Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UConn in Bloomington, tomorrow at 1 on CBS. They are the second #1 ranked team to come to Assembly Hall; the first was Duke during the Big Ten/ACC.

Seth Davis is kar-azy.

We've got a shot, but not a big one. Marco's got to have a huge game. UConn's got a pretty ridiculous perimeter defense, and Marco's got to be a big enough presence to command the double team. And then he'll have to successfully get it out for the open look on the outside.

We're doing another "White-Out" in the crowd; the atmosphere will definitely be sick, especially if IU can make it a game. We've really got nothing to lose, being a non-conference game, but we've got a lot we could gain.

HoosiersSmiley.gifHoosiersSmiley.gifHoosiersSmiley.gifHoosiersSmiley.gif

That UConn/Indiana game comes down to focus. Indiana needs Marco t come out pissed off (which I think he will, he did the last time #1 visted town) and they also need UConn to start slow. If that happens, it's anybody's game, but at the same time I think UConn could blow away any team in the country if they played their ass off for 40 minutes, so that's always a risk.

Anyways, I'll be rooting for IU big time....hopefully they can firm up the Big 10's status as best league in the country.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I think the two keys for today's game are:

1. IU's defensive intensity. They have to come out and get after it, making UConn work for everything they get. Avoiding foul trouble while doing so would be nice.

2. Staying hydrated on offense. Okay, I am pulling a Clark Kellog here.... What I mean is they cannot have offensive droughts where they don't score for 4 or 5 minutes. Getting off to a good start and staying consistent on offense will be a big key.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 10:14 PM)
I'm not so sure that at least some Illini fans aren't getting a little cocky. The guys on this board have all been pretty sane and intelligent, but there are definitely others that aren't like that.

I spent four years down there, and my attitude towards the Illini was pretty neutral when I got on campus. After four years of hearing how great the Illini are, I've started rooting against them, and it wasn't just the drunken frat boys that ticked me off. Every time I tried to tell anyone that the team wasn't as good as they thought, people jumped on me, no matter how calm, reasonable, and logical I was in my argument. No one wanted to hear that the Elite 8 team wasn't going to win in all because they weren't even the best team in their bracket, or that the next year's team was highly suspect and might lose to ND in the second round, or that last year's team would eventually have some problems against better teams because of their dependence on the 3 and the relative lack of an inside prescence.

I suppose that probably happens at every school, it amazed me that I couldn't seem to find too many reasonable fans. If they make the Final Four again this year, I really think that a whole lot of Illini fans are going to take a pretty ridiculous attitude toward the team, and those people will probably overreact if they have an 18-20 win season next year like it appears that they will.

this post explains a lot.

i do agree that i was surprised at the level of cockiness adopted by some fans. however, i think that's also true of many fan bases who experience success.

i agree totally that people are going to overreact next year and i am in the minority that thinks 18-20 wins might be overestimating things. the pre-conference schedule is already shaping up as brutally tough, and it would not be surprising to me to see five or six non-con losses, which people will not be able to handle. the only saving grace could be the fact that the league in general will be down.

For anyone who is watching that is basically what SIU bball has looked like all year. Fantastic d, one of the best in the nation, we dont play offense at all, it takes about 20 seconds for us to even get into an offensive set. Also, Falker and Shaw in foul trouble as usual. Typical SIU basketball that first half.

Killingsworth sitting is really hurting. I agree with the announcers that without him, IU needs to slow down offensively.

UConn does make some damned tough shots though. I don't think the defense has dropped too much for IU during this UConn run, I just think they are shooting too quick on offense and UConn makes difficult shots.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 4, 2006 -> 01:04 PM)
Louisville hits a three at the buzzer to force overtime against Notre Dame.  SIU and Wichita State headed to OT as well.

Tatum hit a 3 to send our game into ot as well after almost turning the ball over.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Feb 4, 2006 -> 01:08 PM)
Witchita St./ So. ILL is such a great game.  IMO, Creighton, N. Iowa, Wichita St. and Souther ILL. should all be in the dance.

Well I'm obviously going to agree but Wichita State is in a whole bunch of trouble if they lose this but we our as well. The difference is the shockers would be 0 and 4 against the other top teams in the league if they lose this and we'd be 2 and 2 with at creighton and home vs uni left.

Edited by Rowand44

am i the only one really, really sick of packer's "if they played the game the right way" schtick? i mean, he has a point but goddamn does he just have to hammer us with this in every single f***ing game he broadcasts? sheesh.