Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 12:10 AM)
Any teams you are impressed with not named Kansas?

No Valley teams, what a overhype machine.

Good teams are....

Connecticut

LSU

Texas

Washington

Georgetown

Duke

Michigan State

Final four right now has Uconn and mich state in as locsk.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 12:19 AM)
No Valley teams, what a overhype machine.

Good teams are....

Connecticut

LSU

Texas

Washington

Georgetown

Duke

Michigan State

Final four right now has Uconn and mich state in as locsk.

Have you watched Mich St play? The talent is there definitely, but they don't have the depth in the frontcourt Izzo's best teams have had, and Maurice Ager can be stopped. They are the Jekel and Hyde of college basketball this year. Can they get there, yes... are they a lock... far, far from it.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 12:24 AM)
Washington sucks, and LSU lost to "overhyped valley team" Northern Iowa AT HOME.  Also, Duke won't last long in March, Georgetown is going to need quite a favorable bracket, and Michigan State still doesn't play enough defense.  But hey, thanks for playing.

I'm with you for most of those. I do believe LSU is damn good though, thanks for defending the valley though. :) Agreed on Duke and MSU, Gtown is a team I do believe can go far in march though.

EDIT: Want to add about Washington, I'd be pretty shocked if they last past round 1. Obviously the brackets can change that thought process but they aren't good at all imo.

Edited by Rowand44

I'm not sold on G'Town's guards yet, their weak play is why they scored like 35 points (I know it was actually like 50) at Illinois. As for LSU, I've seem them twice, the loss to UNI and a game at Ohio State where they blew a 15 point lead in 3 minutes. And they play in the SEC, which is worse than the valley AND big 12.

So this Jayhawk team has won 13 of 15. They are in sole possession of 2nd place in the Big 12. Every win, except one, has been by double digits. They have two freshmen that have won the Big 12 Freshmen of the Week award a total of 3 times. They lead the nation in FG% defense. They had a stretch of about 5 games where they were averaging 90 points a game. They beat Oklahoma. And they just wiped the floor with Nebraska in Lincoln, for their FOURTH ROAD WIN in the conference

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 12:40 AM)
f*** i'll just wait til KU has another Bucknell-esque exit, then have him eat it. He's just enjoying running his mouth while he can. And yes, it's running his mouth, not providing any rational thought or logic.

This illini team reminds me of last year's jayhawks

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 12:53 AM)
This illini team reminds me of last year's jayhawks

Which doesn't mean anything, since your clueless. And I like that set of stats you presented us, but please, beat SOMEBODY, ANYBODY who doesn't suck. You had a very nice comeback win at home to squeak by Oklahoma, who's decent. You had a very nice road win at Colorado, who is ok I guess since their record says so. But that's about it.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 01:32 AM)
We have BAM, you have Self

Quit posting already

oh stop im having some fun, dont take it so seriously, yikes.

i was a little drinkey, sorry about the obvious homerism(if such a word)

Edited by Jimbo's Drinker

Weber sure has long day today:

Illinois Basketball Coach Bruce Weber to Visit ESPN Studios Thursday

CHAMPAIGN, ILL- Illinois men's basketball coach Bruce Weber will visit the ESPN Studios in Bristol, Conn., on Thursday, Feb. 9, and is scheduled to appear several times during the afternoon and evening on different mediums, including ESPN.com, ESPN Radio, ESPN News and ESPN. Below is his schedule for the day:

2 p.m. CT - Chat on ESPN.com

4-4:30 p.m. CT - The Hot List on ESPNEWS

5-6 p.m. - SportsCenter on ESPN

5:30 p.m. CT - ESPNU

6-7 p.m. CT - Classic Now on ESPN Classic

6-7 p.m. CT - 4 Qtrs on ESPNEWS

11:20 p.m. CT - Gamenight

Weber will appear on wraps throughout the night at halftime and between games on the network. Games scheduled for the evening:

ESPN - 6 p.m. - Ohio State at Michigan

8 p.m. - West Virginia at Pittsburgh

ESPN 2 - 6 p.m. - LSU vs. Tennessee (women)

8 p.m. - St. John's at Georgetown

10 p.m. - Pacific at Cal State Fullerton

I still can't believe that NU actually won a game. Both teams were awful. They both had 17 turnovers and Iowa shot like 35%, as did NU minus Vedran. Doyle was the only other guy that really did anything on NU with 8 points, but I can't really say he had a good game. Iowa just couldn't get any kind of shots, even 3's. I couldn't believe how bad they looked. Even as poorly as they played, it took a couple of 3's from NU scrubs (you know you suck when you can't get playing time for NU :P ) Seacat and Jenkins to put NU in front. I will say this for the Cats, they play pretty good defense. If they had anyone that could score other than Vedran, they'd be dangerous.

As for the Big Ten race, I think MSU has a real edge because of their schedule. They get most of their tough games at home (Illini, Michigan, OSU, Wisconsin) and have manageable games on the road (Minnesota, Indiana, Iowa is fairly tough). I think they should definitely go at least 4-3 with that stretch, and there is definitely a possibility that they can do better than that given their homecourt advantage.

Iowa also has a good shot if they can beat MSU at home or Indiana on the road. At Illinois looks like the only probable loss, and @Minnesota, home against PSU and Wisconsin looks winnable. If they win one of the first group, that's 11-5. I think both of these teams do it.

Michigan also has a good shot, but they have some tough games left. They still have to go to MSU and OSU (and Purdue, but who cares about that one). However, they get Illinois, OSU, Indiana, and Minnesota at home. If they can defend home court, that puts them at the 11-5 mark too. Illinois can do it also, but they're in a somewhat tough spot. They have 3 pretty tough road games left (OSU, MSU, Michigan), and they have to take at least one of them (we all know that can't be counted on in the Big Ten). Their home games are pretty favorable, with Indiana, Iowa, NU, and Minnesota coming to Champaign. I think one of these teams also goes 11-5, with a lot of that depending on who wins when they play again. I'd lean towards Michigan because of the home court in that matchup.

OSU has kind of a mixed bag left with their schedule. They get 2 dogs at home (NU and Purdue) and one on the road (NU), which looks like 3 wins. Their other 5 games are tough though, with Illinois and Michigan at home and MSU, Michigan, and Wisconsin on the road. They have to win three of those to get to 11-5. They might be able to do it, but they're a really tough team to guage since they have had an easier schedule than most.

Given that homecourt advantage seems to dictate what happens in this conference, that would make a tie at 11-5 between MSU and Michigan. OSU, Illinois and Iowa have to win at least one road game to get there (Illinois would probably knock one of those 3 down to 10-6 if they did), with Iowa having the best shot (Indiana). Who knows what happens though, since we had two of the contenders fall to PSU and NU recently.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 02:51 PM)
the big ten has just been a bloodbath for road teams this year.

(outside of psu at illinois :banghead )

The only road wins of note in the entire conference are MSU at Indiana, Illinois at Wisconsin, and PSU at Illinois. That's pretty scary for a conference that supposedly has 7 tournament worthy teams.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 02:18 PM)
More fun from JJ Redick. Here was his gesture after his 3.

292114.jpg

And here's what it means,

Hanover shocker

Yet nothing will ever be made of it, and Rashad McCants was a thug because he threw up Jay-Z's "diamond" symbol after 3's. Nice.

Ah cmon now, it's not a big deal. That sign is shown a ton, go to a Wichita State game and you'll see everyone doing it, hell..my im bball team did it all the time last year(we were the shockers). No biggy.