Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 11:25 PM)
Northwestern beats Charlotte. Huge win for them.

:D

I'm trying to not get too excited about my team. Vukusic isn't going to score 28 every game. We need to find other reliable scorers, and Thompson is going to have to stay on the floor and make a bigger impact when we get to Big Ten play.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 07:07 PM)
:D

I'm trying to not get too excited about my team. Vukusic isn't going to score 28 every game. We need to find other reliable scorers, and Thompson is going to have to stay on the floor and make a bigger impact when we get to Big Ten play.

that's still a helluva way to start the season.

Rumor is that Bob Huggins might coach Ohio University next year. Also, most of Cinci's recruits said that they will follow where Huggins goes since they have not signed LOIs let.

They should be a good team this year, probably again making the Big Dance. Also, next year they have the potential of getting better.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 02:19 PM)
that's still a helluva way to start the season.

It works for now. One of the Cats' big problems has been that they start in a hole going into the Big Ten season, losing to several teams that they shouldn't. They almost lost to Lehigh, who's decent for a mid-major, but is someone we should have handled a little more easily. It looks like we caught Charlotte on a bad game. Alexander was brutal, and Withers was only okay (that could be a problem for them in the future, cause I'm not so sure about the rest of their team). Hopefully we can get into the Big Ten season with only one or two losses (DePaul, Virginia, and Seton Hall scare me a little) so we can at least make the NIT, then maybe win a few we shouldn't in the Big Ten and steal a 9 seed. Luckily we catch a bit of a break with our Big Ten schedule. We only play MSU, Iowa, Indiana, and Michigan once, and after we play Illinois on the 15th of February we get OSU, Wisconsin, Penn State, OSU again, and Minnesota, giving us a chance to finish strong. I'd describe myself as extremely cautiously optomistic right now.

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 07:35 PM)
Rumor is that Bob Huggins might coach Ohio University next year. Also, most of Cinci's recruits said that they will follow where Huggins goes since they have not signed LOIs let.

They should be a good team this year, probably again making the Big Dance. Also, next year they have the potential of getting better.

you know, i read that, too. i'm just not all that certain that o'shea is going to be offered any big jobs after this year. i mean, i suppose if he takes the bobcats into the round of 16 he'll get looks, but this year they won't be sneaking up on anyone.

anyhow, it's funny how things change from one year to the next. last year at this time most ou fans were pining for the days of larry hunter and ready to run o'shea out of town on a rail. this year he's a hot coaching commodity. go figure.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 10:06 PM)
Check this out.

There's no way that duke team beats DePaul, and I was saddened to see scoop jackson, a supposed Chicagoan, choose duke.

Illinois is in this too, but they look to have no chance in their matchup against Georgetown.

The Greatest College Hoops Tourney

Where is Elton Brand for that Duke team? But I do think that DePaul team would definitely beat that Duke team if we are talking about their NBA merits, not how they played in college.

As for Illinois vs. Georgetown, while I think Georgetown would win at least 7 or 8 out of 10 it would be an interesting matchup because I think that Illinois squad would be able to run on Georgetown all day although they would have a very difficult time stopping Georgetown.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

Figures, one day after beating Charlotte NU is about to lose to UNC Wilmington. As I had said, they could struggle if they don't find a couple of other reliable scorers besides Vukusic. 23 for Vedran, 10 for Hachad, 6 for Doyle. That won't cut it.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 11:15 PM)
Where is Elton Brand for that Duke team?  But I do think that DePaul team would definitely beat that Duke team if we are talking about their NBA merits, not how they played in college.

As for Illinois vs. Georgetown, while I think Georgetown would win at least 7 or 8 out of 10 it would be an interesting matchup because I think that Illinois squad would be able to run on Georgetown all day although they would have a very difficult time stopping Georgetown.

That Duke team is a little funky. How can you have basically none of their recent stars like Brand, Battier, or Williams? They're making the squads based on college exploits, otherwise the rosters would be different. Regardless, DePaul has had some really good players. Mikan was a superstar, and Aguirre was a beast in college. It's hard to say though, it's all speculation. I think with the big 3 from the early 90's, Dawkins, Brand, Battier, and Williams, I'd like Duke a little more.

This isn't the first time this has been done either. It showed up in one of their magazines a while ago. They had UCLA beating UNC in the final, not 100% sure but I think the others of the Final Four were Kansas and Georgetown.

Edit- On further analysis, definitely DePaul. Aguirre and Mikan are among the best college players of all time, and they're bolstered by Corzin, Cummings, Richardson, and Strickland. Pretty good if you ask me.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 02:53 PM)
Next Sunday, Iowa State plays something named Mountain State....should be interesting.

i'm almost positive we made up schools to put on our schedule this year

South dakota state? Is their even a south dakota U?

Texas Pan american?

blah.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 05:56 AM)
That Duke team is a little funky. How can you have basically none of their recent stars like Brand, Battier, or Williams? They're making the squads based on college exploits, otherwise the rosters would be different. Regardless, DePaul has had some really good players. Mikan was a superstar, and Aguirre was a beast in college. It's hard to say though, it's all speculation. I think with the big 3 from the early 90's, Dawkins, Brand, Battier, and Williams, I'd like Duke a little more.

This isn't the first time this has been done either. It showed up in one of their magazines a while ago. They had UCLA beating UNC in the final, not 100% sure but I think the others of the Final Four were Kansas and Georgetown.

Edit- On further analysis, definitely DePaul. Aguirre and Mikan are among the best college players of all time, and they're bolstered by Corzin, Cummings, Richardson, and Strickland. Pretty good if you ask me.

people forget how good strickland was. just another example of how being a huge douche will just ruin your professional rep.

QUOTE(Brian @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 09:44 AM)
Tribune Big Ten prediction

Personally, I think Michigan is going undefeated and winning it all.

Michigan is getting way too much respect in the predictions. Yes, they have a ton of talent, but Amaker has proven to be just like fellow former Dukie Quin Synder (although not nearly as dirty a recruiter or scumbag in general) in that he gets tons of good players, and does nothing with them.

But hey, I hope Michigan is real good and makes the tourney, another good big 10 team is nice, and I think the Big 10 is going to be LOADED this year.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)
Michigan is getting way too much respect in the predictions.  Yes, they have a ton of talent, but Amaker has proven to be just like fellow former Dukie Quin Synder (although not nearly as dirty a recruiter or scumbag in general) in that he gets tons of good players, and does nothing with them.

But hey, I hope Michigan is real good and makes the tourney, another good big 10 team is nice, and I think the Big 10 is going to be LOADED this year.

yeah, i was a little mystified by that. michigan way too high. iowa and ohio state too low.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 10:41 AM)
Michigan is getting way too much respect in the predictions.  Yes, they have a ton of talent, but Amaker has proven to be just like fellow former Dukie Quin Synder (although not nearly as dirty a recruiter or scumbag in general) in that he gets tons of good players, and does nothing with them.

Michigan has talent in the post this year that is not mentioned in that article. Petway, Hunter, and Sims were bright spots last year.

I think 3rd or 4th place finish is reasonable.

QUOTE(Brian @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 12:14 PM)
Michigan has talent in the post this year that is not mentioned in that article. Petway, Hunter, and Sims were bright spots last year.

I think 3rd or 4th place finish is reasonable.

Frankly, I think Michigan will do well. They had an awful lot of injuries last year, more than any team can handle and still be successful. Lester Abram played about 3 games, Daniel Horton played about 13, and Chris Hunter played maybe half the year. On talent alone, they match up with anyone in the conference. To be honest, the numbers for their guards the last two years look an awful lot like the Brown/Williams/Head trio going into last year (not saying they're gonna do the same thing, just stating facts) However, chemistry could be an issue with all of these guys back, and who knows with Amaker. He's really only had a good team for one year at Seton Hall, and all of his guys were freshmen that year.

I could easily see Michigan finishing in the top 5 in the conference and getting a 6 seed or higher.

Edited by ZoomSlowik