Official College Basketball Thread

I agree with UConn and Duke as #1 locks. I also think Texas may get a one. To be honest, I think Villanova has a very good shot at a 1 seed as well. If it comes down to Memphis and Gonzaga for that 4th #1 seed though, IMO Gonzaga gets it.

Both play in pretty weak leagues, and although Memphis beat Gonzaga, it was a close game in Memphis and I dunno, I just think the committee really wants to make Gonzaga a 1. Plus, I see Memphis losing a game or two more due to a lack of focus and the fact that CUSA has a couple DECENT teams at least, unlike the WCC.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 12:55 PM)
Speaking of nova, I'll throw out an interesting topic: Curtis Sumpter.  What do you guys think he's going to do and what do you think he should do?

Kinda reminds me of the Brian Randle situation last year. He could have played in the BTT and the NCAA Tourney, but chose to redshirt instead. I don't think it turned out to matter as he couldn't have guarded May in the title game, but it very well could have cost us that he took the medical redshirt. If i'm Sumpter, I redshirt and come back healthy next year to try and be a 1st round pick. But Villanova REALLY needs another guy that can play inside, so he would REALLY help them. It's an interesting situation to say the least.

UConn has a murderer's row type of schedule coming up.

Syracuse

at Seton hall

at Villanova

at West Virginia

Villanova

Louisville

There's a few gimmies in there with Notre Dame and South Florida, but other than that, I could see a few losses in there with any inconsistency.

Speaking of nova, I'll throw out an interesting topic: Curtis Sumpter. What do you guys think he's going to do and what do you think he should do?

Thats a ridiculously tough question for him. His team has a legitimate chance at the title this year, especially with his added skills. But, he also has alot of talent coming back next year, even with the loss of their top two guards. I see him red-shirting and playing his senior year with his long-time friend Jason Fraser.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 01:55 PM)
Speaking of nova, I'll throw out an interesting topic: Curtis Sumpter.  What do you guys think he's going to do and what do you think he should do?

It's all going to depend on his health. If he's at around 80% toward the end of the regular season, I'd go for it if I were him. That team would have a very good shot to win it all with a legit big man that can help out on the boards and be a real matchup problem. I'm not all that sure how good his NBA chances are either, which limits the potential harm of re-injuring it. Even if he did re-injure the knee, he might still be able to have a lucrative career in Europe if he took about 2 years off to try to get the injuries behind him. However, all indications seem to be that he's probably not going to be ready and that he'll redshirt. If he has the whole summer off to rehab, they could still have a fairly good team next year with him, Lowry, Nardi, and Cunningham developing a bit more.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 02:03 PM)
I see him red-shirting and playing his senior year with his long-time friend Jason Fraser.

Near as I can tell Fraser is out of years. He played at least 24 games in 3 previous seasons and has already played 19 this year. Kind of a sad turn of events, that guy used to be a budding star. Now apparently he's had so many injuries that he can't even dunk at 6'9".

The Sumpter situation is definitely interesting. I don't think they can win it all without him cause they really don't have any inside scoring presence. Frasor will just get eaten alive against an athletic big man cause the guy has no knees left. If Curtis could come back at lets say 80 percent and provide some inside scoring they do have a legit shot to win it all. Really tough decision, I'm happy I don't have to make it.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 01:08 PM)
Near as I can tell Fraser is out of years. He played at least 24 games in 3 previous seasons and has already played 19 this year. Kind of a sad turn of events, that guy used to be a budding star. Now apparently he's had so many injuries that he can't even dunk at 6'9".

His vertical must be like 2 inches right now. I feel bad for the guy cause like you said he had a ton of talent but like I said in my last post, an athletic big guy will just eat him alive now.

And the AP:

AP Top 25

1 Connecticut

2 Duke

3 Memphis

4 Villanova

5 Gonzaga

6 Texas

7 Florida

8 George Washington

9 West Virginia

10 Illinois

11 Tennessee

12 Michigan State

13 UCLA

14 Pittsburgh

15 Georgetown

16 North Carolina State

17 Boston College

18 Iowa

19 Ohio State

20 Oklahoma

21 Washington

22 Michigan

23 North Carolina

24 Indiana

25 Northern Iowa

Others Receiving Votes: LSU 116, Kansas 88, Bucknell 81, UAB 52, Creighton 40,

Wichita St. 30, Seton Hall 26, Colorado 24, Maryland 17, Nevada 16, Marquette 15,

California 14, Wisconsin 14, San Diego St. 8, George Mason 7, S. Illinois 6, Kent St. 4,

Louisville 4, Miami 3, Hofstra 2, Stanford 2, Wis.-Milwaukee 2, Florida St. 1, Utah St. 1.

Thats pretty funny. I knew he was a senior this year as well, but about a week ago I checked their roster and it had him listed as only a junior, so I figured he red-shirted a year during one of his many medical problems. But you are right, he is indeed a senior this year, so I can definitely see Sumpter coming back this year to go for it all.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)
And the AP:

AP Top 25

1 Connecticut

2 Duke

3 Memphis

4 Villanova

5 Gonzaga

6 Texas

7 Florida

8 George Washington

9 West Virginia

10 Illinois

11 Tennessee

12 Michigan State

13 UCLA

14 Pittsburgh

15 Georgetown

16 North Carolina State

17 Boston College

18 Iowa

19 Ohio State

20 Oklahoma

21 Washington

22 Michigan

23 North Carolina

24 Indiana

25 Northern Iowa

Others Receiving Votes: LSU 116, Kansas 88, Bucknell 81, UAB 52, Creighton 40,

Wichita St. 30, Seton Hall 26, Colorado 24, Maryland 17, Nevada 16, Marquette 15,

California 14, Wisconsin 14, San Diego St. 8, George Mason 7, S. Illinois 6, Kent St. 4,

Louisville 4, Miami 3, Hofstra 2, Stanford 2, Wis.-Milwaukee 2, Florida St. 1, Utah St. 1.

Northern Iowa?? :huh: Sure theyve had a great season, as has the rest of their league with SIU and Witchita St, but they lost. Not deserving. Iowa and Georgetown are underrated in both polls.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 02:33 PM)
Northern Iowa??  :huh: Sure theyve had a great season, as has the rest of their league with SIU and Witchita St, but they lost.  Not deserving.  Iowa and Georgetown are underrated in both polls.

Meh, don't get to worked up in the polls, it's cool to see your team in there but it's not like they mean anything.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 12:36 PM)
Meh, don't get to worked up in the polls, it's cool to see your team in there but it's not like they mean anything.

Iowa where they are right now is about fine, imo. I think they could be higher in the poll if you looked at the total picture, but at the same time, they are in a pretty fair place since they haven't exactly proven themselves as a powerhouse over the years (and while polls really mean this year, I think it always helps when your a sucessful program because often times you have players that have been there and done that and experience helps).

If Iowa finishes the year atop the big 10 standings, I could honestly give a hoot where they are ranked cause they'd be making the tourney and I'd already be more than pleased with my teams performance.

Hopefully they can make some noise in the tourney, but right now its just playing well consistently and trying to get one win after another.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 02:33 PM)
Northern Iowa??  :huh: Sure theyve had a great season, as has the rest of their league with SIU and Witchita St, but they lost.  Not deserving.  Iowa and Georgetown are underrated in both polls.

And they f***ing lost to Iowa freaking State as well. :P

The Importance of Defending the Homecourt: Winning home games can be crucial to a conference title run, as defending Big Ten champion Illinois (8-0) went undefeated in the friendly confines of Assembly Hall last season. Michigan State and Wisconsin, which finished second and third respectively in the league standings,  boasted only one conference loss on their homecourts last year. In fact, no Big Ten team in the past 14 seasons has lost more than one league home game and gone on to claim a share of the title. The last conference squad to accomplish that feat was Indiana, as the Hoosiers went 7-2 at home in 1991 but earned a tie with Ohio State. From 1990-2005, teams that won or shared the Big Ten title have compiled a cumulative home record of 170-14 (.924) in league games only. So far in 2006, four teams boast perfect home records in conference play in Indiana (5-0), Iowa (5-0), Michigan (4-0) and Michigan State (3-0), while three programs have dropped only one home contest in Illinois (4-1), Wisconsin (4-1) and Ohio State (3-1).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 12:19 AM)
Well the Hawks got two straight on the road.  First in Evanston against a team that has had our number and than Saturday (ESPN HD...WOOT) at IU. 

I'm pumped Iowa is getting more TV time this year.

Iowa will not win Saturday at IU. Better pin your hopes to Evanston.

And here's to hoping IU can add one more home loss to Wisconsin this week. I'm not holding my breath, but this is probably the best time to have to go there. It seems like they are a different team after losing to players to academics.

Gonzaga fans continue to make me want to throw up in my mouth. Foul on the other team, lets chant their name. Its like they listen to real programs and steal every one of their cheers. Hey, we are beating St. Mary's lets go nuts, we are so good.

They will lose again by sweet sixteen. Can we move them to the Pac 10 or something in basketball.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 11:25 PM)
I would love if St Mary's could some how pull this off.  I highly doubt it but the two other 33 game home win streaks went down with in this last week so who knows.

They jump like Duke Fans, do the 1,2,3 fould thing like kansas fans. Let me guess they go left, right after a foul out. I cannot wait till they go on probation for illegally recruiting Micah Downs, oh you will wait and see.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 11:28 PM)
They jump like Duke Fans, do the 1,2,3 fould thing like kansas fans.  Let me guess they go left, right after a foul out.  I cannot wait till they go on probation for illegally recruiting Micah Downs, oh you will wait and see.

Classic.

I don't follow recruiting, but I know there was a commit who just so happened to follow the money trail to Kansas with Self.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw recruiting violations... or something like that.