Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...I can't believe we didn't move. I thought we'd fall out.

Week 14 ESPN/USA Today Poll

1. Connecticut (22) 20-1 761

2. Duke (8) 21-1 749

3. Memphis (1) 21-2 709

4. Villanova 17-2 677

5. Gonzaga 18-3 630

6. Florida 20-2 612

7. Texas 19-3 606

8. George Washington 18-1 505

9. Illinois 20-3 486

10. West Virginia 17-4 482

11. Michigan State 17-5 429

12. UCLA 19-4 410

13. Pittsburgh 17-3 384

14. Tennessee 16-3 380

15. N.C. State 18-4 339

16. Georgetown 16-4 306

17. Ohio State 16-3 303

18. Boston College 17-5 271

19. Iowa 18-5 192

20. Oklahoma 14-5 175

21. Indiana 13-6 110

22. Michigan 16-4 98

23. Washington 16-5 93

24. North Carolina 14-5 81

25. Colorado 15-4 45

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES

LSU 41, Kansas 40, Northern Iowa 36, UAB 33, Bucknell 29, California 9,

Miami 9, George Mason 8, Creighton 8, Wichita State 6, Nevada 6,

New Mexico 5, San Diego State 4, Kentucky 3, Wisconsin 2, Stanford 1,

Maryland 1, Florida State 1.

DROPPED FROM RANKINGS

Maryland 23, Northern Iowa 24.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 07:18 AM)
What the hell, did I miss "bash your team" weekend or something? At least none of you have it as bad as us NU people.  :P

This is going to sound weird since I've been bashing them all year, but I'm starting to warm up to the Illini a bit more. I used to whole-heartedly agree with Chisoxfn, but their defense has been better than I expected in Big Ten play, and McBride and Randle are starting to become bigger offensive threats. They definitely rely way too much on the 3, but they've started playing a bit better even if Dee shoots like crap. That said, they still have some tough teams left to go. They've still got a shot to win the conference, but they're going to have to win a tough one to compensate for that Penn State loss. They look like a #3 seed that'll make the Sweet 16, but I wouldn't count on them beating someone good. If they get a tough #6 seed they could go down though.

Indiana and Wisconsin also really seem to be slipping right now. I expected a drop-off from Wisconsin, but I didn't expect a loss to Purdue. Neither of them are in sync now, and that is really dangerous in the Big Ten. I think Indiana can still come up with a tough win somewhere with a good shooting night, but Wisconsin has been brutal.

That unexpected Illinois loss really seemed to open up the conference a lot. Now that Iowa has a one game lead on everyone their chances got a lot better, although they have to shoot more like they did the last few games than they did early. As I said last time, Illinois, MSU, and Michigan are right in the thick of it, and one of those teams will probably win the conference. I don't want to rule out OSU though because they have a balanced team that is fairly deep. They have a lot of tough games left though, and their best win to this point by far is Wisconsin at home.

I honestly think Illinois defense is why they will be right in the thick of things at the end of big 10 play. Its also the same reason Iowa should be right in the thick of a conference title.

Both teams have defenses that can help them when they have down shooting nights, but Iowa has a few more scorers than Illinois. Although Randle has been stepping up his game as of late. I just don't think either team has the firepower to get past the Sweet 16. I should also add I'll go nuts if Iowa makes it to the sweet 16.

I just expect baby steps from Iowa and I'm always waiting for them to fail me :lol:

Wow, I can't believe how closely my ballot for an online poll resembled this.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 12:03 PM)
Wow...I can't believe we didn't move.  I thought we'd fall out.

Week 14 ESPN/USA Today Poll

1. Connecticut (22) 20-1 761 Connecticut

2. Duke (8) 21-1 749 Memphis +1

3. Memphis (1) 21-2 709 Duke -1

4. Villanova 17-2 677 Villanova

5. Gonzaga 18-3 630 Gonzaga

6. Florida 20-2 612 Texas +1

7. Texas 19-3 606 Florida -1

8. George Washington 18-1 505 George Washington

9. Illinois 20-3 486 West Virginia +1

10. West Virginia 17-4 482 Illinois -1

11. Michigan State 17-5 429 Michigan State

12. UCLA 19-4 410 Pittsburgh +1

13. Pittsburgh 17-3 384 UCLA -1

14. Tennessee 16-3 380 Tennessee

15. N.C. State 18-4 339 NC State

16. Georgetown 16-4 306 Iowa +3

17. Ohio State 16-3 303 Indiana +4

18. Boston College 17-5 271 Ohio State -1

19. Iowa 18-5 192 Boston College -1

20. Oklahoma 14-5 175 Georgetown -4

21. Indiana 13-6 110 Washington +2

22. Michigan 16-4 98 Kansas +5

23. Washington 16-5 93 LSU +3

24. North Carolina 14-5 81 North Carolina

25. Colorado 15-4 45 UAB +4

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES

LSU 41, Kansas 40, Northern Iowa 36, UAB 33, Bucknell 29, California 9,

Miami 9, George Mason 8, Creighton 8, Wichita State 6, Nevada 6,

New Mexico 5, San Diego State 4, Kentucky 3, Wisconsin 2, Stanford 1,

Maryland 1, Florida State 1.

DROPPED FROM RANKINGS

Maryland 23, Northern Iowa 24.

Heh, I had all 15 teams within one spot. The Big 10 was the major difference, as I feel Iowa is a top 15 or so team right now, and Indiana's performance against UConn gave them hope...but I do feel I probably overrated them a bit and underrated Georgetown a bit. The last 5 spots are a clusterf***, as Michigan's asspounding dropped them out for me, and Kansas deserves to be in over a Colorado team that was thoroughly handled by ISU. I'd appreciate any criticism on my rankings, but I'm trying to watch enough basketball to make this worthwile.

I'm sure Gage will be surprised I have Iowa so high.

Wisconsin lost Stietsma and Landry to academic eligibility and since then have just not looked the same.

They were not the best players on the team, but I think the drop off between those 2 and Gullickson/ that walk on guy are pretty steep.

As for the comment Taylor and Tucker are ball hogs, that is just way off base. If you have watched Wisconsin lose the last few games, it was because the rest of the team shot for s***. They would then throw the ball to Tucker triple teamed and honestly that was their best chance to score.

Wisconsin's problem is they are just not shooting well, which is boom and bust. They could come out on fire and just waste a top team, or they could come out ice cold and lose to ND State. There is just no rhyme or reason, and that is the most frustrating. They are missing open looks, missing lay ups, etc.

Some times when you get on a bad streak it just keeps building and building.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 12:24 PM)
LSU should move into the polls, but instead Colorado holds the 25th spot.

LSU is no doubt better then Colorado in my mind but because they lost to bama this week it was going to be hard for them to get in the top 25.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 12:42 PM)
I totally agree. Plus JJ is a choke master in the NCAA tourney.

Plus Shelden Williams can't defend without fouling, which goes back to my refs comment. Plus, Duke's guards are all slow and white. I really could go on all day here, but Duke and Gonzaga are both going to get #1 seeds and neither will go very far.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 12:44 PM)
Plus Shelden Williams can't defend without fouling, which goes back to my refs comment.  Plus, Duke's guards are all slow and white.  I really could go on all day here, but Duke and Gonzaga are both going to get #1 seeds and neither will go very far.

I highly doubt the zags get a 1 but I do agree that neither is going to get very far. Duke can lose in the 2nd round depending on their matchup and I'd be shocked if the Zags did get past the 2nd round.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 12:44 PM)
Plus Shelden Williams can't defend without fouling, which goes back to my refs comment.  Plus, Duke's guards are all slow and white.  I really could go on all day here, but Duke and Gonzaga are both going to get #1 seeds and neither will go very far.

Agreed again, Shelden cannot play D without punching someone in the face. JJ has also mastered the elbow to the crouch to free himself move. I hate Duke, but I am really hating Gonzaga, and their cheesy ass fans. Hey lets scream like a dickens we are beating university of san diego by 500 on national tv.

Gonzaga doesn't deserve a 1, I agree Rowand. But they aren't going to lose in that weak ass league, and with the weak landscape overall this year, I like their chances to get a 1. And also, Gonzaga is really turning into Duke west with their fans and the refs in their league, I used to think they were cute but now it's annoying. And at least Duke plays tough teams in their league.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 12:48 PM)
Gonzaga doesn't deserve a 1, I agree Rowand.  But they aren't going to lose in that weak ass league, and with the weak landscape overall this year, I like their chances to get a 1.  And also, Gonzaga is really turning into Duke west with their fans and the refs in their league, I used to think they were cute but now it's annoying.  And at least Duke plays tough teams in their league.

Here's how I see it playing out: I think Duke and Uconn are pretty much locks to get 1's, then at most I see Texas and Memphis losing 1 game in conference. While I agree that the zags are going to go undefeated in conf, if texas and memphis each lose only 1 game then I believe those two will get the 1's. Also, Nova will have a shot to jump in there depending on how they do in the tourny, plus the home and home they still have left with Uconn. I really just can't see the zags getting a 1, I think they'll end up as a 2.