

Shaun Pruitt's biggest problem is we don't give him the damn ball NEARLY enough, but that's a different argument. I have no concern about the future, it may take a few years to get Final Four good again, but we will compete for the Big Ten every year as long as Bruce is around. And if you have ever seen Eric Gordon, you understand why I'm so excited about him.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 12:51 PM)
Watching the games is always a good idea, although as a KU fan, I understand why you wouldn't.  Frazier runs the point much better than Dee Brown does (yes I know that will get me flamed among Illini nation, but it's true).  Chester can't shoot at all, and hopefully he works on that, but he runs the show at point VERY well, and Dee's best play this year has been when he slides off the ball and Chet runs the point.  Jamar Smith is still 53 percent from beyond the arc, and improving defensively (although he needs to diversify his offensive game).

Shaun Pruitt's biggest problem is we don't give him the damn ball NEARLY enough, but that's a different argument.  I have no concern about the future, it may take a few years to get Final Four good again, but we will compete for the Big Ten every year as long as Bruce is around.  And if you have ever seen Eric Gordon, you understand why I'm so excited about him.

I am just as excited about Cole Alrdich, and probably Travis Relaford.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 12:56 PM)
I am just as excited about Cole Alrdich, and probably Travis Relaford.

Aldrich is scary good, Josh McRoberts like raw ability, although white guys always make me nervous as a basketball fan. Relaford is a lock to KU though, and he's a lights out guaranteed stud.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 12:58 PM)
Aldrich is scary good, Josh McRoberts like raw ability, although white guys always make me nervous as a basketball fan.  Relaford is a lock to KU though, and he's a lights out guaranteed stud.

I totallly forgot Mr. Chicago, Sherron Collins..He is going to be so so good.

Relaford just transferred high schools, should fit in nicely at KU haha

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 01:00 PM)
I totallly forgot Mr. Chicago, Sherron Collins..He is going to be so so good.

Relaford just transferred high schools, should fit in nicely at KU haha

Those CPL guys are never a sure thing, but Collins is pretty damn close. However I predict Collins struggles as a freshman, he has through the roof raw talent and no discipline, and Self HATES guys like that. As he gets into the flow though, he will be quite a player. Sucks that the CPL coaches hate Bruce, although it's definitely not his fault, so I can't really blame him.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 01:47 PM)
Brandon. ;)

I can't believe I did that! :bang

Anyways, next year looks fairly bad for the Illini unless some guys develop fairly quickly. I won't argue that things don't look bleak. As of right now I have no idea who is going to be their major scorer. They'll need some guys to step up big time.

I'm not just talking about recruiting with 2007 however. They should have some other fairly solid players with some experience. Unless some wierd things happen Randle, Pruitt, and Smith should all be fairly solid players, and Carlwell might be a pretty good big man in his second year. That's not even counting the guys we haven't really seen much of yet. On top of that, Gordon is an impact freshmen that could lead the team in scoring. If they actually get Derrick Rose or another solid PG, they'll have a pretty good lineup. They could also add some other impact freshmen, who knows (at least according to rivals they seem to be involved on a lot of pretty good players).

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 07:03 PM)
Those CPL guys are never a sure thing, but Collins is pretty damn close.  However I predict Collins struggles as a freshman, he has through the roof raw talent and no discipline, and Self HATES guys like that.  As he gets into the flow though, he will be quite a player.  Sucks that the CPL coaches hate Bruce, although it's definitely not his fault, so I can't really blame him.

not all cpl coaches hate bruce. lamont bryant and anthony longstreet have had issues with him, but that's two of probably 65 or 70 coaches.

illinois has always had good relations with some coaches in the city, and not so great with others. it's no different than the sica, the catholic league or any other.